A Potential Answer for our Guard Issue Next Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Potential Answer for our Guard Issue Next Year

Reaction Score
LOL!!! I now came the the realization that there are UConn haters out there besides MM and PS and their followers. Why? I do not know as Coach Geno runs a pretty clean and reputable program. The players were and are great role models. Do we a chance of a hopefully not UConn hater like Ms. Abby Meyers from Princeton? Just asking. :):)

Reaction Score
We’re losing Westbrook and CW, still have Paige, Azzi, Nika, and Caroline (who can play guard or forward). Don’t forget Aubrey, she is an excellent ball handler and is shorter than Caroline. There are several in the transfer portal already if Geno wants another guard. I think next year Geno plays two guards and Caroline at forward, and two Bigs. He could also play one guard, Caroline, Aubrey, Dorka or Edwards, and one of the freshman bigs or DeBerry or Piath. His problem next year is keeping all the big people happy. The guard issue is much less a problem in my view.
I just hope one of our remaining Bigs steps up after Edwards and Dorka. As of right now I have a lot of concerns as to who that can be. A massive amount of growth needs to be made during the summer and pre-season. And at the moment Dorka is still a question mark. If she bails we need to know that soon and will be desperate for a quality transfer.

Reaction Score
She's a Uconn hater, not gonna happen.
Why? I think the answer is really important to know. It could be revealing regarding our future. Geno won't be our coach forever. I think a lot of people just throw out the "not a good match" reason because it is uncomfortable to dig deeper and ask, why.

Reaction Score
LOL!!! I now came the the realization that there are UConn haters out there besides MM and PS and their followers. Why? I do not know as Coach Geno runs a pretty clean and reputable program. The players were and are great role models. Do we a chance of a hopefully not UConn hater like Ms. Abby Meyers from Princeton? Just asking. :):)
I think there was one incident where Arike posted her top 5 and Geno made a mocking joke on Twitter, funny because now most people do that, but still that rubbed people the wrong way. Then Geno started using less Twitter after that tweet. I'm sure someone pr wise told him was not a smart thing to do seeing as that is a way for kids to basically tell teams nicely which schools should stop recruiting them.

Reaction Score
I may be totally wrong on this but I thought Connecticut initially showed interest and then backed away for someone else and she became very salty and very negative Connecticut. But that may be a old guy memory so don’t hold me to it.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I just hope one of our remaining Bigs steps up after Edwards and Dorka. As of right now I have a lot of concerns as to who that can be. A massive amount of growth needs to be made during the summer and pre-season. And at the moment Dorka is still a question mark. If she bails we need to know that soon and will be desperate for a quality transfer.
We have two very skilled bigs coming in which will fill Liv's void. Brady and Patterson are highly rated and Ice for one is a more solid body type like Boston. I think we'll be ok there. It's guards where we may be short.

Reaction Score
We have two very skilled bigs coming in which will fill Liv's void. Brady and Patterson are highly rated and Ice for one is a more solid body type like Boston. I think we'll be ok there. It's guards where we may be short.
Our freshman post player was highly rated too. If Geno thinks it isn't going to work out, he should look at bigs. Remember the name Isnelle Natabou. She plays in a weak conference but had a heck of a sophomore season after transferring from juco. She is a hidden gem that may look to move up to a more elite school.

Reaction Score
Both Ice and Ayanna looked pretty good in the official McDonalds All American game. Ayanna looks like she can defend and rebound well. Ice might have a better outside shot than any of our current bigs. I think both get significant PT next year.

Reaction Score
Both Ice and Ayanna looked pretty good in the official McDonalds All American game. Ayanna looks like she can defend and rebound well. Ice might have a better outside shot than any of our current bigs. I think both get significant PT next year.
The last thing we really need is an outside shooting big. Let’s get someone that can bang the inside and shoot from 4 feet away along with not getting pushed around by opposition posts.

Reaction Score
no idea if there's a line or not but it only takes one good player to make it work........there's a big difference between a grad transfer or senior looking for one special season and a freshman or sophomore who sees four years coming off the bench in their future.....
Unfortunately, it also only takes one good player to mess it up, need someone who wants to play for Geno and does not disturb team chemistry.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it also only takes one good player to mess it up, need someone who wants to play for Geno and does not disturb team chemistry.
that's for sure but I think Geno and the other coaches do a good job bringing in transfers that seem to fit the UConn profile.........the players they have brought in like Butler, Camara and Stevens were positive additions off the court and on the court......

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You’re talking to the wrong people. Dorka is definitely coming back. Aubrey also will be raring to go. Lol

Reaction Score
I don't understand the obsession with a 5th guard, as if the Coach is wedded to playing only a certain way: 3 guards and 2 bigs or sometimes 4 and a big. He adapts playing style according to his roster.

While the current collection of tall girls does not have one who can play a mobile wing, I understand that Ayanna would qualify. And, if he wants to play 3 guards, Caroline is the best candidate among them to play wing but it does not preclude playing Azzi, Paige and Nika at the same time. But, as someone pointed out, how easily some people forget about Aubrey.

Were it not for the injury, the effort to remold Aubrey would have progressed this year. That Aubrey project will continue - he likes her athleticism, they are trying to fix the weaknesses - although it lost a good year for it to progress. For coaches, this is the fun of challenges in College BB: coaching players to find their best positions and roles, refining their abilities and expanding their capabilities.

Yes, I understand the fans' trauma from this year's injuries mostly to guards and Geno's proclivity of play incoming guards as wings or occasionally F (see Katie Lou and Gabby.....didn't Megan play as a guard as well in HS?) feeds the more-guards-needed notion but he really looks at the roster and tries to balance the use of his players' qualities in maximizing their chances to win.

The roster for next year is fine - different from heavy use of the tall guards at his disposal this year, since he likes to play fast. The forwards will be a bit crowded for playing time since Dorka is coming back (which is quite good....). There six tall ones, with Aubrey - if you count her there - a seventh. So, if the coaching staff continues with the remaking of Aubrey into guard/wing and expanding Ayanna's role to wing as well (knowing this coaching staff, I am certain they are looking at that), the ability to play fast remains undiminished. But, the possibilities grow for playing against bigger teams with advantage in mobility and flexibility while the ability to dominate smaller teams remains intact.

Reaction Score
Honestly tho, Geno is probably going to play Paige and Azzi like 35 minutes a game and Nika will play the rest and some alongside the two. I understand the lesson that this season has taught us is that injuries can happen anytime. But I am not the biggest fan, in womens college basketball especially, of super talented players sitting on the bench and not getting much playing time. Not to say another guard wouldn't be nice but I'd be bummed for Abby Meyers or Dyaisha Fair to come to UConn and get 8 minutes a game. That's probably just me tho.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There is so much going on that we don't know about. Let Geno do his job. We have no idea what he has to deal with.

Reaction Score
Easily answered, he is a man who is in the HOF, and is by far the most dominant and best coach ever in a women's game. This fact burned PS to no end, as well as MM. Even NBA teams have been interested in him as a head coach, this kills them. People like Pam Ward, Deb Antonelli, Carolyn Peck, and a few others always bite their tongues whenever UConn wins, it just kills them. The only women sportscaster who ever showed Geno an ounce of respect was Doris Burke, and guess what? Most of the Geno haters refused to work with her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom