A Pivotal Play SU – Hudson Pick 6 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Pivotal Play SU – Hudson Pick 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wonder how many times we've run trips wide this year. Seems like the Fruit made a pretty easy and quick adjustment to that formation based off of 1 play in their red zone. I wish we could have made easy and quick adjustments to being toasted over the top so frequently.

Reaction Score
Conclusion – It is difficult to say with 100% certainty … but it appeared SU was ready for this play before the ball was even snapped. Their FS, LDE, SLB, and MLB all took a different and more successful approach to a play they had already seen. The FS even waited until right before the ball was snapped before making his run down into the middle ... in coordination with Franklin sliding with Shirreffs.

Although it succeeded in the first half … I’m not even sure I like the design of the play at all. Much like a few plays in the UVA game … it puts too many receivers into a small area and makes them easier to defend. If you consider how SU defended the zone read by continuously scraping the SLB off the SDE then it appears that the SU defensive coaches had just as much success against the UCONN offense as the SU offensive coaches had against the UCONN defense.

In the week leading up to the SU game … nobody would have predicted that SU’s D would make one of the most decisive plays of the game.

Putting multiple receivers in a small area may help the QB with his read progression but as you say, makes it easier to defend and puts multiple defenders in the same general area to grab deflections which is what happened. These breakdowns are great....hope you keep them coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom