A Passionate Bob Diaco Talks About the conFLiCT & National Reaction | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Passionate Bob Diaco Talks About the conFLiCT & National Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diaco said "This wasn't one sided.. until they [UCF] decided that it should be and you know why that happened"... Did something deeper happen here that he is alluding to between the schools before the first game happened? I'm asking because I don't know - curious if someone has more information on "why that happened"

Queued up here:

Reaction Score
Man way too much energy/time wasted on this stupid flicking thing. melt the thing down and make a GD BC-UConn rivalry trophy. That would be worth the effort

Reaction Score
I like fiery Bob!!! Although, I did get a chuckle out his explanation of the whole thing. But, I think Bob answered his own question. They're asking you about it because it was your idea Bob!!! Although I don't mind his idea of targeting a younger audience (before they're exposed to real college football) to generate a bigger following, how about giving your current fan base something that's watchable. Maybe you should spend more time figuring out how to score touchdowns in the red zone, or how your giving away 1/3 of the football game on special teams. Perhaps YOUR defense needs some of your attention? If you want people to notice Bob, it's pretty simple....WIN in your conference, first. Put fannies in the seats. Then you can schedule some of the big boys out-of-conference. Win some of those, people will notice. You do that consistently, everything else will take care of itself. It worked for both basketball programs. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Take a good hard look in the mirror Bob. You're good enough. You're smart enough. Gosh darn it, people will like U...Conn. It's your ball inside the 20, don't fubar it up!!!

Reaction Score
Diaco said "This wasn't one sided.. until they [UCF] decided that it should be and you know why that happened"... Did something deeper happen here that he is alluding to... ]

My guess is new Coach/new AD @ UCF (new AD @ UConn as well but I don't think he was referencing DB)

Reaction Score
Look. I don't know how good a coach Diaco will ultimately turn out to be, but he's genuine. He might even be a little crazy, but he's not a liar. If UCF deliberately left that trophy behind it was a genuinely classless act. There was a way to kill that thing without embarrassing Diaco and the program. I get folks being frustrated with the season and Diaco. But the sentiment on this issue is really clear to me - duckK UCF!

I admire you for speaking up. I have posted disappointment about the coaching decisions this season and how desperately things need to be fixed. But having said that I don't slight Bob Diaco for attempting to create excitement with the ConFLiCT trophy. Part of his job is to market the program in basically a start up league. That's why he holds those functions in the summer. It's part of his contract.

We had no history with UCF and Bob Diaco was trying to stimulate interest and excitment. It certainly wasn't the worst idea in the world. I felt Scott Frost and UCF did a classless act by dissing the trophy. College football is attractive because of all of the pomp and excitment. If I was Diaco, I would be really pi$$ed off at Scott Frost for embarrassing our players, our coach and our university and frankly Boneyarders should too. Say what you want but wether or not one likes Bob Diaco as a coach we shouldn't condone this type of disrespect. I am sure there will be a lot of interest in this game next year. I hope we blow UCF's doors in! I agree duckKUCF!

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
In a perfect world (admittedly, my own little one):

The team - either HCBD and a couple of assistants, or the team captains, or a mix of both - immediately makes a video of themselves destroying that ConFLiCT trophy in an open field, 'Office Space' - style. Then, they vow to deliver a similar beatdown to UCF next season on the field.

What started out as humorous and flippant, deserves to go out the same way. Squash it and move on to other things, like WINNING.

-__-

Reaction Score
Watching this guy flounder and reach deeper into his can of Chock full of Nuts is so depressing. I actually feel bad for him. He' so lost there is no hope.

It would appear to me that anyone would put a disrespectful picture of in a football uniform in his avatar is himself pretty lost.

Reaction Score
I admire you for speaking up. I have posted disappointment about the coaching decisions this season and how desperately things need to be fixed. But having said that I don't slight Bob Diaco for attempting to create excitement with the ConFLiCT trophy. Part of his job is to market the program in basically a start up league. That's why he holds those functions in the summer. It's part of his contract.

We had no history with UCF and Bob Diaco was trying to stimulate interest and excitment. It certainly wasn't the worst idea in the world. I felt Scott Frost and UCF did a classless act by dissing the trophy. College football is attractive because of all of the pomp and excitment. If I was Diaco, I would be really pi$$ed off at Scott Frost for embarrassing our players, our coach and our university and frankly Boneyarders should too. Say what you want but wether or not one likes Bob Diaco as a coach we shouldn't condone this type of disrespect. I am sure there will be a lot of interest in this game next year. I hope we blow UCF's doors in! I agree duckKUCF!
I agree. HCBD should double down and engrave the thing with UCF 2016 then FedEx it to them with a note that says hey morons you forgot the trophy. Take care of it cuz we'll be back for it next year. If it's not on the field next year he has no choice but to go all Liberty Valance on Scott Frost. Then beat the kr@pp out of UCF on our way to an undefeated season. F UCF!

The crazier he gets the more I like the guy...but there's that winning thing. Whatever.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'll buck the trend and say I liked the idea. Good use of north vs south and I liked the FL and the CT in the title. Yes, winning helps more than anything, but what's wrong with creating some kind of rivalry game? Outside of BC and Rutgers who aren't on our schedule regularly, we have no rivals. Maybe 'cuse too. I'd love something that could rival the Backyard Brawl or Rid River Shootout someday. Someone has to start them. And O'Leary for either outright lying (again) or being too old to remember that he agreed to it and apparently looked forward to it. Bob is batsh*t crazy, but he's also very passionate and was doing what he could. If he was as capable of a coach as he is passionate about his job, we'd have the greatest coach in NCAA history. Unfortunately he's not, but I can dream.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The team - either HCBD and a couple of assistants, or the team captains, or a mix of both - immediately makes a video of themselves destroying that ConFLiCT trophy in an open field, 'Office Space' - style. Then, they vow to deliver a similar beatdown to UCF next season on the field.
Love it. It would certainly go viral. If while they're smashing it we could hear audio of O'Leary saying what he did about looking forward to UCONN coming down the next year, it would make UCF look like a bunch of douches.

Reaction Score
I'll buck the trend and say I liked the idea. Good use of north vs south and I liked the FL and the CT in the title.
Then you should ask for the game to be on Nickelodeon...

Reaction Score
Eh, he tried something different. I don't get why he is getting killed the way he is. Bottom line is he needs to start winning games and forget about trophies and made-up rivalries. just win games Bob.

Reaction Score

Agreed! I like that Coach is trying to create some substance in a newly created league. Unfortunately, UCF was classless and we need to beat the hell out of them next year.

I tried looking up the tv rating for this game specifically and compare them to other games UConn and UCF have played in the 1) Hartford/New Haven area and the 2) Orlando market but no data exists. Would love to see how they compare...

Reaction Score
It would appear to me that anyone would put a disrespectful picture of in a football uniform in his avatar is himself pretty lost.
Hardly. It's origins relate to the decision by UConn to push out a coordinator for sharing his faith. What was disrespectful was Herbst's intolerance. I'd provide more detail in regards to separation of church and state and it's historical antecedents, but you wouldn't understand.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In all candor who gives a F%&# about the stupid trophy/faux rivalry? The reality is this: if he figures out how to get us to the to at least where we were over Edsall's last few years he'll be viewed as eccentric for the trophy (among other things). If not, he'll be in our collective rest view mirrors and it will no longer matter.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Regardless of who's lying or who's telling the truth here, it was made abundantly clear by numerous UCF officials all along that they had no idea about the trophy and it was a contrived way to create a false rivalry where none had ever existed before. Our own HC admits he went ahead with it anyway despite no interest in it from the other party involved, and the result on Saturday was a giant embarrassment to our football program, our national brand, and any shred of respect any conference opponent had left for us.

The fact that he's too stupid to see where this thing was headed speaks volumes about his lack of judgment.

We have a marketing dept. within athletics. These matters should be left to them. Coaches aren't supposed to be wasting time establishing false rivalries. They're paid to coach the players and win games. Let the marketing dept. handle the promotional stuff. That's their job.

Reaction Score
Hardly. It's origins relate to the decision by UConn to push out a coordinator for sharing his faith. What was disrespectful was Herbst's intolerance. I'd provide more detail in regards to separation of church and state and it's historical antecedents, but you wouldn't understand.

Okay, calm down, take a breath. How about responding like this. Yeah I know the Avatar looks a little different but it's origins relate to the decision by UConn to push out a coordinator for sharing his faith. What was disrespectful was Herbst's intolerance.

I kind of thought there was a different twist since the score was Jesus 7 and Herbst 0. No need to get into a theological conversation on the Bondyard. I will say, I didn't like the way Herbst handled it either and maybe if Jesus was in the huddle, we wouldn't be 3-5! LOL!

Sorry didn't mean to offend you.

Reaction Score
You know what 6-16 year olds like to watch? Points and wins. No kid is out in his/her backyard daydreaming about punting on 4th-and-inches from the opponent's 40 yard line.
Boom! Spot on!

Reaction Score
Look. I don't know how good a coach Diaco will ultimately turn out to be, but he's genuine. He might even be a little crazy, but he's not a liar. If UCF deliberately left that trophy behind it was a genuinely classless act. There was a way to kill that thing without embarrassing Diaco and the program. I get folks being frustrated with the season and Diaco. But the sentiment on this issue is really clear to me - duckK UCF!

Here are two perfect examples of what Wacky Bob was trying to create! We now have people pizzed off at UCF that would have never been in the past. ;) The guy could be a genius for creating the trophy that the loser has to keep! :D That could be his legacy providing he learns how to win games. Then again it could be his legacy should he not. :(
Bob could have insured either a continuance or a pizzing match had he met their coach midfield with the trophy for the post game hand shake. He had great intentions but dropped the ball. :confused:

Reaction Score

I wouldn't want a teacher telling me that we had to have jesus in our classroom to succeed - I'm glad they fired him/he resigned

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The guy could be a genius for creating the trophy that the loser has to keep! :D

Ooh, that is indeed genius.

I also like the idea of UConn bringing the trophy to every game and raising it high at every victory. Just put a new opponent label on it every week. Think of it as a wrestling championship belt that we parade around with no intentions of sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom