A Passionate Bob Diaco Talks About the conFLiCT & National Reaction | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A Passionate Bob Diaco Talks About the conFLiCT & National Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How do we make these games relevant Coach Vineyard Vines? How about winning more than 1/3 of your FBS games?

Though I will say I've seen complaints on this board when UConn has scheduled games against schools like Buffalo as opposed to higher profile teams, even though Buffalo is more likely a win. So it's not _just_ about winning. It's about caring who the opponent is. In a WTF conference, seems like Diaco was trying to create a rivalry and thus increase fan interest. Perhaps flawed execution, but seems like the right idea.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Bob Diaco may not be a good gameday coach, but I think he is completely earnest. The passion and positivity is not an act. If he ever does get this program to the promised land, and I seriously doubt he will, but if he does he's going to have the whole state on the bandwagon like Huskymania in the late 80's.

Reaction Score
Okay, calm down, take a breath. How about responding like this. Yeah I know the Avatar looks a little different but it's origins relate to the decision by UConn to push out a coordinator for sharing his faith. What was disrespectful was Herbst's intolerance.

I kind of thought there was a different twist since the score was Jesus 7 and Herbst 0. No need to get into a theological conversation on the Bondyard. I will say, I didn't like the way Herbst handled it either and maybe if Jesus was in the huddle, we wouldn't be 3-5! LOL!

Sorry didn't mean to offend you.
No problem. We've all been trained to go to immediate attack mode on the BY...can be a tough place. I apologize for jumping down your throat too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tight now Bob needs a healthy dose of STFU.

Win first.

Similar to:
Q-What's the difference between being eccentric and being crazy?
A- About $1m.

Bob would be much more enjoyable with his quips, stories and anecdotes if he'd win more often.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Something tells me he's getting a lot of internal flack from it as well.

That doesn't change what he says to the press though.

Hey I was getting creative, trying to get the guys fired up, trying to make things fun... hasn't worked out as well as I hoped.

Then go directly into talking about East Carolina.

This isn't rocket science.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
F<&k UCF! Looks like the ConFLiCT worked after all...

Reaction Score

Hey I was getting creative, trying to get the guys fired up, trying to make things fun... hasn't worked out as well as I hoped.

I don't know. He's usually good about moving on and playing things off, he probably feels embarrassed and just didn't handle it well. He's still human. An... interesting one, but still human.

Reaction Score

My guess is that the losing is getting to him and this is the first time he's failed at anything or at least has heard a chorus of complaints. This is virgin ground and he has no experience dealing with it publicly

Reaction Score
Though I will say I've seen complaints on this board when UConn has scheduled games against schools like Buffalo as opposed to higher profile teams, even though Buffalo is more likely a win. So it's not _just_ about winning. It's about caring who the opponent is. In a what conference, seems like Diaco was trying to create a rivalry and thus increase fan interest. Perhaps flawed execution, but seems like the right idea.

Rivalries are created on the field. You just don't wake up one day and create one out of no where.

As for his presser today, yikes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I do not like BD as a HC in what I've seen so far. I sincerely think he wants to succeed and he really loves the kids. I am guessing he was using this (in my opinion) idiotic trophy/fake rivalry thing to excite the kids/fan base and looked at the success of the pre 2015 UCF program and wanted to beat them badly.
If UCF did snub him/UConn by leaving the trophy it is classless and screw them.
However, the fake rivalry stuff isn't going to make the game more relevant to me and I'm guessing to 90% of the fan base.
Winning and playing exciting football is going to do it
Watching this video - I almost felt sorry for him

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Bob being Bob, always thinking six moves ahead when we can't even beat a team that won zero games last year. Like others have said if he ever started winning he'd be a mad genius. Instead...

Reaction Score
I wouldn't want a teacher telling me that we had to have jesus in our classroom to succeed - I'm glad they fired him/he resigned

Then you obviously wouldn't want Bobby Bowdin, the 2nd winningest coach in D-1 college football history (377) .743 winning % coaching UCONN either. I guess you would want to fire him too. FYI Earnest Jones didn't get fired, he resigned.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
He's starting to sound like the 'We need more dogs" guy.

Reaction Score
Here is a video of Diaco's response on the trophy

I wasn't sure what to expect before watching this, but after doing so I came away from it thinking well he's not wrong. The American was a thrown together conference with little shared history and little interest nationally. He recognized this and tried to do something to drum up some excitement for an otherwise non relevant conference game. Was it a little misguided? Maybe. Did it work? Yeah it kind of did. Personally I think the dude is bat schit crazy, but in an incredibly entertaining way. I just wish this imagination would manifest itself on the field in his offensive and defensive schemes a whole lot more.

Reaction Score
Then you obviously wouldn't want Bobby Bowdin, the 2nd winningest coach in D-1 college football history (377) .743 winning % coaching UCONN either. I guess you would want to fire him too. FYI Earnest Jones didn't get fired, he resigned.

No, I wouldn't. If I was good enough I wouldn't have played for him either. In this video Bobby Bowdin literally said taking jesus out of schools is why rape and murders happen "all the time" when in fact we are living in the safest time period throughout history. The "Christian Persecution" complex needs to end. It's just a matter of old people feeling uncomfortable that their beliefs aren't the recognized norms anymore.

Reaction Score
I wasn't sure what to expect before watching this, but after doing so I came away from it thinking well he's not wrong. The American was a thrown together conference with little shared history and little interest nationally. He recognized this and tried to do something to drum up some excitement for an otherwise non relevant conference game. Was it a little misguided? Maybe. Did it work? Yeah it kind of did. Personally I think the dude is bat schit crazy, but in an incredibly entertaining way. I just wish this imagination would manifest itself on the field in his offensive and defensive schemes a whole lot more.

I literally don't think it worked... until now. If we're stuck in the same league as UCF over the next decade and Diaco somehow becomes our program savior this game will always have a big red circle around it. You can tell he feels disrespected and embarrassed over the situation.

Reaction Score
Ooh, that is indeed genius.

I also like the idea of UConn bringing the trophy to every game and raising it high at every victory. Just put a new opponent label on it every week. Think of it as a wrestling championship belt that we parade around with no intentions of sharing.

We should screw the trophy into the table leg and we could hold it up high when we take the field like the Roman legions when they were on the battlefield and they had their shield of arms on a staff. If and when we start to win it would strike fear into the hearts of our opponents and give us strength. I kid, somewhat but it is time to start winning. We will have attitude this Saturday. I know I will. It is time to cut the BS and start hitting on all cylinders. I've had it with being doormats.

Reaction Score
And this is why we must protect basketball at all costs and move to the big east. Hopefully the AAC will keep this team and this nutjob. If not- DROP IT. Protect basketball (the sport that gave UConn a name) AT ALL COSTS.

Hey Bob- if you were a halfway decent ****g coach, like our basketball coach, you'd win some important games. That will get you fan support. Not these duck**d up little stories you have in your head about how to "market" your team. Clown.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
And this is why we must protect basketball at all costs and move to the big east.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog