A Passionate Bob Diaco Talks About the conFLiCT & National Reaction | Page 5 | The Boneyard

A Passionate Bob Diaco Talks About the conFLiCT & National Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If only God had thought to grant these rights to the slaves owned by the people who wrote this stuff down.

It's freedom of religion as long as the religion is yours. Got it.
It's why we don't have slaves anymore in Christian countries where's slavery still exists in certain Islamic countries and condoned under Sharia. And,no, that's not it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Very thoughtful and well presented. While I don't necessarily agree with all you state, I can certainly appreciate your position.

Snarky comments to a post and position such as you state are probably driven by a either a lack of intellectual integrity or an unwillingness to invest the time and energy to respond in as thoughtful a manner as you have.

Yes, it's a lack of intellectual integrity on this side of the argument. Not the side invoking those words written by people who didn't observe them in their own time.

Unwillingness to waste time on such a convoluted argument - you got that right.

Reaction Score
100% this! BD is a football coach who is paid to win games. Creating trophies and rivalries does nothing to help him win games. UCONN has a marketing department for that.

Although I disagreed with the extent to which he tore down the program, I agreed with his efforts to instill a culture of team and family. But if he insists on devoting time and energy to creating trophies ... he may not be around to enjoy the rebuilt program culture.

Here are just a few of the outside responsibilities in Bob Diaco's contract. Promotion of UCONN football is an important part of his role or any other D-1 head coach. It goes with the territory. The trophy to me was just evidence of how much he cared about creating interest. I was taught that was going outside the 9 dots.

Here is the contract which includes various promotional engagements requirements as stipulated:

You can also read the full contract here.

Reaction Score
It's why we don't have slaves anymore in Christian countries where's slavery still exists in certain Islamic countries and condoned under Sharia. And,no, that's not it.
Condoned under what circumstances, according to the shari'ah? Let's hear, genius. Slavery was here until the 1960s. You forget Mexico and other Latin American countries, too?

This board's devolved into the Cesspool. Thanks, BlueDogs.

Reaction Score
Yes, it's a lack of intellectual integrity on this side of the argument. Not the side invoking those words written by people who didn't observe them in their own time.

Unwillingness to waste time on such a convoluted argument - you got that right.

Didn't mean to strike a nerve Whaler.

Reaction Score
This one killed me: "Coach Vineyard Vines" Hahhaha!!! In all honest, I felt a little bad for Diaco here, he was trying to do this with all good intentions. But here's the deal- why is it his job to make games more "fun" or establish marketing plans for UConn Football or the AAC?? Like, what?!?! How about just focusing on recruiting nasty kids to play here, and winning -ing football games! That'll make the fan base interested again. I've come to realize Diaco is really like the Michael Scott of the FBS. lol
tumblr_n178nnHCCn1ttv3vao1_500.jpg
I want a footnote. I called him The Michael Scott of football coaches weeks ago. I like that pic though.

Reaction Score
Here are just a few of the outside responsibilities in Bob Diaco's contract. Promotion of UCONN football is an important part of his role or any other D-1 head coach. It goes with the territory. The trophy to me was just evidence of how much he cared about creating interest. I was taught that was going outside the 9 dots.

Here is the contract which includes various promotional engagements requirements as stipulated:

You can also read the full contract here.
1) That's a real stretch. He's paid fees for promotional events, speaking events, awards ceremonies, foundation dinners....... in other words, he's paid to make appearances.
2) the most important part of the job is to win football games. 3 years in and he's 11-22, and no, I will not write off his first year, because he basically admitted he wasn't trying to win.

Reaction Score
This country... is a Christian nation.
Not really. This country is a nation of believers, the majority of whom happen to be Christian. Mere preponderance does not however serve as its descriptor. After all, even though our planet is predominately blue we still call it Earth, not Water.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
1) That's a real stretch. He's paid fees for promotional events, speaking events, awards ceremonies, foundation dinners.. in other words, he's paid to make appearances.
2) the most important part of the job is to win football games. 3 years in and he's 11-22, and no, I will not write off his first year, because he basically admitted he wasn't trying to win.

Let's also analyze those wins. Three of the 11 wins came vs. I-AA teams. That's 27 percent of his entire win total, which means better than one out of every four wins was against lower tier competition. I also don't think anyone would argue that all of those I-AA wins were nail biters either well into the 4Q or all the way to the end of each of those games (Stony Brook, Villanova and Maine). We could very easily have lost one or more of those games.

Against I-A opponents his record is 8-22, for a 36 percent win average. He's winning slightly less than three out of every eight games vs our own level of competition.

I guess we should all consider ourselves lucky to be 3-0 vs. D I-AA. That's his greatest achievement as our head coach!

Reaction Score
USA Today - Wolken:

>>FAUX PAS OF THE WEEK - UConn coach Bob Diaco is endearingly insane. Not only was Diaco unhappy and obviously hurt about the social media backlash he received over the “Civil ConFLiCT” trophy and rivalry he created with UCF, but he spent 10 minutes defending himself when asked his thoughts on UCF basically snubbing the trophy after its victory last weekend.

“I’m trying to maintain my composure here,” Diaco said before launching into his rant.

Diaco might be the most earnest man in college football, and sometimes it’s hard to tell whether to laugh at his eccentricities or admire how passionately he attacks things on the periphery.

He did have a point, however, in defending himself: His hare-brained idea to shoehorn this “rivalry” got people talking about his program and the AAC.

“I got other ideas too,” Diaco said. “They want to talk about networks? I've got all sorts of idea on networks. Let's target 6- to 16-year-olds. How about that? Eventually they're going to be 18-to-35. Let's broadcast our games on Nickelodeon. Who owns that? Viacom? Let's create some real intrigue. Let's create a following.”

Crazy or hilarious? You decide.<<

Reaction Score
Hopefully this serves to light a fire under his . Maybe he will coach better with a chip on his shoulder after being thoroughly embarrassed, not likely but that's the silver lining I'm going to take out of this episode. Also start treating these players like men, which means stop coddling them after every play (the good & bad ones) and focus on the end result. Cut all the other crap out and save the rah rah schtick for when we actually win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom