A New Old Starting Lineup for Maryland Game | The Boneyard

A New Old Starting Lineup for Maryland Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Pinot, not so much, but the bear makes sense. Saniya will be fine as longs she keeps the ball moving and takes the open opportunity. Guns just has to get mentally more focused without losing her creative ball sense.

Reaction Score
One of my biggest complaints about SC is that she never makes a pass unless she's sure it won't be intercepted. She misses a lot of open teammates who aren't either 2-3 feet away from her, or at least 5 feet away from a defender. It's frustrating watching her do this over an over again. That's why her 25-5 assists to turnover ratio is so distorted and not a true indication of her worth.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
One of my biggest complaints about SC is that she never makes a pass unless she's sure it won't be intercepted. She misses a lot of open teammates who aren't either 2-3 feet away from her, or at least 5 feet away from a defender. It's frustrating watching her do this over an over again. That's why her 25-5 assists to turnover ratio is so distorted and not a true indication of her worth.

You are suggesting. . . what?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just hope that none of the players have come down with Geno's cold.........he sounds/looks pretty crumby...............

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like Crystal Dangerfield coming off the bench as long as she gets substantial minutes. She still has much to learn by observing. I will take Saniya's more steady if unspectacular game over Crystal Dangerfield unpredictability at the start of games.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That is the only time a player should make a pass; when she knows it won't be intercepted. Otherwise she will be on the bench with the coaches.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
That "dagger" shot slammed the door on the Terps and earned Badass recognition for Saniya.:)

The score: 75-71. Maryland on a run (8 of 9 shots). About a minute to go. Kia drove toward the basket and drew Saniya's defender. Kickout pass to Chong, open in the corner. BANG! 78-71! Lights out! (Final, 82-71.):)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Me likey. Huge fan of Danger coming off the bench. I think Saniya is a steady hand out there who brings a sense of calm to the team. She's not fiery like Kia or explosive like Gabby or dynamic like Pheesa or Lou, but she's solid and steady and a great complement to the rest of the starting quartet...

Reaction Score
Pinot, not so much, but the bear makes sense. Saniya will be fine as longs she keeps the ball moving and takes the open opportunity. Guns just has to get mentally more focused without losing her creative ball sense.

Here Geno has to use his flipping coin: Saniya can be excellent as a point/2--but that isn't always the case! Danger can be more than exceptional--can make the impossible pass, can score. Defense and decisions while in defense are not there yet. Again--this isn't always the case.

I go with the BEAR---mix and match--keep the one that makes the team productive.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Hey, when you are right, you are right. She almost always creates the necessity to reset the offense with her indecision.

Reaction Score
Rocky, agree 100%. The other players run around twice as much because she doesn't pass early enough.
If they only pass when they're sure it won't be intercepted, and sit otherwise, Chong will playing one on five and we'll have the worst coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Roll your eyes all you want. I'm suggesting she save her teammates from running around for 25 seconds, instead of perhaps 10, by passing sooner, even if she's not 100% certain. And how is one ever 100% certain.
She should pass to teammates when they're less than 20 feet from the basket.

Reaction Score
Rocky, agree 100%. The other players run around twice as much because she doesn't pass early enough.
If they only pass when they're sure it won't be intercepted, and sit otherwise, Chong will playing one on five and we'll have the worst coaching staff.
so you think if they know the ball will be intercepted and they still should pass the ball?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We have our turnover machine in Gabby, and we have a pair of steady eddies in Saniya and Kia (20 TO's but still 2+ A/TO and 5-10 of her TOs are charges or walks.) Gabby and Dangerfield try to make spectacular passes but also collect turnovers - what you need from the other ball handlers is steadiness in that situation.

Not dissimilar to DT and Maria - DT thrived on great and risky passing and needed someone more 'boring' playing next to her. Uconn seldom takes a bad shot or a contested shot, or a rushed shot as the shot clock expires so it isn't as if the ball movement isn't good when Saniya is playing, just that it may take an extra few seconds to get that good open shot at the benefit of getting more shots instead of turnovers.

Reaction Score
I loved her demeanor and brief content in this interview. Saniya is a real gamer, and her steadiness is an asset if you coach to accommodate it which seems to be working so far this year.

It raises the question for me of the one loss in her UCONN career. She scored 20 but the cardinal guards beat her and mainly KLM off the dribble. Geno didn't like watching that and pulled Stokes out of the game because that had masked a problem he felt needed correcting- we were up 10ish points I believe when he pulled her. My guess he also didn't want Stokes saving the day because she hadn't earned it in practice. It became the accepted defensive strategy after that though and we came to rely on forwards as backline defenders.

Reaction Score
I loved her demeanor and brief content in this interview. Saniya is a real gamer, and her steadiness is an asset if you coach to accommodate it which seems to be working so far this year.

It raises the question for me of the one loss in her UCONN career. She scored 20 but the cardinal guards beat her and mainly KLM off the dribble. Geno didn't like watching that and pulled Stokes out of the game because that had masked a problem he felt needed correcting- we were up 10ish points I believe when he pulled her. My guess he also didn't want Stokes saving the day because she hadn't earned it in practice. It became the accepted defensive strategy after that though and we came to rely on forwards as backline defenders.
I thought he pulled also pulled Saniya but had to put her back in when Kia fouled out. It was Kiah Stokes who took that absolutely terrible shot (with far too much time on the clock) that gave Stanford the chance to tie (and then win in OT), IIRC, which I may well not!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I could not disagree more.
One of the main reasons for so many Uconn turnovers is that some players, especially Gabby, force too many passes to players who are not open. This happens often in the free throw lane. Just because a play calls for a pass to be made after running it, does not mean the pass should be made if the teammate is not open and the pass is forced, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom