A New Old Starting Lineup for Maryland Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A New Old Starting Lineup for Maryland Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of the main reasons for so many Uconn turnovers is that some players, especially Gabby, force too many passes to players who are not open. This happens often in the free throw lane. Just because a play calls for a pass to be made after running it, does not mean the pass should be made if the teammate is not open and the pass is forced, imo.
Well if you take away those turnovers, those wonderful passes for easy lay ups would also disappear so I say we should give her a break on those right now.

Reaction Score
[mod edit; quote of deleted post]
My apologies. I thought you deliberately said something that made no sense in relation to what I said, but maybe you really didn't understand. My bad.
I was not implying she should pass when she knows it's going to be intercepted-
I don't know how you could get that from what I said; that would be stupid, obviously, hence my thinking you were just saying that to start an argument.
I was saying she should take a chance earlier in the time clock instead of making her teammates run around needlessly. If, no one did anything unless they were sure of the outcome(or rather, they thought they were sure of the outcome), then virtually nothing would ever get done, except by egocentric egomaniacs.
[mod edit: politics]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You are suggesting. . . what?:rolleyes:
Sounds like he's saying that her "positive" assists to turnovers is actually a bit of a negative because she's playing so conservatively that it hurts the team overall. The fear of making a mistake IS A MISTAKE!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Hey, we do not have plays! We have situational opportunities. Everyone take a breath. Name calling is for the other guys!
Geno stated that the team has plays! Some are made for particular players. You tell Geno the team does not have plays. Why does he call a timeout with only a few seconds left to talk to the team? The players know what the situation is in those instances.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Well if you take away those turnovers, those wonderful passes for easy lay ups would also disappear so I say we should give her a break on those right now.
Evidently, on the ones that result in a basket, her teammate is open.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sounds like he's saying that her "positive" assists to turnovers is actually a bit of a negative because she's playing so conservatively that it hurts the team overall. The fear of making a mistake IS A MISTAKE!

You are making a couple sweeping assumptions:
- Her very positive A:TO stat is "a bit of a negative," because,
- "it hurts the team."​
OK, you have presented your case but presented no evidence. Let me help you.;)

For starters, cite one game lost because of Saniya's excessive conservatism. (Admittedly a thin lode to mine; one L in 2 years.)

Alternately, identify one victory imperiled by Chong's "fear of making a mistake."

Any benchings by Geno? Any shot clock violations? Any anything? Good luck.:)

Reaction Score
My apologies. I thought you deliberately said something that made no sense in relation to what I said, but maybe you really didn't understand. My bad.
I was not implying she should pass when she knows it's going to be intercepted-
I don't know how you could get that from what I said; that would be stupid, obviously, hence my thinking you were just saying that to start an argument.
I was saying she should take a chance earlier in the time clock instead of making her teammates run around needlessly. If, no one did anything unless they were sure of the outcome(or rather, they thought they were sure of the outcome), then virtually nothing would ever get done, except by egocentric egomaniacs.
If there is such an animal. Oh, I guess there is-he'll be in the White House Jan. 21.

I don't believe Saniya has the vision to make a lot of the passes you may see. Geno said something about Danger having vision that is rare among players and the type of vision players may never have. If he felt Saniya was more of a playmaker passer I think he would have pointed it out. He has always spoken of her ability to score but not much of her ability to be a terrific passer. I think her trying to achieve "the dangerous pass" would result in a benching because it's as he says often "do what you are good at." I think after 4 years he knows what she is and it's more of an ability to shoot and an ability to score. Attempting dangerous passes I think he'd find it unacceptable for her to do. He'd want his other scorers to look to make the plays while she remain steady. The others can probably get the foul line better or score better. In the Baylor game for example, Saniya got swallowed up. I think she can get more easily "swallowed up" than the Core 4. She's not tall, not super quick, and really doesn't have a mid-range JUMP shot in that she needs a bit of space.

Even someone like Danger, sometimes she gets a pick moving left she can fire up a quick 3 shot. She doesn't need as much space as it seems Saniya needs.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Roll your eyes all you want. I'm suggesting she save her teammates from running around for 25 seconds, instead of perhaps 10, by passing sooner, even if she's not 100% certain. And how is one ever 100% certain.
She should pass to teammates when they're less than 20 feet from the basket.

There are a lot of important things going on in that running around. 1) you, the team, get to read the defense and understand how they are responding to play, 2) you, the team, can assess the weaker points of attack i.e. who should back cut and when or when the post entry post is best timed or is being doubled, 3) the UCONN offense is built on movement, 4) you control the clock and pace, 5) you force their defense into the tiring process of read and react and into increased mistakes and easier baskets for you, 6) it forces a possibly over heated and rushing team, yours, into focusing on their work at hand and executing with discipline. All this and more. Never underestimate the importance of secure ball control and extending possessions. Saniya is doing both. When Geno wants he has other options. Saniya is the balance to the high risk passes other players are taking.

Against better opponents UCONN often opens the game like a skilled heavy weight feeling out the opponent with jabs before settling into an effective path of attack. So yes there should be a lot of movement and running around when Saniya is directing the offense. It is a huge error to think of that running around as needlessly.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
It's just so easy to tell she should make the pass with your amazing court vision from your recliner while wearing cabin socks and drinking tea.... I'm not sure how she misses so many opportunities. My heavens do we come up with the lamest ideas of failure on this board. I suppose it is a luxury only we and a few others have but sometimes it is pretty pathetic.

I have seen this team pass up what looked like a really good opportunity for a great one just by making a few more passes and waiting a few more seconds. Considering she has played in the offense longer than anyone else on the team and certainly longer than every poster on this board I'm just gonna go with her judgement on when to make a pass and when not to. If Geno thinks she is good to go... I'm happy with that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno stated that the team has plays! Some are made for particular players. You tell Geno the team does not have plays. Why does he call a timeout with only a few seconds left to talk to the team? The players know what the situation is in those instances.

I know, I was just going for a cheap de-escalation of tension, otherwise known as a joke.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Roll your eyes all you want. I'm suggesting she save her teammates from running around for 25 seconds, instead of perhaps 10, by passing sooner, even if she's not 100% certain. And how is one ever 100% certain.
She should pass to teammates when they're less than 20 feet from the basket.
I sort of see your point and sort of don't see your point. The team does not have a defined position slot of 1-2-3-4-5 with their starting 5. Geno has said as much. Only Napheesa at the 4 is probably in a slot. Soniya and Kia are guards and handle the ball much more but the team is ALWAYS MOVING and passing the ball. This movement is what exhausts the other team and allows for higher percentage shots within each possession. This is not solely Soniya's role. The same frustration could also be said of Kia. Crystal Dangerfield does possess true #1 guard vision with great court sense at times. However we all see the "freshman" errors that time will cure. The whole teams ability to pass and minimize the turnovers is what makes them great in this offense and not reliable on only one player.

Reaction Score
It's just so easy to tell she should make the pass with your amazing court vision from your recliner while wearing cabin socks and drinking tea.... I'm not sure how she misses so many opportunities. My heavens do we come up with the lamest ideas of failure on this board. I suppose it is a luxury only we and a few others have but sometimes it is pretty pathetic.

I have seen this team pass up what looked like a really good opportunity for a great one just by making a few more passes and waiting a few more seconds. Considering she has played in the offense longer than anyone else on the team and certainly longer than every poster on this board I'm just gonna go with her judgement on when to make a pass and when not to. If Geno thinks she is good to go... I'm happy with that.

To add to your point: I have to assume that if Geno were unhappy with her cautious approach, he would have her sitting, not starting.

Reaction Score
I can see Saniya's conservatism, because of her doubt, could possibly lead to a turnover, hence her reluctance to make the play. It does, in a way, balance less conservative play, but I still think is tiring for teammates.

Ok, I'm done. Apologies to anyone offended by posts made due to assumptions on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog