A new low for atendance this season | The Boneyard

A new low for atendance this season

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The numbers are all off different criteria.

This year was no worse than last year.

Do you believe that they averaged 28k in a season where they had a game with 3k in 2014.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The numbers are all off different criteria.

This year was no worse than last year.

Do you believe that they averaged 28k in a season where they had a game with 3k in 2014.

This is true. Last year vs Tulane was way emptier than anything I saw this year. Last year, the only decent crowd was for Syracuse. That was better than any crowd we had this year by a lot. Maybe Virginia? I wasn't there. This year we had pretty bad attendance every single game, but there was never a game with an awful crowd outside of ECU really

Reaction Score
Yesterday I was sad looking around the stadium. What was once isn't there. I remember when the corners were empty and that was a problem.

Reaction Score
I have said this before, but it bears repeating. This year's schedule was not ideal for selling season tickets or for last minute fans showing up. We had a Thursday night game against an FCS, a Friday night game, a game on Saturday of Halloween, and we moved a home game against the opponent that most would want to see, BC, to Fenway Park. Then, due to a hurricane, our actual schedule got really messed up and we played on a Sunday.

Throw in some very ugly performances and the result was poor attendance.

When Edsall turns around the team, fans will come back, but next year could be tough as well.

Reaction Score
We had a Thursday night game against an FCS, ....
Thursday night is traditional to open the season before Labor Day weekend ... usually against an FCS opponent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It’s annoying that UConn has never published legitimate attendance numbers. There is no way to compare other than anecdotes from those in attendance.

Reaction Score
UConn Closes Rentschler Doors For 2017 With Record-Low Attendance Average

18,430 yesterday, season average 20,334. Second lowest in Rent history was last year (26,796).

The ECU Sunday morning game didn't help, but . . . . ugh.

Save us, Randy.

Average attendance per game dropped over 6,000 people from last year to this year??!!

And with 16,000 season tickets sold, that means only 4,000 single game or package deal tickets per game. Given how many tickets were given out for free via various promotions, actual paid ticket sales per game were probably around 18,000 to 18,500 per game.

Yikes!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have said this before, but it bears repeating. This year's schedule was not ideal for selling season tickets or for last minute fans showing up. We had a Thursday night game against an FCS, a Friday night game, a game on Saturday of Halloween, and we moved a home game against the opponent that most would want to see, BC, to Fenway Park. Then, due to a hurricane, our actual schedule got really messed up and we played on a Sunday.

Throw in some very ugly performances and the result was poor attendance.

When Edsall turns around the team, fans will come back, but next year could be tough as well.

You think it was tough based on our schedule this season? Take a gander at next years home slate.

Reaction Score

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UConn will receive a guaranteed payment of $1.125 million for its participation in the contest, the largest game guarantee in the history of Husky football.
Also known as the future of our OOC schedule until we find a way into a P5 conference. Guaranteed big money games are going to be the norm unfortunately. Going to make home game slates look good very challenging when we are doing a lot of these one and done games like the Clemson game.

I totally get why we’re doing it but it’s going to take a better home slate then just AAC teams, FCS, and UMass to make fans come back. That and winning....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Also known as the future of our OOC schedule until we find a way into a P5 conference. Guaranteed big money games are going to be the norm unfortunately. Going to make home game slates look good very challenging when we are doing a lot of these one and done games like the Clemson game.

I totally get why we’re doing it but it’s going to take a better home slate then just AAC teams, FCS, and UMass to make fans come back. That and winning....

You can cross my $1,200 pair of seats off the list for next year. I imagine I’ll still find my way to the games but no way am I’m spending 2k+ all in on that trash.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
You can cross my $1,200 pair of seats off the list for next year. I imagine I’ll still find my way to the games but no way am I’m spending 2k+ all in on that trash.
You’ll have no trouble getting cheap tix next season to any home game. Will be interesting to see what season ticket numbers will be next season

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You’ll have no trouble getting cheap tix next season to any home game. Will be interesting to see what season ticket numbers will be next season

16k this year - 14k if they are lucky next year.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
16k this year - 14k if they are lucky next year.
Might even be lower if we lose out the rest of the season. No one is going to want to pay to watch a rebuild against teams no one cares about.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've been ranting about the ticket prices for years on here, and I kept hearing how it wouldn't change the attendance number. Well, that's nonsense.

UConn is being a penny wise and a pound foolish here. Drop the ticket prices to increase attendance, especially with families that help to create the next generation of Husky fans, even if you might decrease the revenue somewhat in the short term.

But filling the place with warm bodies creates a better environment. A better environment creates more excitement for recruits and fans, ultimately leading to a better product. A better product leads to even more fans and more revenue.

This isn't a hard formula to understand, especially in a stadium which is only averaging half capacity. Time to get this done and stop the nonsense...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom