OT: - A Modest Sports Viewing Reminder For The Weekend | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: A Modest Sports Viewing Reminder For The Weekend

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Back to the Derby- unbelievable NBC does a four (4) hour show for a race that lasts around 2 minutes. Talk about overkill...like @RockyMTblue2 says, just tune in 10 minutes or so ahead of the race- watch the horses go into the gates (1 or 2 always balk but are eventually shoved in there) and then the race itself.

I'm not a racing fan but I always try to watch the Triple Crown races. In my lifetime no horse has ever matched or even come close to the great Secretariat.
The other horses I loved watching were Seattle Slew, Spectacular Bid and Ruffian. Slew was just this dark whippet streak of speed. Bid and Ruffian were giants like Secretariat. I cried when they put Ruffian down on the track. I wanted to strangle those d&*%n pigeons one by one.

Reaction Score
I’ll probably tune in because I do enjoy watching these fine athletes run but I’ll also be thinking about the fact that 23 horses died recently over a 3 month period at Santa Anita in California. It is sad that officials took so long to do something when they clearly had to know they had a problem on their hands.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, Messi scored 2 goals in 2nd half after Liverpool was dominating and threatening big time to tie it up with an important away goal.

The first goal was a very opportunistic but mundane play but the third was a pinpoint free kick goal at 30 yards hit with such force, curve and accuracy. Not to be believed. Even the Liverpool coach was smiling from ear to ear (even more than Geno after Morgan William)

Done deal 3-0 Barcelona.
And his 600th goal.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I apologize for creating the swerve to softball...I am usually commenting in a negative way about creating a swerve in a thread, especially if it is a multi page thread, and yet here I was, doing the same thing. Sorry @RockyMTblue2.
No need to be sorry. This thread is about "sports".

Reaction Score
It is Kentucky Derby time. Before the modern media clowns turned this into a parody of itself, the pre-race show was like a gift to those of us who enjoy all things horses. Now it is a Hollywood circus of stupid, inane and bad taste revelry of the B, C, D, E list of fatuous jerks. So, the horses don't know it has turned into a bad taste circus and they still perform. Turn it on 10 minutes before the race and spare yourself the reminder of where we are as a society.

The tasteless inanity and the race is on NBC. 2019 Kentucky Derby – NBC Sports
Don't hold back @RockyMTblue2 tells us how you really feel!!

Reaction Score
I'll paraphrase the owner of another great racing stable: "I've never seen a horse that could shine his shoes."
@RockyMTblue2 that would be a certain bet. The last time I saw a horse give a shoe shine was in a drug induced psychotic event. Can you imagine the trainer teaching Trigger to hold the buffing rag or apply the shoe polish, USE YOUR FINGERS--Triggers reply, Huh???
This comment made this thread.

Reaction Score
The other horses I loved watching were Seattle Slew, Spectacular Bid and Ruffian. Slew was just this dark whippet streak of speed. Bid and Ruffian were giants like Secretariat. I cried when they put Ruffian down on the track. I wanted to strangle those d&*%n pigeons one by one.

Losing Ruffian was a tragedy, such a magnificent horse :( It was so obvious that there was no other choice but to euthanize right then and there but that didn't make it any easier.

Reaction Score
I’ll probably tune in because I do enjoy watching these fine athletes run but I’ll also be thinking about the fact that 23 horses died recently over a 3 month period at Santa Anita in California. It is sad that officials took so long to do something when they clearly had to know they had a problem on their hands.

The people who own/operate Santa Anita should lose their license. I can understand losing a 2-3 horses, for all their size & strength they are actually quite delicate but 23?????

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Two things in my lifetime that blow my mind. Looking up in the night sky of 1957 and seeing Sputnik crossing the heavens. Secondly, Secretariat's win in the Belmont Stakes by 30 lengths.
Aw, no need to exaggerate; it was only 29 lengths.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'll paraphrase the owner of another great racing stable: "I've never seen a horse that could shine his shoes."
Appreciate the imagery, Rocky, but Charles Hatton, the dean of turf writers at the time, may have been a bit more eloquent in his praise:

"Exterminator and Man o' War have come and gone since the present writer's first acquaintance with the sport. Impressions of longstanding tend to become fixed and assume a prescriptive right not to be questioned. But Secretariat is the most capable horse we ever saw, and geriatrics defeat any thought of ever seeing his like again. Secretariat was the Horse of the Century and his only reference point is himself."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Two things in my lifetime that blow my mind. Looking up in the night sky of 1957 and seeing Sputnik crossing the heavens. Secondly, Secretariat's win in the Belmont Stakes by 30 lengths.
You were both off. The official margin of victory was 31 lengths.
Somehow Bria Hartley is to blame. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Wrong. The margin was called 32 and later attempts to reduce it to 31. For many of us it will always be 32. This we know for certain, he broke the track record by 2 3/5 seconds.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Wrong. The margin was called 32 and later attempts to reduce it to 31. For many of us it will always be 32. This we know for certain, he broke the track record by 2 3/5 seconds.
Yes, you're correct, it was 31 lengths. I apologize for the senior moment. In addition to breaking the stakes record, Secretariat also galloped out 1 5/8 miles in a time that would have broken Swaps' world record.

Reaction Score
Big Red's Belmost was a freak performance under ideal conditions. The only horse in that race who had a right to be there was Sham, who was exhausted from chasing Secretariat in the KD and PS. The rest of the field was bad, like UConn playing a Jr College team. A spectacular performance against a very very weak bunch.

For me, the best Belmont I ever saw was the third matchup up Affirmed and Alydar. Affirmed had won the 1st 2 legs of the triple crown in close races. Watch the video and see that there is glory in finishing second.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Big Red's Belmost was a freak performance under ideal conditions. The only horse in that race who had a right to be there was Sham, who was exhausted from chasing Secretariat in the KD and PS. The rest of the field was bad, like UConn playing a Jr College team. A spectacular performance against a very very weak bunch.

For me, the best Belmont I ever saw was the third matchup up Affirmed and Alydar. Affirmed had won the 1st 2 legs of the triple crown in close races. Watch the video and see that there is glory in finishing second.

You bring up an interesting topic here, Alydar: The best runner-up finish. I'd nominate Seattle Slew in the 1978 Jockey Club Gold Cup when Slew fought off Affirmed, was passed by Exceller and then, miraculously, came again, missing by a nose in the Belmont mud.

And if any race should have been a dead heat it would be the 1962 Travers between Jaipur and Ridan. If you want to see two horses go nose-to-nose for 10 furlongs, take a look at that gem.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And if any race should have been a dead heat it would be the 1962 Travers between Jaipur and Ridan. If you want to see two horses go nose-to-nose for 10 furlongs, take a look at that gem.
What always killed me about watching that video was the matter-of-fact manner of the race caller, Fred Caposella. The guy calls one of the greatest races of all time with all the gusto of a mid-card maiden claimer. I always read how Cappy was one of the greats, you can't tell from that race.

But if you want to hear a great race call (except for one mistake) you need to catch the 1987 Mass Cap:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It is Kentucky Derby time...Turn it on 10 minutes before the race and spare yourself the reminder of where we are as a society.
And right after the race turn to My9 TV (1009 on Cox) for the historic home opener for Hartford Athletic from The Rent.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
What always killed me about watching that video was the matter-of-fact manner of the race caller, Fred Caposella. The guy calls one of the greatest races of all time with all the gusto of a mid-card maiden claimer. I always read how Cappy was one of the greats, you can't tell from that race.

But if you want to hear a great race call (except for one mistake) you need to catch the 1987 Mass Cap:
Have you ever heard/seen Robert Klein's standup routine of Cappy ordering dinner? "Scratch the apple pie..."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom