A Mere Abberation My Friends | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Mere Abberation My Friends

Reaction Score
No reason to fear folks; keep the faith. The ship will be righted.

That is foolish---everyone can see with their own eyes that Uconn/s last day as a top team ended at Tulane. When you get hit on the head--you know the sky is falling!!
It is time to fire Geno---his best days are over---I suggest we go with a known great coach with a proven record----HOLLY!!! Or a great recruiter JPM...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is foolish---everyone can see with their own eyes that Uconn/s last day as a top team ended at Tulane. When you get hit on the head--you know the sky is falling!!
It is time to fire Geno---his best days are over---I suggest we go with a known great coach with a proven record---HOLLY!!! Or a great recruiter JPM...
You left out the requisite emogee ";)"

Reaction Score
This was not an aberration.

Despite flashy point totals, this has been a fairly mediocre offensive team for a month, really since the USF game.

Take out Nurse and it's exacerbated.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of it comes down to Nurse.

We have said for the longest time the sum of the parts are greater than the individual pieces.

I think without Nurse it is very "evident."

Take away The Core 4 for an entire game- we can suffer.

Nurse can play the physical guards much better than Saniya and obviously Danger. I thoguth Danger did nothing he whole game and she is not an asset on defense. When you take out Collier - and Nat isn't palyign well- we only have three good players on the floor in which Lou isn't shoting well and Gabby now can be doubled on the inside. Danger's shooting is suspect and Nat isn't going to spread the floor. Thereofre Gabby can be better neutralized.

Just compare the season of Nurse vs what Danger gave us last night. Not to mention -- but I will :) the experience and the defense. Danger played 33 minutes was 1-7 from the floor and had just 1 assist. And Nurse is an over 80% ft shooter.

Nurse balances our floor. You can have Nurse play sf. I think Tulane played small. SO you could have Lou play pf if Nat/Kyla are ineffective. Nurse is a battler. Nurse is 2nd on the team in assists and has a 2.5 assist to turnover ratio. I'm pretty sure in the ND game UCONN used Lou at the high post. Because of our limited gaurds maybe we can't efficiently move her around more.

The big takeaway imo comes down to Nurse.

Long term it looks like our outside shooting is a shell of what it used ot be. But for it to be running 100% efficiency we need Nurse. She was a starter for arguably the greatest wcbb team ever for a reason. And it is more than just individual stats.
A lot written here.. I agree some about Nurse---she is needed! Her ability to take and make the 3 or layup or shoot foul shots--changes the tone of the game for opponents when she is not on the floor. Danger, Kyla, and even Chong to lesser extent give the opponents people to sag off of and allow emphasis on Napheesa, Gabby, KLS. Danger can, and has proven, she can hit the three and make a driving attack on the basket. She has hit 3's and free throws in pressure games this year--she has done a lot of sitting since that time--some health, some dog days--she needed to get this experience much earlier in the season--.
Luckily Uconn has a few easier game coming up--although Temple beat South Fla today--USF like Temple needs some wins--and here we are with the BB gods frowning on UConn and the big dance is about to begin.
We can analyze the Tulane game ad nauseum --the only analysis that is important is by the guy who can actually do something about the team (if he can at this point). KLS has to score, Gabby and Collier must rebound and take the second attempts, Nurse and Chong must feed the 3 and take open threes ---Danger has to make foul shots and Butler must defend without fouling. Easy anyone can do it--next year.

Reaction Score
Lots of questions here.

1. Most teams have been guarding Lou with a wing or forward in the 6' range. Tulane put a 5'8" guard, their quickest and most athletic player on Lou.
2. Generally agree with your point but here's the difference. Gabby has been able to entice other teams bigs to come out and guard her and then blow right by them for layups as she did vs SC. Tulane' bigs played off Gabby more than any team I've seen all year.
3. I agree there's not always a correlation, but physical games invite physical play and refs have a tendency to try to even things out. So Pheesa is getting banged around and maybe loses some composure and commits a charge, or a coach is riding the refs about all the calls going one way and the ref whistles a make-up call.
4 & 5 I absolutely agree

1-- Texas put a 5'9 guard on her and Lou got into early foul trouble in the 1st half and in the 2nd half the guard eventually got the player into foul trouble or fouled out. ND said they needed to put Young on her because she had more size. There was no 5'8 guard on Lou vs SC. It was the 6'0 Gray. And that was her worst game. Yet when she played vs Md it was Walker-Kimbrough at 5'11 and she was tremendous. So I don't see size having any impact. Wasn't her worst game with the 6'0 gray? But I think we can see her two worst efficiency games were the games in which Nurse was either hurt or didn't play. And are you sure in that

2-- I don't agree at all that Gabby has been able to get bigs out to guard her other than maybe Fla state. For example there was no way USC was guarding her outside 15 feet. And I'm near certain neither was ND. And if they were playing MD there was no way Jones could guard Gabby away from the basket. Those were thre of the top teams that could beat us. And imo thy employed the strategy. But I do think it is right to do.

3-- Sure-- but all year we have already played nearly all the most physical of teams, haven't we? And we beat them all. Wasn't there strategy to pound us physically and ot get to the bench? So if it hasn't worked with the most physical teams already - it doesn't seem like a blueprint. It just seems like the opposing team hopes to catch them off their game or they just play better.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This was not an aberration.

Despite flashy point totals, this has been a fairly mediocre offensive team for a month, really since the USF game.

Take out Nurse and it's exacerbated.
Agree that the offense has been subpar, but if the Huskies are a mediocre offensive team, then just about every other WBB team is downright awful.

Reaction Score
A lot written here.. I agree some about Nurse---she is needed! Her ability to take and make the 3 or layup or shoot foul shots--changes the tone of the game for opponents when she is not on the floor. Danger, Kyla, and even Chong to lesser extent give the opponents people to sag off of and allow emphasis on Napheesa, Gabby, KLS. Danger can, and has proven, she can hit the three and make a driving attack on the basket. She has hit 3's and free throws in pressure games this year--she has done a lot of sitting since that time--some health, some dog days--she needed to get this experience much earlier in the season---
Luckily Uconn has a few easier game coming up--although Temple beat South Fla today--USF like Temple needs some wins--and here we are with the BB gods frowning on UConn and the big dance is about to begin.
We can analyze the Tulane game ad nauseum --the only analysis that is important is by the guy who can actually do something about the team (if he can at this point). KLS has to score, Gabby and Collier must rebound and take the second attempts, Nurse and Chong must feed the 3 and take open threes ---Danger has to make foul shots and Butler must defend without fouling. Easy anyone can do it--next year.

I don't think Danger has proven she can hit the 3 and I think defenses are going to let her shoot the rest of the year and prove it. With that said- I am certain your definition and mine of "proven" are not the same. I just want to make clear I am not saying yoru definition is wrong. Just different. Right now Danger is 16-53 from 3. Shooting 30% is subpar and just that one game -- Baylor in Nov- imo thus far an anomaly in which she was 3-5 - that is 27%. If I'm the defense- I dare her to shoot 3's.

And Nurse's defense imo far superior to Danger. And she is better defender than Saniya. And she takes care of the ball better than Danger.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
1-- Texas put a 5'9 guard on her and Lou got into early foul trouble in the 1st half and in the 2nd half the guard eventually got the player into foul trouble or fouled out. ND said they needed to put Young on her because she had more size. There was no 5'8 guard on Lou vs SC. It was the 6'0 Gray. And that was her worst game. Yet when she played vs Md it was Walker-Kimbrough at 5'11 and she was tremendous. So I don't see size having any impact. Wasn't her worst game with the 6'0 gray? But I think we can see her two worst efficiency games were the games in which Nurse was either hurt or didn't play. And are you sure in that

2-- I don't agree at all that Gabby has been able to get bigs out to guard her other than maybe Fla state. For example there was no way USC was guarding her outside 15 feet. And I'm near certain neither was ND. And if they were playing MD there was no way Jones could guard Gabby away from the basket. Those were thre of the top teams that could beat us. And imo thy employed the strategy. But I do think it is right to do.

3-- Sure-- but all year we have already played nearly all the most physical of teams, haven't we? And we beat them all. Wasn't there strategy to pound us physically and ot get to the bench? So if it hasn't worked with the most physical teams already - it doesn't seem like a blueprint. It just seems like the opposing team hopes to catch them off their game or they just play better.
We're splitting hairs here.

1. All of the top teams UConn has faced have started the game with a taller guard, wing or forward guarding Lou, including TX who had Ariel Atkins (5'11") on Lou until she banged her head on the floor and had to leave the game. Tulane put their quickest, most athletic player on Lou, and Lou struggled to score.
2. Guarding Gabby 10-15' from the basket is what I was referring to when I indicated that Gabby pulled other teams bigs out. Tulane was allowing Gabby to shoot uncontested jump shots from 8-10' with no effort to contest the shot.
3. You may be correct, but we won't know for sure until we run into one of those teams again in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I don't think Danger has proven she can hit the 3 and I think defenses are going to let her shoot the rest of the year and prove it. With that said- I am certain your definition and mine of "proven" are not the same. I just want to make clear I am not saying yoru definition is wrong. Just different. Right now Danger is 16-53 from 3. Shooting 30% is subpar and just that one game -- Baylor in Nov- imo thus far an anomaly in which she was 3-5 - that is 27%. If I'm the defense- I dare her to shoot 3's.

And Nurse's defense imo far superior to Danger. And she is better defender than Saniya. And she takes care of the ball better than Danger.
Were those shots in the Baylor game all 2's??? that Danger took?? Her USA days she was proficient in 3 shooting--
Sitting and dog housing don't a top scorer make.
I agree --and I previously stated--Tulane did what any coach (with slight intelligence) would do--sag off of the 3 shooters until they prove they can make them regularly when 2 are in slumps and the other is reluctant to take them. I was speaking of her proven talent previous to her concussion and injuries and house sitting--. 3 of 5 is 60 percent--.
Dice and spice as you will--she had the talent and abilities earlier this season and in previous USA and HS playing--if the Concussion didn't do more damage than we know--she should return to proven form.

Reaction Score
We're splitting hairs here.

1. All of the top teams UConn has faced have started the game with a taller guard, wing or forward guarding Lou, including TX who had Ariel Atkins (5'11") on Lou until she banged her head on the floor and had to leave the game. Tulane put their quickest, most athletic player on Lou, and Lou struggled to score.
2. Guarding Gabby 10-15' from the basket is what I was referring to when I indicated that Gabby pulled other teams bigs out. Tulane was allowing Gabby to shoot uncontested jump shots from 8-10' with no effort to contest the shot.
3. You may be correct, but we won't know for sure until we run into one of those teams again in the tournament.

1-- She also struggled to score vs USC who had a player that was 6'0. She also didn't struggle to score vs a player that was 5'11 on Md. So I don't see why the mention of most teams have been putting a 6'0 player on her and you implied it wasn't effective when it was effective with USC. SO why is 5'8 relevant with Tulane but not relevant with USC? Isn't it more relevant to say that Lou needs Nurse? And that is more "of the blueprint?" I just don't think Lou has this "weakness" that imo gets exaggerated by the media. .

2-- Again USC allowed Gabby to shoot. Md allowed Gabby to shoot. And imo ND allowed Gabby to shoot. All the good teams allow gabby to shoot imo because everything can't be covered esepcially once we have Kia back.

3-- But if we get beat once all year - was it a blue print or just an off-night by 20 year old kids? Because we beat nearly all of them all year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
1-- She also struggled to score vs USC who had a player that was 6'0. She also didn't struggle to score vs a player that was 5'11 on Md. So I don't see why the mention of most teams have been putting a 6'0 player on her and you implied it wasn't effective when it was effective with USC. SO why is 5'8 relevant with Tulane but not relevant with USC? Isn't it more relevant to say that Lou needs Nurse? And that is more "of the blueprint?" I just don't think Lou has this "weakness" that imo gets exaggerated by the media. .

2-- Again USC allowed Gabby to shoot. Md allowed Gabby to shoot. And imo ND allowed Gabby to shoot. All the good teams allow gabby to shoot imo because everything can't be covered esepcially once we have Kia back.

3-- But if we get beat once all year - was it a blue print or just an off-night by 20 year old kids? Because we beat nearly all of them all year.
OK, you've made your points and I've made mine. I'm going to let this go now and have a beer or two.

Reaction Score
Agree that the offense has been subpar, but if the Huskies are a mediocre offensive team, then just about every other WBB team is downright awful.

Sub par?? What is the MOV for the top 10 team Uconn has played?? I'm not much in basketball knowledge or stat hunting--but standing out her in the deep woods--and looking at Uconn from afar--what am I missing??
(I'm assuming you are being facetious also)

Reaction Score
Were those shots in the Baylor game all 2's??? that Danger took?? Her USA days she was proficient in 3 shooting--
Sitting and dog housing don't a top scorer make.
I agree --and I previously stated--Tulane did what any coach (with slight intelligence) would do--sag off of the 3 shooters until they prove they can make them regularly when 2 are in slumps and the other is reluctant to take them. I was speaking of her proven talent previous to her concussion and injuries and house sitting--- 3 of 5 is 60 percent---
Dice and spice as you will--she had the talent and abilities earlier this season and in previous USA and HS playing--if the Concussion didn't do more damage than we know--she should return to proven form.

I don't understand your question about Baylor. I said she can't hit 3's. Danger isu a 30% 3pt shooter in college ball and if you look at her trend - since November it is worse. High school is nice but college is a step up. I'm just looing at trends and danger's trend si that iof a bad 3pt shooter in relation to we want to be a champion.

Nurse is a better 3pt shooter and better passer so sagging would be harder if Nurse were there vs Danger was my point.

I'm not sure what form is-- just saying right now as you say teams are going to sag. Before Nurse left and before Lou went into her funk -- teams were less likely to sag.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sub par?? What is the MOV for the top 10 team Uconn has played?? I'm not much in basketball knowledge or stat hunting--but standing out her in the deep woods--and looking at Uconn from afar--what am I missing??
(I'm assuming you are being facetious also)
We don't disagree. I was simply making the point that there is UConn & everybody else by employing "sarcasm."

Reaction Score
I don't understand your question about Baylor. I said she can't hit 3's. Danger isu a 30% 3pt shooter in college ball and if you look at her trend - since November it is worse. High school is nice but college is a step up. I'm just looing at trends and danger's trend si that iof a bad 3pt shooter in relation to we want to be a champion.

Nurse is a better 3pt shooter and better passer so sagging would be harder if Nurse were there vs Danger was my point.

I'm not sure what form is-- just saying right now as you say teams are going to sag. Before Nurse left and before Lou went into her funk -- teams were less likely to sag.

To steal a phrase from another poster:
OK, you've made your points and I've made mine. I'm going to let this go now and have a beer or two.

Reaction Score
We don't disagree. I was simply making the point that there is UConn & everybody else by employing "sarcasm."
I was actually agreeing with you-----employing sarcasm. Facetious-ness!

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Played well?????????

Played well for "kyla."

Playing well for a national championship is a different story. You have to be able to score to win. You have to be able to get offensive rebounds sometimes and convert or have assists. Because she wasn't awful doesn't mean "she played well." She can't impact a game. Give her kudos for competing and vs her prior standards yeah you can say she played well for Kyla and got 3 boards. But not 'well" for the team. W are a superior team. The other teams are keying on the stars, correct? SO if she can't score and doesn't impact the game defensively how can you say "she played well" for a team far superior than Tulane with National Title aspirations?

Unless you are saying "she played well for Kyla." Which is fine. She wasn't bad. But to say "she played well" for a team whose expectations is a national title in which our stars are being covered more doggedly because they don't need to worry as much about a Kyla is a big stretch imo.

For you the observations and reporting on direct and obvious contributions are of primary interest. The team winning, the players scoring, rebounding, steals, demonstrations of team athletism are paramount.

I tend to focus on player development over the course of the season, player movement, positioning, focus, body language.

I am afforded that luxury as the starters tend to take care of business in the scoring, assists, steals and rebounding categories...

I share Geno's perspective not every player on the team needs overwhelming talent to contribute. The latest segment in the Geno show, he discusses this...

There was this short but slow girl named Maria Conlon that took awhile to get it as well...She ended up contributing quite a bit in 2003 and 2004 championships...

I wont prognosticate Kyla's ceiling...Just pleased she is starting to get it...and it shows...takes awhile for puppies to grow to full fledge Huskies...

I leave the playing time decisions to coach, but agreed with him in playing Kyla, she did well yesterday!

Reaction Score

Agree with emphasis on passing. Like Danger as a frosh backup, but she seemed hesitate or unable to make a pass yesterday. At times, appears with her height, has trouble getting ball into middle, particularly to a cutter.

Reaction Score

While every game it appears matchups matter, yesterday, saw numerous times Lou was open in middle and never got pass. In her highest scoring games, many of her points came from cuts that resulted in 10 foot jump shots. Yesterday, maybe due to her height, don't remember one pass Danger made to her or others. While likely many other factors contributing, with Danger running offense, it was in slow motion and easier to defense. Opinions vary.

Reaction Score
Hope your right. I am concerned that Tulane may have established a blueprint to play the Huskies. Put a quick guard on Lou to speed her up. Let Gabby have all the jump shots she wants from 15 ft. Bang & double Pheesa all night to get her into foul trouble and make UConn's guards beat you (Crystal & Saniya were a combined 3-15, with only 3 assists & 4 TO's)

Not having Kia made a big difference. I suspect that the Huskies are in for more of the same Wednesday vs Temple. We'll see how they respond.

I agree on a possible blueprint but I'm thinking this was a major wake up call. These ladies just needed a reminder that on any given day/time, something like this can happen.

With the possibility of teams copying what Tulane did (superbly I might add), Geno will get the team ready for this. KLS was a little slow too me. But I'm willing to bet that this serves as a wake up call and perhaps if they meet Tulane in the conference tourney, they will win by 50+.

Kia Nurse was badly missed, naff said....

Ok ladies, now that this happened, what are you going to do?

Reaction Score
+2 points for inventing a new word.
Words are my blood--not that you can read my blood any more than my words.---if you like that one keep reading---i amaze myself in some of the ways i can spell any word---without trying!!

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I agree will most of your post, but I'm not sure why you say Pheesa didn't play up to her standards, unless you are referring to the four fouls. One was caused by a bad pass from the guard, another was an awful call by the ref. The ref fell for a well executed flop. These things happen, but I don't think they add up to not playing up to her standard.

I stand corrected. She did play a good game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom