A lot to like | The Boneyard

A lot to like

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Trying not to overreact to the first game, but it's clear there's a lot to like about this team. Colgate played pretty well for most of the game and we were able win with relative ease minus arguably our most important player and with essentially Larrier the only one on the team playing well.

Larrier's frame and offensive repertoire make me think he's ready to take the next step to stardom. He put the team on his back... we need him to be that assertive when we have Jalen back and against better competition.

Add in an improved Adams who can score at all levels and I think you'll see things open up for Gilbert. Gilbert struggled without his guard-mate tonight, but he got to where he wanted often, just couldn't finish. Adams will draw more attention when they're on the floor together and make things easier for Gilbert. And vice versa Gilbert for Adams.

Vital's shot wasn't falling tonight but we all know he can heat up at any moment with a quick and reliable release... felt like all of his shots could have gone in.

The young bigs plus Diarra ooze talent and each offering a different dimension and bringing varied skill sets to the table. Polley and Whaley are especially talented... with some experience and improvement they could become solid contributors. Love how we hit the glass aggressively! Those easy put back buckets have been few and far between in recent years, a welcomed sight!

If Ollie can get them to clean things up defensively on the rotations and close outs, this team will be a force. We have all of the pieces to make some noise with a few leaders with star potential (Larrier/Adams), dependable contributors (Gilbert/Vital), experienced transfers, and young, talented, multi-dimensional pieces.

With so many new guys the struggle will be establishing roles and continuity. Let's hope it comes together quickly because after Stony Brook we'll really see what this team is made of.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Larrier looked like a god tonight!

Good thing, since Gilbert and Vitale didn’t show. Was particularly disappointed with Gilbert’s defensive lapses. His shot looked so bad, and he wasn’t dropping layups he usually does.

Kwintin’s effort was solid. Was a bit disappointed he didn’t get more minutes in a game like this, he was out working everyone on the floor and created a turnover. Was setting good screens but was a bit too concerned about getting a dunk ona roll to the hoop.

Overall strong team game. Looked like a much better team than what we saw last season.

Reaction Score

Good thing, since Gilbert and Vitale didn’t show. Was particularly disappointed with Gilbert’s defensive lapses. His shot looked so bad, and he wasn’t dropping layups he usually does.

Kwintin’s effort was solid. Was a bit disappointed he didn’t get more minutes in a game like this, he was out working everyone on the floor and created a turnover. Was setting good screens but was a bit too concerned about getting a dunk ona roll to the hoop.

Overall strong team game. Looked like a much better team than what we saw last season.
I don’t know what you were watching, but Gilbert’s on ball defense was insanely good, Boatright status good.

Reaction Score
I agree, it was a solid effort from most guys. Gilbert is only going to get better, and seeing as he was the main ball handler tonight, it's not surprising he struggled without Jalen. Definitely some work to do defensively. At times they shut down Colgate, and at times it felt like they were giving up open 3's every other possession (fortunately only a few went in). Gotta learn consistency. I have to say, it's early, but the front-court committee is exciting. It's been a while since that was something we really could enjoy (although I loved Shonn Miller in his year here), so hopefully it continues. Glad they started with a win to get some more confidence, and hope they can just continue to improve and win the games they need to win

Reaction Score
Yeah an awful lot to like:

$

Reaction Score
Overall I agree, his defense was good if not great. But there were a few lapses where he left his man wide open for a 3
Yeah, those were the lapses in question. 15 points worth with a better shooter to guard.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We’ll find out how tough we are after the PK80.

Getting this team to gel should be priority #1. Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, and CV have enough talent to steal some wins.

Reaction Score
Gilbert obviously struggled finishing, which is to be expected after such a long layover. He missed a bunch of finishes in the paint that will go a few weeks from now. His on ball defense was great and for a guy playing his third collegiate game, he did a great job of taking care of the ball (1 TO), particularly under the circumstances with Jalen getting suspended last minute, and was effective breaking down the defense off the dribble.

I loved the big guys' energy on both ends, but as many have pointed out, the defensive rotations need work, and their inexperience/impatience resulted in a few turnovers through silly offensive fouls while setting screens.

I thought the offensive movement improved as the game went on, which was good, even though they stopped making shots. My biggest concern is with the lack of easy baskets. Playing against Colgate, we should be generating more layups and dunks through crisp offense, fast break, and out of our defense.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
It was tough watching the game last night. I kept trying to get my foot out of my mouth all game. The Larrier topics after last season and during the summer had me thinking.The start of last season I was wondering what all the hype was about. I felt he was "okay". I don't know what happened during that time but he was absolutely phenomenal. He was very relaxed and confident. Took charge. Great game to watch. I saw a much better BB IQ last night. Seemed (so far) they have been playing with each other for some time now. What a difference. An extremely young team looking good last night brings a bright future.

Reaction Score
We’ll find out how tough we are after the PK80.

Getting this team to gel should be priority #1. Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, and CV have enough talent to steal some wins.

Winning the games like last night is mandatory. We all know that winning breeds confidence and hopefully more winning. I'm not going to fool myself though, we all know there are a lot of weak spots on this team, but screw it. Winning beats losing any day, no matter what.

Reaction Score
If Larrier can play under control like he did last night he'll shut me and everyone else up.

Still need to see a consistent 3 pt shooter emerge. Don't know if there really is one. When we are wide open we need to knock them down like the opposition seems to do to us all the time.

Really liked what I saw from the newcomers. Anderson could fix a lot of ills if his shot drops . You know he will play real good defense. Love his energy.

Polley, Whaley, Cobb and Carlton showed promise. Whaley was great last night.

Many more positives than negatives.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Overall I agree, his defense was good if not great. But there were a few lapses where he left his man wide open for a 3

His defense was really good, every defender loses their man during the game due to so many variables, it happens. But when hawking the ball handlers and guarding people to the rim, baseline cut off so many times, he was really really good. When he wants to he can be special on that end, hope he is ready to help cut the head off the dragon like Boat because he can.

Reaction Score
Terry looked good. He was also very vocal which was nice to see. Anderson stepped up too. Like his game. Ready to take and make shots. And free throw shooting! We have potential.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
Nobody hurt, beat a lesser team, and start to develop "lead dog and the pack" roles was all I was looking for. Last season has my hopes in baby step mode. Keep the wheels on the road.

Reaction Score

Please get the spelling right....it's Vital. That other spelling just makes me nauseous.

Reaction Score
It was tough watching the game last night. I kept trying to get my foot out of my mouth all game. The Larrier topics after last season and during the summer had me thinking.The start of last season I was wondering what all the hype was about. I felt he was "okay". I don't know what happened during that time but he was absolutely phenomenal. He was very relaxed and confident. Took charge. Great game to watch. I saw a much better BB IQ last night. Seemed (so far) they have been playing with each other for some time now. What a difference. An extremely young team looking good last night brings a bright future.

I definitely agree with the improved BB IQ. For what is essentially a new team they seem to be coming together quickly. I know it is only Colgate, but we couldn't get it done early last year against the same level of competition with a "veteran " team.

This team didn't quit on defense or on the boards. We survived a zone without JA. I have a feeling that they will be able to learn from KO, understand what he is asking them to do and keep improving throughout the year. I have high hopes it will be a fun team to watch.

Reaction Score
His defense was really good, every defender loses their man during the game due to so many variables, it happens. But when hawking the ball handlers and guarding people to the rim, baseline cut off so many times, he was really really good. When he wants to he can be special on that end, hope he is ready to help cut the head off the dragon like Boat because he can.
He's absolutely a great defender, those lapses should be fixed too as they get more comfortable playing with each other. For the most part it happened when both defenders switched and stayed with the ball handler. And that should happen less and less as they get more accustomed to how they want to play team defense

Reaction Score
I know it's only one game, but as we watched last night I couldn't help thinking about how weak UConn was the last four years, with Brimah and Facey as the big men, and how much more forceful and aggressive Cobb and the freshmen were against Colgate. Think about the inside play last night and recall how Brimah had no moves after four years and always seemed to be out of position for rebounds and putbacks. Facey seemed like such a nice kid but never looked confident.

The guards, save Anderson, struggled though and Vital surprised us with how ineffective he was. We didn't think he looked anywhere like he did at the end of last year, and he should have been the one taking on Adams' load last night. Hopefully both he and Gilbert were off only because they were trying too hard to take up the slack.

Now if, and it realistically is a big if, if some or most of the newcomers develop during the season as much as Jackson and Vital did last year, this could be a team like the 2011 champions. That team had seven freshmen and one strong, returning, player in Kemba. Not saying there's a Kemba on this team yet, but if Larrier's performance last night is an indicator of the type year he's going to have and Adams is better than last year UConn may yet again "shock the world".

Reaction Score
Of course it's early, but 37.7% and 6 out of 20 3s against Colgate? C'mon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom