A lot of people seem unhappy with the team so far. | The Boneyard

A lot of people seem unhappy with the team so far.

Reaction Score
uconn.jpg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Unhappy? Who's unhappy? Not me! I'm laughing, not crying.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m not sure if people are unhappy or if they’re impatient. There were a lot of question marks coming into the season - Evina’s status, Crystal’s recovery from surgery, Touley’s knee health, who would be the fifth starter - that I’m not shocked at the slow start to the season. However, some fans see how much talent there is and would like to have seen more improvement by now.

I would remind folks that Geno doesn’t coach to win games in November; he has his eyes on March. He hates to lose, it’s true, but he’d rather lose a game now if it increased his chances in the post-season. We just need to be patient.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I wish that if Geno is going to play a small rotation, that at least play Aubrey and Ania together for extended minutes. l think they are athletic enough to play more than one spot.

I wish that there would be some indication of who the backup point guard is. We almost found out last night. Crystal has been injury-plagued in recent years, Geno, in my opinion, needs to see what it looks like out there against good competition without her in. I thought that was going to be Molly but after the first two games, that may not be the case.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if people are happy or if they’re impatient. There were a lot of question marks coming into the season - Evina’s status, Crystal’s recovery from surgery, Touley’s knee health, who would be the fifth starter - that I’m not shocked at the slow start to the season. However, some fans see how much talent there is and would like to have seen more improvement by now.

I would remind folks that Geno doesn’t coach to win games in November; he has his eyes on March. He hates to lose, it’s true, but he’d rather lose a game now if it increased his chances in the post-season. We just need to be patient.
You are on the point. We have a very short bench this year and are integrating two new players into a system I am certain they did not use on the last team they played for. I did see a great improvement in this last games defense which bodes well for the future. Even if a shooter is off on a particular night their D can impact games.

Reaction Score
I think people are worried. I know I am. The team is one injury away from almost no useful bench. Yes, the newcomers show promise and we'll get better. Yes, everyone will better integrate into a working unit before too long.
But there is very little margin for error with this bunch. I see the current unrest and even grumbling as completely understandable.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We are a spoiled fan base. As has been mentioned in other posts, we expect to win a national championship every year.

Well welcome to reality. We don't win them every year. The Stewie years are history. We will probably never see a run of 4 straight again. But 12 or 13 straight years making the final four is pretty damn good by anybody's standards. 11 national championships is pretty damn good too.

We start 1 freshman, 2 sophomores, 1 junior and 1 senior. This is not a typical year for us. Geno is actually rebuilding instead of reloading. I know some will disagree with me but that's fine.

I'm going to sit back and enjoy how this team of talented young women are going to develop and grow. That's the educator in me. Many times the journey is actually more important than the final results. Geno knows how to deal with this.

And as to the negative posters, I'll ignore them.

Reaction Score
Why is criticism bad? Nobody's saying that his team is garbage and can't win a game. If anything, most people are saying that this team has a long way to go to reach its potential. There's no way that this is the Anna or Aubrey we'll see by the end of the season. There's no way that his team misses every shot for the rest of the season. I sure hope not at least. This team has the pieces to get back to the final four, but there are a lot of issues that I'm sure Geno and co. notice and will work on.

Reaction Score
What I am unhappy about is the lack of execution on the basics of the returners. Anna and Aubrey are freshman, they are going to have growing pains.

1. Free throw shooting--giving up like 6-8 pts a game with all the misses.
2. Crystal and Liv bunnies missed---giving up like 8-10 pts a game. Not playing smart.
3. Chrystin went MIA again in the second half. She isn't a freshman anymore so it's unacceptable. She's a big girl now and needs to be more mature.
4. Crystal needs to take control and show some emotion when the ball gets stuck. She is a senior and needs to hold people accountable and start taking over and scoring.
5. Walker is being the player we always thought she could be. Just awesome.

Reaction Score
I wish that if Geno is going to play a small rotation, that at least play Aubrey and Ania together for extended minutes. l think they are athletic enough to play more than one spot.

I wish that there would be some indication of who the backup point guard is. We almost found out last night. Crystal has been injury-plagued in recent years, Geno, in my opinion, needs to see what it looks like out there against good competition without her in. I thought that was going to be Molly but after the first two games, that may not be the case.
Molly along with Irwin are not serious contenders, at this point at least, for any serious position with the team. My belief, just an opinion. Geno has work to do, but not work he hasn't done before. Ania and Griffin have great potential and even greater backgrounds you can see why he would put PT in their hands. It will take time for them to acclimate to big time College basketball for a very demanding coach. They ain't in Kansas or Poland or NY anymore.
I like this team and the talent on it. Above and beyond all that they put great demands on themselves. Look at the last game. CW took over, Megan took over, ONO took over, Danger took over each at a different time. When they roll all that in one half---it will be the Uconn you paid to see. I love this team!!!!!

Reaction Score
I think people are worried. I know I am. The team is one injury away from almost no useful bench. Yes, the newcomers show promise and we'll get better. Yes, everyone will better integrate into a working unit before too long.
But there is very little margin for error with this bunch. I see the current unrest and even grumbling as completely understandable.
I like reading your words. You can be worried, I'm the original worrier about Uconn. I accept your concern about a healthy team--you'd be naive if you didn't. We lived through this a few times in these last 8 or so years. Each team was an FF. Now that is terrible for Uconn to ONLY end up in the FF I know. However in most of the last 8 years I predicted them not making the Elite 8--
The margin for error is minimal true. but not something Geno hasn't seen lately. GENO always finds a way to survive.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I had honestly thought Kyla and Mollie would be able give 5 solid minutes each half at this point as Seniors...I feel that would have given some steadiness to the games at key points...3-4 Pts 2-3 rebounds some def. screens, some hustle plays fro each...

Reaction Score
Wasn't Coach Geno just quoted in Hartford Courant saying something like "this is going to be a tough season"?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The "true fans" care. They want nothing but the best for their team. A player on the court can sense whether the fans are there to root them on to higher goals, or are just at the game because they have nowhere else to go.
Critical remarks by fans should inspire specific players to work on the skills they need to improve.

Reaction Score
The "true fans" care. They want nothing but the best for their team. A player on the court can sense whether the fans are there to root them on to higher goals, or are just at the game because they have nowhere else to go.
Critical remarks by fans should inspire specific players to work on the skills they need to improve.

Really? We are looking for “critical comments” by fans to inspire our players? Wow. That’s a new one. Imagine how inspired they will be if the fans boo.:confused:

Reaction Score
This is not a question of happy or sad. This is a question of accepting reality. It is what it is. You still can enjoy it, but your expectations have to be put into perspective with the capabilities of the team. Will they improve. Sure. Will it be greatness, I am not sure, but I certainly would be pleasantly surprised. So why don't we all sit back and enjoy the rest of the season. I know that I am going to try to watch every game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The reality is with Evina being denied by the NCAA, Molly and Kyla not being any type of reliable contributors and integrating Ania and Aubrey into the team. Geno will have his hands full working his magic.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I certainly include myself among the concerned but
you play with what you have...certainly there are no (serious) thoughts that the staff is mismanaging
the talent.

But imagine if you as a coach had to deal with Notre Dame's roster...
Now that's "Trouble in River City."

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
The season is just getting started. The Coaches will have the team running like a fine oiled machine. Will there be a loss or 2, maybe. I believe UConn will be fine. Right now they have a 7 player rotation, but later in the season there could be a 8 or 9 player rotation. Christyn and Crystal might have to play 40 minutes some games, but UConn has been there before. DO NOT PANIC!!!

Reaction Score
People should have waited to make evaluations of this team rather than speculating. When you have unrealistic expectations then you are disappointed. What would it have hurt to wait? Perceptions, one way or the other do not make a team any better or worse.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Coach Geno just quoted in Hartford Courant saying something like "this is going to be a tough season"?
I think what could throw fans off is that Geno never gives an optimistic view. They think he is just doing his normal team criticisms. Problem is because he always does that no one can tell when it actually is true.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
People should have waited to make evaluations of this team rather than speculating. When you have unrealistic expectations then you are disappointed. What would it have hurt to wait? Perceptions, one way or the other do not make a team any better or worse.
I have read many post on the BY and have seen interviews of the coaching staff and have not seen where one UConn coach has said this team is a FF contender or will be a top five team. The only people who have said that are Boneyarders. As willtalk states, wait on evaluations and have more realistic expectations. It can lower your disappointment level.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
The season is just getting started. The Coaches will have the team running like a fine oiled machine. Will there be a loss or 2, maybe. I believe UConn will be fine. Right now they have a 7 player rotation, but later in the season there could be a 8 or 9 player rotation. Christyn and Crystal might have to play 40 minutes some games, but UConn has been there before. DO NOT PANIC!!!

I just wanted to make a correction. They have a 6 player rotation, but later in the season there could be a 8 player rotation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom