OT: - A Little Rant About How the Press Reports on Women Athletes | The Boneyard

OT: A Little Rant About How the Press Reports on Women Athletes

Reaction Score
Stanford’s Anna Wilson got hurt in her game yesterday. I did a quick web search looking for updates about the injury. I’ve attached a screenshot of the results. By adding ‘Russell Wilson’s brother’ to the headlines and featuring it predominantly in the story, it devalues who she is and what she has accomplished. One way that women will gain greater equality is by changing the language used in the media to talk about them. It doesn’t matter that his fame is ‘greater’ than hers. He isn’t relevant to the story.

Attachments

• 7E7FC582-9E86-4393-865B-19FD2F6338F8.jpeg
    7E7FC582-9E86-4393-865B-19FD2F6338F8.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 44

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Stanford’s Anna Wilson got hurt in her game yesterday. I did a quick web search looking for updates about the injury. I’ve attached a screenshot of the results. By adding ‘Russell Wilson’s brother’ to the headlines and featuring it predominantly in the story, it devalues who she is and what she has accomplished. One way that women will gain greater equality is by changing the language used in the media to talk about them. It doesn’t matter that his fame is ‘greater’ than hers. He isn’t relevant to the story.

Not my reaction and hardly gender specific. If a male college basketball player has a famous sibling, it would be mentioned as well. For me, it brings in the perspective that she is part of an athletic family and is therefore somewhat relevant and interesting.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not my reaction and hardly gender specific. If a male college basketball player has a famous sibling, it would be mentioned as well. For me, it brings in the perspective that she is part of an athletic family and is therefore somewhat relevant and interesting.
Honestly, unless the athlete was a major superstar on the Serena Williams level, I seriously doubt they’d reference a female athlete like that. After all, most women’s sports are niche sports so a headline like “Breanna Stewart’s sister in car accident” would draw puzzled looks, even as she’s a star in the WNBA.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I see your point. The story is and should be about her. However, using her more famous brother's name would probably lead more people to read the story. A hook, so to speak. The aim of the headline writer is to draw attention to the reporter's story. Now, if the reporter spent most of his/her column writing about Russell instead of Anna, that would be gratuitous sexism.

Reaction Score
Kia's Brother and Uncle were regularly mentioned while watching Kia's games. That's the way of the world. The media goes for the more famous. In Connecticut Sports Kia is the most famous.
I regularly rant in and about our local paper: They run full pages stories about the football and Men's Basketball games and a footnote on the 3rd sports page about the women wiping the floor with a good team. Oh yea, that team is the Dukes, JMU Women.

Reaction Score
I see your point. The story is and should be about her. However, using her more famous brother's name would probably lead more people to read the story. A hook, so to speak. The aim of the headline writer is to draw attention to the reporter's story. Now, if the reporter spent most of his/her column writing about Russell instead of Anna, that would be gratuitous sexism.
Bama, not referring to this, I enjoy facetious-ness, nearly a lost "art".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve seen references to Kia Nurse’s brother (NHL), uncle (NFL), mother (WBB-Syracuse) and sister (Canadian National Hockey team). I’ve also seen articles on former NCAA MBB HC Craig Robinson also reference his better known sister and brother-in-law: the Obamas. I don’t think there is anything wrong or sexist in referencing famous family members.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree fully. @Puppy Love is also correct, Russell Wilson is not significant to the story, he is being used here to grab headlines, which could result in more sympathy for Anna. Good luck to Anna for a speedy recovery.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Apparently, not everyone on the Boneyard shares your enthusiasm for it. Poor Big was nearly tarred and feathered by some. But all's well that ends well. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I will probably both enjoy and employ facetiousness in the future. Stay tuned, my friend! And be sure to tell Big P you liked it. :D;):eek::rolleyes::cool:

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Guys, Wilson has played in 6 games, averaging 12 mpg. Outside of Palo Alto, this probably doesn’t even make the paper, except for her relationship to her older brother.

There are far too many unfair and sexist barriers that female athletes have to deal with. This is not one of them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Guys, Wilson has played in 6 games, averaging 12 mpg. Outside of Palo Alto, this probably doesn’t even make the paper, except for her relationship to her older brother.

There are far too many unfair and sexist barriers that female athletes have to deal with. This is not one of them.

"Guys" :mad: -> "Ladies and Gentlemen" ;)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I always use “guys” irrespective of gender. It’s a yankee version of “y’all.”
As a previous resident of the north, and a current resident of the Deep South, I beg to differ. Y'all here in Alabama has its northern equivalent in "you guys". Please respect our shared abuse of the English language. ;) BTW, in a large section of Pittsburgh, "you guys" is the refined version of yinz. :p

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'm glad you pointed out that reporters don't write their own headlines, Bama. Editors are supposed to help the reporter but sometimes the opposite is true. I've had the copy desk change the word "tony" (posh) to "tiny" and once, when I referred to someone as "without affectation" it hit the papyrus as "without affection."
The newsroom adage is that "journalists need good judgment and editors need good taste" but, unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I'm glad you pointed out that reporters don't write their own headlines, Bama. Editors are supposed to help the reporter but sometimes the opposite is true. I've had the copy desk change the word "tony" (posh) to "tiny" and once, when I referred to someone as "without affectation" it hit the papyrus as "without affection."
The newsroom adage is that "journalists need good judgment and editors need good taste" but, unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way.

I experienced similar issues with the press. I would submit company press releases to the local press only to have them "butchered" to the extent many important points were either lost or worse twisted into another meaning. I was told our press releases were too large and needed to be edited for space considerations. So I would edit our press releases to fit their supposed space requirements. Didn't matter. They still butchered them. I finally solved the problem by getting on local radio and TV business shows and always managing to say or imply what was written in the press would be nonsensical. After several short sharp calls from the press they finally printed our press releases as the were submitted.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I experienced similar issues with the press. I would submit company press releases to the local press only to have them "butchered" to the extent many important points were either lost or worse twisted into another meaning. I was told our press releases were too large and needed to be edited for space considerations. So I would edit our press releases to fit their supposed space requirements. Didn't matter. They still butchered them. I finally solved the problem by getting on local radio and TV business shows and always managing to say or imply what was written in the press would be nonsensical. After several short sharp calls from the press they finally printed our press releases as the were submitted.

well, you can bet you wouldn't be getting a single word printed free in any rag i ran ... buy an ad if you want it run verbatim

Reaction Score
Apparently, not everyone on the Boneyard shares your enthusiasm for it. Poor Big was nearly tarred and feathered by some. But all's well that ends well. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I will probably both enjoy and employ facetiousness in the future. Stay tuned, my friend! And be sure to tell Big P you liked it. :D;):eek::rolleyes::cool:
Oh,, I did yesterday. I thanked him for his humor to alleviate the pressures of the last few days awaiting those games to begin. I enjoy humor. Thank you too for YOUR humor. .

Reaction Score
As a previous resident of the north, and a current resident of the Deep South, I beg to differ. Y'all here in Alabama has its northern equivalent in "you guys". Please respect our shared abuse of the English language. ;) BTW, in a large section of Pittsburgh, "you guys" is the refined version of yinz. :p
I lived near half of my life below the Mason Dixon line. My Yankee kids within 3 months living in North Little Rock (not meaning a section of Little Rock but a single city) they Ya, All-ed like natives. My son had trouble with a teacher when she asked him a question and he said just YES. Yes what?, Yes I understand. Yes What? The boy next to him whispered---YES, Mam! Cultural difference. I truly like the people of the South and West, nice helpful people. Even got a pie the day we moved into North Little Rock, never happen in the place of my birth.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
well, you can bet you wouldn't be getting a single word printed free in any rag i ran ... buy an ad if you want it run verbatim

Well we were a big dog company and the business rags needed more than our press releases such as quotes on business topics and help with research. Two-way street. No news, no ads. We did run ads but the accuracy still sucked. Such is a quality of most newspapers' product. Why they tried to edit something they had little or no knowledge of was baffling. Doesn't matter any more with the Internet. Newspapers are becoming passé.

Reaction Score
Kia's Brother and Uncle were regularly mentioned while watching Kia's games. That's the way of the world. The media goes for the more famous. In Connecticut Sports Kia is the most famous.
I regularly rant in and about our local paper: They run full pages stories about the football and Men's Basketball games and a footnote on the 3rd sports page about the women wiping the floor with a good team. Oh yea, that team is the Dukes, JMU Women.
Most WBB teams get no local NP. SF Chronicle will cover Cal and Stanford some games next to the men’s

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Honestly, unless the athlete was a major superstar on the Serena Williams level, I seriously doubt they’d reference a female athlete like that. After all, most women’s sports are niche sports so a headline like “Breanna Stewart’s sister in car accident” would draw puzzled looks, even as she’s a star in the WNBA.
Thoughts and prayers to Bre's sister.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
In fact, I've noticed on the local level, girls athletics -- high school level and below -- are getting far greater press coverage now than in the last century, for sure. maybe more even than in the last decade. there's been a tremendous advance in respect -- at least at that level

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom