OT: - A Little Rant About How the Press Reports on Women Athletes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: A Little Rant About How the Press Reports on Women Athletes

Reaction Score
Sadly, you're right ... and it's become a huge and worsening problem
Why is it a problem? It's just a different media - more modern, and much faster getting to my brain. And I can get much more information on obscure topics (such as WBB, for instance) than I ever could in the print era.

I stopped subscribing to "paper" newspapers years ago. I spend just as much time lounging on Sunday morning with the news, it's must not printed on paper. And I'm reading stuff on Sunday morning that will be printed in Monday's "paper" - I already saw the Sunday morning "paper" news on Saturday.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Why is it a problem? It's just a different media - more modern, and much faster getting to my brain. And I can get much more information on obscure topics (such as WBB, for instance) than I ever could in the print era.

I stopped subscribing to "paper" newspapers years ago. I spend just as much time lounging on Sunday morning with the news, it's must not printed on paper. And I'm reading stuff on Sunday morning that will be printed in Monday's "paper" - I already saw the Sunday morning "paper" news on Saturday.
there are benefits to the techology, but dangers too. there are far too many and complex problems to get into here. wish i could, but it's too great a task -- and i'm afraid a hopeless one. if you don't see problems, i'm not gonna argue with you. have it your way.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

I take your point. There are many ways to get"news" now, and to get it more quickly. But my guess is that Paco was lamenting the decline of trained aggregators who ,with years of experience ,could curate the flow. The risk of poorly researched, poorly edited, and too often biased stories that pass as news has certainly increased. A well informed reader, given the time to fact check "news", can indeed get to the truth that is often concealed among the chaff. But not everyone is both informed and afforded the time to do so. This is not to say that all newspapers were well done on a consistent basis. Some were good, and some were bad. Some more liberal or more conservative in their opinion pages for certain. But generally , one could trust that "news' sections were reliable and consistent. I welcome the variety and speed we are afforded on line, but I still resort to old fashioned newspapers, albeit in their digital versions, for a great deal of my reading. I am retired, and read a great deal of each and every day. I consider myself to be well informed, and I seek various sources to ensure that I see differing opinions when reading editorial content. But it is my belief that a couple good "papers" enhance my understanding of the world around me. So I see the value in your posting, and also in Paco's. Both views can coexist without absolute contradiction. So I hail Gutenberg for inventing the press, and Al Gore for inventing the internet. ;)

Reaction Score
I take your point. There are many ways to get"news" now, and to get it more quickly. But my guess is that Paco was lamenting the decline of trained aggregators who ,with years of experience ,could curate the flow. The risk of poorly researched, poorly edited, and too often biased stories that pass as news has certainly increased. A well informed reader, given the time to fact check "news", can indeed get to the truth that is often concealed among the chaff. But not everyone is both informed and afforded the time to do so. This is not to say that all newspapers were well done on a consistent basis. Some were good, and some were bad. Some more liberal or more conservative in their opinion pages for certain. But generally , one could trust that "news' sections were reliable and consistent. I welcome the variety and speed we are afforded on line, but I still resort to old fashioned newspapers, albeit in their digital versions, for a great deal of my reading. I am retired, and read a great deal of each and every day. I consider myself to be well informed, and I seek various sources to ensure that I see differing opinions when reading editorial content. But it is my belief that a couple good "papers" enhance my understanding of the world around me. So I see the value in your posting, and also in Paco's. Both views can coexist without absolute contradiction. So I hail Gutenberg for inventing the press, and Al Gore for inventing the internet. ;)
I appreciate good journalism too, and agree with you that much of that is lacking today - on the Internet and otherwise. I love the New York Times. If I'm following a story about Timbuktu, I can read 4 stories by 2 Timbuktu writers from the NYT Timbuktu desk.

Bias is nothing new. As always, if I read Time I just have to be aware what I'm reading is polluted by the publisher's tree-hugging liberal philosophy. Ditto from the other side - if I read US News & World Report I must realize that what I'm reading came from Rush Limbaugh's brother from another mother. Same goes for newspapers and TV networks. Although slightly more subtle, a safe assumption is these are almost all on the liberal side (unless they are Fox or almost all the media here in Arizona).

News is cheap nowadays, so there is concern that professionalism has been priced out. But professionalism still rises to the top, and that's still available, fortunately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom