A little bit of perspective | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A little bit of perspective

Reaction Score
Even though I'm one of those people who love to see the Huskies go undefeated I think this is one of the greatest years ever for women's college basketball with so many teams in contention. For the first time in several years there are at least seven or eight teams capable of taking the title. And even with our loss we are still one of them.

Reaction Score
Even with the way ONO played offensively, she played defense fairly well. Maybe the lesson also was for the 3 players who took 53 shots and had 6 assists in the Baylor game. They passed better against Houston.

Reaction Score
He’s a heckuva lot more than just a good recruiter. Geez.
If he's "a lot more" then why were his two best rebounders and defensive aces sitting on the bench at crunch time? .. can you explain that? Geez.

Reaction Score
If he's "a lot more" then why were his two best rebounders and defensive aces sitting on the bench at crunch time? .. can you explain that? Geez.

Remarkable my comment needs an explanation. WCBB is littered with coaches who do a great job recruiting with little or nothing to show for it in the floor. See Holly-Tennessee and Karen-Texas for two recent examples. So, to support my argument are 11 National titles and a style of basketball that is characterized by effort, teamwork and unselfish passing. And to support your argument that Geno is only a recruiter and not a game coach is that you didn’t like his substitution decisions in one quarter of one game. Yep, you’ve convinced me.

Reaction Score
Even with the way ONO played offensively, she played defense fairly well. Maybe the lesson also was for the 3 players who took 53 shots and had 6 assists in the Baylor game. They passed better against Houston.
That's what i m talking about ... !

Reaction Score
Remarkable my comment needs an explanation. WCBB is littered with coaches who do a great job recruiting with little or nothing to show for it in the floor. See Holly-Tennessee and Karen-Texas for two recent examples. So, to support my argument are 11 National titles and a style of basketball that is characterized by effort, teamwork and unselfish passing. And to support your argument that Geno is only a recruiter and not a game coach is that you didn’t like his substitution decisions in one quarter of one game. Yep, you’ve convinced me.
"one quarter of one game" can be very telling .. I still didn't catch your explanation?

Reaction Score
"one quarter of one game" can be very telling .. I still didn't catch your explanation?

Exactly. I’m pointing to a quarter century of performance. You are relying on 10 minutes.Head bang

Reaction Score
Generally I stay off the boards for a day or so after a UCONN loss (which thankfully happens rarely). But first and foremost, Geno does not coach to win every game of the year. He coaches to get the team prepared for the NCAA's.

Sitting Liv - he's done it with many players. Most recently, during the Stewie era, he sat Breanna and Morgan for an entire game. Message received. While I never root for a loss, the game pointed out a couple glaring problems with the team. Post play, on both ends of the floor, and the fact that from a scoring perspective, it was basically 3 on 5 for pretty much the entire game.

Sitting Olivia? Hopefully message received. We will see how she responds. She's a sophomore. Was playing so well this season that she ended up on the Naismith watch list. And it's not like our schedule was cupcake city. But she was ineffective this game. Kyla is a wonderful story, and would be a starter on many WCBB teams, but against top 10 competition, she will struggle. Nothing wrong with that. Still love her and her effort.

Anna and Aubrey - meh. But they are freshmen. Anna couldn't really get open and Aubrey was overwhelmed. But again, freshmen.

For the perspective part. No one expected UCONN to go undefeated this season. This is our "rebuilding year". Look at who we have coming in next season - lots of post help, and both Olivia and Aubrey will be a year older. The best thing about freshmen? They eventually become sophomores. Also, UCONN played Baylor tight for about 33 minutes. But that's why games are 40 minutes. We fell apart in the 4th quarter. Lots of teachable moments. Let's hope Aubrey, Olivia, and Anna learn big time from this game and see how they do the rest of the season.

Congrats to Baylor for playing a better 40 minutes. I get that people are frustrated and disappointed by the loss. We are all fans so that's to be expected. I expect us to drop to about #4-5, which is where I think we belong anyway at this time. We still have games against SC, Oregon, Tennessee, and the US National team. Not to mention USF and UCF - the 2 teams in our conference who will give us a tussle (they won't win, but they will challenge us). Lots of chances for the team to challenge themselves against solid to great competition and see where we stand. For the record I don't expect the Tennessee game to be close, but there are still a top 25'ish team.

Lastly, let's not step over the ledge. End of dynasty? End of era? Beginning of the end? Geno's fault? Pack in the season? Just look to next year and give up? No thanks. We are so lucky to be UCONN fans. The problem with this team is the recruiting the last 3 years. Geno missed out on too many post players and didn't have enough of a back up plan. That has been corrected BIG TIME... :D

Oh, and there's still at LOT of basketball to be played this year...!!
Sitting may be a message but what exactly IS the message? She failed to follow orders?? She didn't do as she has the talent tod do? I could go on, you get the idea!
In place of public messages an effective method that works with many people for many reasons is: Teach her! This is what you did wrong this is how to handle it! Now that works when there is an exact FIX. But what happened to Olivia was a TEAM--Coaching and players-- failure or lack of size--. Olivia was taken out of the game by Baylors size and athleticism. If Uconn sees that again how will Uconn overcome that?? Not with the lack of size and lack of Bench Uconn will have until next season. What is the lesson for Olivia to learn from THAT?
I, as @JoePgh suggested, believe more than anything Geno took her out of the Baylor game for Olivia's benefit and to protect her. I doubt seriously Geno had suggestions for how Olivia could have played better or how she could have scored when ONLY 3 of the 7 or 8 players scored.
True there is a lot of basketball and a lot of games to be won that can and shall be won. Olivia is talented, intelligent, capable, and determined all that happened in the Baylor game was not her fault. She is what she is and that's pretty good. She will be AA before she graduates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom