A little bit of perspective | The Boneyard

A little bit of perspective

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Generally I stay off the boards for a day or so after a UCONN loss (which thankfully happens rarely). But first and foremost, Geno does not coach to win every game of the year. He coaches to get the team prepared for the NCAA's.

Sitting Liv - he's done it with many players. Most recently, during the Stewie era, he sat Breanna and Morgan for an entire game. Message received. While I never root for a loss, the game pointed out a couple glaring problems with the team. Post play, on both ends of the floor, and the fact that from a scoring perspective, it was basically 3 on 5 for pretty much the entire game.

Sitting Olivia? Hopefully message received. We will see how she responds. She's a sophomore. Was playing so well this season that she ended up on the Naismith watch list. And it's not like our schedule was cupcake city. But she was ineffective this game. Kyla is a wonderful story, and would be a starter on many WCBB teams, but against top 10 competition, she will struggle. Nothing wrong with that. Still love her and her effort.

Anna and Aubrey - meh. But they are freshmen. Anna couldn't really get open and Aubrey was overwhelmed. But again, freshmen.

For the perspective part. No one expected UCONN to go undefeated this season. This is our "rebuilding year". Look at who we have coming in next season - lots of post help, and both Olivia and Aubrey will be a year older. The best thing about freshmen? They eventually become sophomores. Also, UCONN played Baylor tight for about 33 minutes. But that's why games are 40 minutes. We fell apart in the 4th quarter. Lots of teachable moments. Let's hope Aubrey, Olivia, and Anna learn big time from this game and see how they do the rest of the season.

Congrats to Baylor for playing a better 40 minutes. I get that people are frustrated and disappointed by the loss. We are all fans so that's to be expected. I expect us to drop to about #4-5, which is where I think we belong anyway at this time. We still have games against SC, Oregon, Tennessee, and the US National team. Not to mention USF and UCF - the 2 teams in our conference who will give us a tussle (they won't win, but they will challenge us). Lots of chances for the team to challenge themselves against solid to great competition and see where we stand. For the record I don't expect the Tennessee game to be close, but there are still a top 25'ish team.

Lastly, let's not step over the ledge. End of dynasty? End of era? Beginning of the end? Geno's fault? Pack in the season? Just look to next year and give up? No thanks. We are so lucky to be UCONN fans. The problem with this team is the recruiting the last 3 years. Geno missed out on too many post players and didn't have enough of a back up plan. That has been corrected BIG TIME... :D

Oh, and there's still at LOT of basketball to be played this year...!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Can we still brag about our consecutive wins streak at Gampel Pavilion? :)
That is one of my perspectives. :eek:

Reaction Score
It all comes down to playing, learning then achieving. I for one never thought that we were a Top-4 team this year. But, that is only me. Eventually, I predict us being a #2 seed, which is about right. At worst a #3 if losses Tyler Phommachanh Oregon and South Carolina occur. How far does this team go? That will be determined. But, will be interesting to see how things develop.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The time to be concerned is if UConn loses to Tennessee, at home. Also, the powerhouse SC allowed over 70 points to a not so good team last night. That could be a good sign for UConn, which is not the only good team that struggles.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The time to be concerned is if UConn loses to Tennessee, at home. Also, the powerhouse SC allowed over 70 points to a not so good team last night. That could be a good sign for UConn, which is not the only good team that struggles.
SC starts 3 freshmen. Plus they get lots of minutes off the bench from... freshmen Amihere. I expect them to be up and down, like all freshmen...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
SC starts 3 freshmen. Plus they get lots of minutes off the bench from... freshmen Amihere. I expect them to be up and down, like all freshmen...
I just mentioned SC. There are other good teams that have struggled with teams they should have easily beaten. It has made for an interesting season so far.

Reaction Score
I dont expect Uconn to make the final four this year and maybe not even the Elite 8 ( 14 years in a row ). I hope they prove me wrong!

Reaction Score
Arkansas is a good shooting team. The thing with SC is they easily get a big lead then take the foot on the gas if they don't take the game super seriously. I wouldn't expect that kind of game vs UConn.

Reaction Score
Generally I stay off the boards for a day or so after a UCONN loss (which thankfully happens rarely). But first and foremost, Geno does not coach to win every game of the year. He coaches to get the team prepared for the NCAA's.

Sitting Liv - he's done it with many players. Most recently, during the Stewie era, he sat Breanna and Morgan for an entire game. Message received. While I never root for a loss, the game pointed out a couple glaring problems with the team. Post play, on both ends of the floor, and the fact that from a scoring perspective, it was basically 3 on 5 for pretty much the entire game.

Sitting Olivia? Hopefully message received. We will see how she responds. She's a sophomore. Was playing so well this season that she ended up on the Naismith watch list. And it's not like our schedule was cupcake city. But she was ineffective this game. Kyla is a wonderful story, and would be a starter on many WCBB teams, but against top 10 competition, she will struggle. Nothing wrong with that. Still love her and her effort.

Anna and Aubrey - meh. But they are freshmen. Anna couldn't really get open and Aubrey was overwhelmed. But again, freshmen.

For the perspective part. No one expected UCONN to go undefeated this season. This is our "rebuilding year". Look at who we have coming in next season - lots of post help, and both Olivia and Aubrey will be a year older. The best thing about freshmen? They eventually become sophomores. Also, UCONN played Baylor tight for about 33 minutes. But that's why games are 40 minutes. We fell apart in the 4th quarter. Lots of teachable moments. Let's hope Aubrey, Olivia, and Anna learn big time from this game and see how they do the rest of the season.

Congrats to Baylor for playing a better 40 minutes. I get that people are frustrated and disappointed by the loss. We are all fans so that's to be expected. I expect us to drop to about #4-5, which is where I think we belong anyway at this time. We still have games against SC, Oregon, Tennessee, and the US National team. Not to mention USF and UCF - the 2 teams in our conference who will give us a tussle (they won't win, but they will challenge us). Lots of chances for the team to challenge themselves against solid to great competition and see where we stand. For the record I don't expect the Tennessee game to be close, but there are still a top 25'ish team.

Lastly, let's not step over the ledge. End of dynasty? End of era? Beginning of the end? Geno's fault? Pack in the season? Just look to next year and give up? No thanks. We are so lucky to be UCONN fans. The problem with this team is the recruiting the last 3 years. Geno missed out on too many post players and didn't have enough of a back up plan. That has been corrected BIG TIME... :D

I hope the ??fans?? that are throwing Geno and the team under the bus read this article, THEY NEED TOO.
GOOD observation and conclusions, thank you for that....

Reaction Score
But they are capable. To do that they need contributions up snd down the bench.
I agree but I really dont see a true leader on this team. In the second half when the offense got out of sync. Nobody stepped up to take control of the team. Before this year I dont remember such poorly run offense and someone was always getting in a teammates face! Whether it was Bird, Rizzotti, Rita, Lishness, Rene, Taurasi, Hartley and Moriah and that is just the guards!Also the terrible shooting looked like the beginning of the year. 29% shooting wont cut it. Missed layups and foul shots have to stop.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Interesting CD comment on the radio post-Houston (glad she had the time to do this - always appreciate her perspective): "We may look back on the Baylor game as the turning point in the season."

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Interesting CD comment on the radio post-Houston (glad she had the time to do this - always appreciate her perspective): "We may look back on the Baylor game as the turning point in the season."
Can't argue with that...it turned us from having another undefeated season. :)

Seriously now, it's a joke!!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The problem with this team is the recruiting the last 3 years. Geno missed out on too many post players and didn't have enough of a back up plan. That has been corrected BIG TIME... :D

Excellent post. I said 2 years, but yeah you're right on both counts. Malady cured but we have to live with the consequences for now.

Reaction Score

There's a BIG difference between sitting Stewie and Tuck in a game you know you are going to win vs sitting Liv & Griff in a game that's on the line .. esp, when Liv & Griff could have picked up valuable game experience against a team like Baylor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's a BIG difference between sitting Stewie and Tuck in a game you know you are going to win vs sitting Liv & Griff in a game that's on the line .. esp, when Liv & Griff could have picked up valuable game experience against a team like Baylor.
Not sure what your point is. Did you watch the game? Liv was terrible. Aubrey overmatched. I think Geno sends a smarter message by letting them ride the pine, but maybe you know better... :)

Reaction Score
Not sure what your point is. Did you watch the game? Liv was terrible. Aubrey overmatched. I think Geno sends a smarter message by letting them ride the pine, but maybe you know better... :)
Yes .. I watched the game .. I thought my point was clear .. but we just see things differently, eh? No biggie.
I think most of us know what kind of talent UConn has this year and, thus, I think Geno should, IMO, coach accordingly.

Reaction Score

Great post Eric. Everything you said is true. I only hope all the Boneyarders read it and agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom