A little (Ashlynn) Shade | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A little (Ashlynn) Shade

Reaction Score
Lots of court savvy (shout out to Meg C.) and awareness..
Nice to see her pass out of her back-down, turn-around.
This is one of her top offensive tools. Not a wonder to see double teams.
Eager for June to get here!
I saw Ashlynn when, as a junior, she led Noblesville ( Indiana ) to state championship. She was unstoppable. The thing is; she was playing everywhere from guard to " in the paint." And, at 5"10" she isn't going to play in the paint at CONN. She will likely get a lot of time at guard ( either one, I think ) and dominate with drive and pull up accuracy. She used a fade away jump shot in HS that no one could stop. The problem is; At the point; Paige and KK will be number one and two. And at shooting guard, AZZI will get most of the time. Geno will have to figure it out. But he will.

Reaction Score
Expect Ashlyn to see a lot of pt at Uconn this year. She is great at defense and will be great teamed with Nika. Also, she can shoot and will be a great and needed back up for Azzi.

Reaction Score
I saw Ashlynn when, as a junior, she led Noblesville ( Indiana ) to state championship. She was unstoppable. The thing is; she was playing everywhere from guard to " in the paint." And, at 5"10" she isn't going to play in the paint at CONN. She will likely get a lot of time at guard ( either one, I think ) and dominate with drive and pull up accuracy. She used a fade away jump shot in HS that no one could stop. The problem is; At the point; Paige and KK will be number one and two. And at shooting guard, AZZI will get most of the time. Geno will have to figure it out. But he will.
I agree with you about her HS career. Ashlynn is used to carrying a team. And you’re right that she’ll have to break in to the lineup over some significant tallent: Azzi and Paige. I don’t see her as a competitor for the pg spot, at least not regularly. She doesn’t have KK’s twitchy quickness. She’s an excellent spot up shooter. That says 2 guard (and occasional wing) to me. She’s also court savvy like Caroline, very strong and a total ball hawk, which may make up for her size.

sun

Reaction Score
I think Shade can do some really good things & will become more important as her career progresses & others leave.
I'd like to see her score some meaningful points this year so that she feels impactful & important to the team.
She's also familiar with Ayanna so maybe they'll try to help each other to be productive when on the court together, even if that's only during practice at first.
She's a solid player who should be able to really help the team score in a pinch, & won't back down from anyone.
She seems very committed & willing to do whatever is asked or needed of her.

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
.... she was playing everywhere from guard to " in the paint." And, at 5"10" she isn't going to play in the paint at CONN. ...
umm. i recall jamelle, barbara turner and gabby starting and being mighty productive in the paint. ... i wouldn't be surprised if others are cited.

Reaction Score
Leadership is the #1 skill that I have seen in all of Shade's videos. I see some of what made Lou Senechal great in her - never backs down and usually finds a way to get the job done on both offense AND defense. With skills on both sides of the ball, Geno will be able to sub her in for most situations.

Reaction Score
Leadership is the #1 skill that I have seen in all of Shade's videos. I see some of what made Lou Senechal great in her - never backs down and usually finds a way to get the job done on both offense AND defense. With skills on both sides of the ball, Geno will be able to sub her in for most situations.
Geno’s going to have his hands full keeping everyone happy with playing time with Paige returning, that being said he does have some experience doing just that. Team first!

Reaction Score
Exactly. She’s been a leader and the go-to player on her hs teams. That’s a character thing and it won’t go away. The other striking thing you get from watching her hs game tapes is that she typically never sat. At Noblesvillle she even pressed for entire games. Unsurprisingly, this has given her a real nose for the ball.

I have to admit that though she seemed bigger than her 5’10 in hs games, in her summer games (and especially in the national games) against the sort of talent she’s likely to see in D1 she seemed small. Even so, I expect her to play big no matter what — like Nika taking rebounds away from Cameron Brink in the Final Four game two seasons ago.

Reaction Score
I agree with you about her HS career. Ashlynn is used to carrying a team. And you’re right that she’ll have to break in to the lineup over some significant tallent: Azzi and Paige. I don’t see her as a competitor for the pg spot, at least not regularly. She doesn’t have KK’s twitchy quickness. She’s an excellent spot up shooter. That says 2 guard (and occasional wing) to me. She’s also court savvy like Caroline, very strong and a total ball hawk, which may make up for her size.
I think you are right, Dog.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Shade will get minutes if she impresses in practice no matter how many in front of her. If you remember, when Caroline was a freshman Geno praised her up and down during the preseason. For that effort, she appeared in the first few games, but she was a bundle of nerves, fumbling the ball and throwing up bricks. It wasn't until the injuries that she was put in the Louisville game and the rest is history. So if Shade can do what Caroline did in practice, she will get on the court.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
All four of our freshmen are very very talented and were high school phenoms. At some point, I believe ALL FOUR will pan out, dial in and become the better-than-average players that Geno and the staff want/expect them to be. More than anything else, I'm hoping at least one of them makes the adjustments to "effectively" play at this level IMMEDIATELY.

Which one I don't care. The sooner they adjust to playing at this "elite" level, the more depth Geno will have against other elite-level teams they'll play during the year. Geno will identify his starters and the first three off the bench once official practice begins in October. He can win consistently with 8 "solid" players during the first two months of the season.

Because of their European tour this summer, everyone will get a head start on finding their place on the depth chart and in the rotation. Hopefully, one of the beat writers will travel with the team, and give us regular updates on the progress of the team collectively and the players individually. A brief post-game interview with Geno to get his thoughts/concerns on the game would also be of great interest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She has good ball handling skills and a great looking shot. With the make up of next years team I think a player like her could be in there but she would have to be the best defender of the other shooters. I see Paige and Azzi really moving with the ball which will open someone up to set and shoot threes from the corner. I think the tie breaker will be defense since UCONN has so many players that can shoot.
Azzi will have to show some terrific skills because I don't think Gino will take her out of games regardless of his tough love commitments toward his players. Azzi was injured most of the last year and she never hit her stride. I fear her and Paige getting injured again and I worry about CD and her worries about getting cracked in the head again. One more concussion and I think CD's parents would say "no mas".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom