A.J. Liddell | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A.J. Liddell

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Like I told the broken record.

I don't work for UConn, I'm not a recruiter for UConn, it's not my responsiblity to pitch UConn. Unfortunately it's frowned up on on this board, but forgive me for telling the truth.

http://www.chinstrapninjas.com/2011-nfl-draft-all-28-wide-receivers-drafted/

21 of 28 came from "warm" weather schools. The 7 that didn't?

Boise St x2
Pitt
Indiana
Mount Union (OH)
Nebraska
Colorado

The other 21?
Georgia
Alabama
UNC
Maryland
Kentucky
Miami
SDSU x2
Troy
Georgia
Abilene Christian (TX)
Hawaii x2
Tennessee
TCU
Stanford
ECU
SMU
USC x2
West Texas A&M

Did you really just classify Maryland as a "Warm Weather School"? Is that you Randy? :D

Reaction Score
Did you really just classify Maryland as a "Warm Weather School"? Is that you Randy? :D
Did you see the quotes I put on warm?

"warm" as in relative to UConn, yes, it's warm. relative to Florida, no it's not. But we're using UConn as the baseline in comparisons, not Florida.

Reaction Score
Three star Kashif Moore (New Jersey) was a better WR than four star Dwayne Difton (Floriduh).

Marcus Easley is a Connecticut product through and through.

When we get good QB play, like we did for a time in 2009, all of the sudden our WRs look competent. The fact is, receivers catch more balls when more catchable passes are made.

Reaction Score

Lexington, Kentucky is hardly "warm" from October on. There isn't much difference in weather between Lexington, Louisville and Indianapolis.

Reaction Score
for the THIRD TIME
Disagree that it was recruiting. He either never could develop the passing game or just ignored/gave up on it. He was dealt a good hand with Brown and Todman and just rode it. We never had any intention to throw the ball vertically.

It was apparent when we got rid of Dennis Brown See below.

2005 Season
Forced into action to start against Rutgers (Oct. 22) and West Virginia (Nov. 2) due to injuries to both Matt Bonislawski and D.J. Hernandez, becoming the third Husky signal caller to make their first career start in UConn's first seven games … Played admirably in a pair of losses, completing 28-of-54 passes for 293 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions … His 51.9% completion percentage led the team … Had a 102.24 efficiency rating … Was 10-for-19 at West
Virginia for 97 yards with one interception while under heavy pressure throughout the game … Made his collegiate debut against Rutgers and nearly led UConn to victory, completing 18 of his 35 passes for 196 yards with two touchdowns and one interception.

Reaction Score
Not exactly true. We did have a vertical passing threat under Edsall. key word - threat. Key missing words, is that the threat became progressively smaller and smaller as the years went by. THe pass routes where there. But it was all based on the running game, and play action and building a pass attack off the running game.

You can do it the other way, pass to run, and there are many times when you go up against a team, and based on teh strenghts and weaknesses of that team, it's exactly what you should do. Edsall's teams over time stopped doing that, and we ran the ball into whatever front the defense gave, and then took shots down the field in increasingly feeble attempts. My opinion is that Edsall just stopped game planning that way, because he felt like the players wouldn't get the job done.

We game planned both ways in 2011, running to pass, and passing to run, and the players were put in position to succeed.

Reaction Score
Disagree that it was recruiting. He either never could develop the passing game or just ignored/gave up on it. He was dealt a good hand with Brown and Todman and just rode it. We never had any intention to throw the ball vertically.

It was apparent when we got rid of Dennis Brown See below.

2005 Season
Forced into action to start against Rutgers (Oct. 22) and West Virginia (Nov. 2) due to injuries to both Matt Bonislawski and D.J. Hernandez, becoming the third Husky signal caller to make their first career start in UConn's first seven games … Played admirably in a pair of losses, completing 28-of-54 passes for 293 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions … His 51.9% completion percentage led the team … Had a 102.24 efficiency rating … Was 10-for-19 at West
Virginia for 97 yards with one interception while under heavy pressure throughout the game … Made his collegiate debut against Rutgers and nearly led UConn to victory, completing 18 of his 35 passes for 196 yards with two touchdowns and one interception.

I'd respond with facts that disprove your opinion, (see Cody Endres) but you seem to think "we got rid of Dennis Brown" so I think I would be wasting my time. We got rid of Dennis Brown the same way we got rid of Michael Box, by granting their transfer requests.

Reaction Score
I'd respond with facts that disprove your opinion, (see Cody Endres) but you seem to think "we got rid of Dennis Brown" so I think I would be wasting my time. We got rid of Dennis Brown the same way we got rid of Michael Box, by granting their transfer requests.
He was shown the door without any competition whatsoever. Tyler was given the keys which was a mistake in my opinion. Brown did better in his first two games starting than just about anybody - including Tyler. Brown demonstrated that he could play in a real game, complete real passes and make real touchdowns. Mr. Box, however, never demonstrated such.

Reaction Score
He was shown the door without any competition whatsoever. Tyler was given the keys which was a mistake in my opinion. Brown did better in his first two games starting than just about anybody - including Tyler. Brown demonstrated that he could play in a real game, complete real passes and make real touchdowns. Mr. Box, however, never demonstrated such.

LMAO. We went from 2-5 to 5-2 and a share of the conference crown the time that Tyler was given the car keys. And, that year, he performed well. That's really your gripe? And some of you wonder why there are those of us who get tired of Edsall being criticized for Obamacare and the NRA?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dennis Brown? The same Dennis Brown who's Norfolk State teams were beyond terrible? Yeah, he was probably the answer.

Reaction Score
Dennis Brown? The same Dennis Brown who's Norfolk State teams were beyond terrible? Yeah, he was probably the answer.
All I am saying is that Edsall gave up on the passing game and demonstrated it by getting rid of a guy who showed that he could get something done and substituting it with somebody who could not complete a 4 yard pass by the end of his career. Imagine what would have happened had we developed Brown. Oh yes, keeping a future NFL star Easely on the bench was another one of my pet peeves.

Sorry BIZ I the 5-2 story is getting old. We would have done better with Brown.

Reaction Score
LMAO. We went from 2-5 to 5-2 and a share of the conference crown the time that Tyler was given the car keys. And, that year, he performed well. That's really your gripe? And some of you wonder why there are those of us who get tired of Edsall being criticized for Obamacare and the NRA?

We went 5-2 solely because of Donald Brown. Without him we were a shell. If you call what we had a passing game then you are mistaken.

Actually I liked RE and where he brought the program. I have three gripes. The way he left, the fact that he just abandoned/never developed the passing game, and the fact that the QB position was given to TL without any competition.

Good RB's have masked what has been wrong with the program when RE was here. PP will have to fix that and I think he has had a reasonably good start.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We went 5-2 solely because of Donald Brown. Without him we were a shell. If you call what we had a passing game then you are mistaken.

If only Andre Dixon didn't lead that team in rushing you would have had such a great point... so close!

Reaction Score

Actually I liked RE and where he brought the program. I have three gripes. The way he left, the fact that he just abandoned/never developed the passing game, and the fact that the QB position was given to TL without any competition.

Good RB's have masked what has been wrong with the program when RE was here. PP will have to fix that and I think he has had a reasonably good start.

The 5-2 year was not Donald Brown's year. Brown started as the #1, lost the job to Dixon, who did the heavy lifting in most of our Big East wins, and then Brown started in Charlotte. But again, no reason we can't simply misstate facts in our hurry to make a former coach look dumb.

Reaction Score
The 5-2 year was not Donald Brown's year. Brown started as the #1, lost the job to Dixon, who did the heavy lifting in most of our Big East wins, and then Brown started in Charlotte. But again, no reason we can't simply misstate facts in our hurry to make a former coach look dumb.
Actually the first year Tyler was acceptable and Brown began to find his stride. Even though we lost he had his best game against VA - there. The second year, thankfully, it was ALL Brown and the passing game regressed to a 3 yard TD against Buffalo in a meaningless Bowl game. It started with a three int game against some no-name outfit and got worse every game. Not buying any of what you are dishing out. Dennis Brown would have been better. Certainly better than 3 TD passes and 13 INT's as a senior, which ARE FACTS. He could at least complete a pass. Our passing game, the second year, consisted of handing off to Brown.

Again I liked RE and thought he was a good coach and brought the program farther than anybody could have. However, he never could get the passing game right. He never could develop any QB under him. Our passing game was 100th nationwide, at best, every year.

I do not blame him for ObamaCare. He is responsible for Global Warming and the Debt Crisis however.

Reaction Score
You are actually saying that Tyler shouldn't have started in '07 because he ended up being not good in '08. Amazing

Reaction Score
You are actually saying that Tyler shouldn't have started in '07 because he ended up being not good in '08. Amazing
Stick to the topic please. My original post criticized RE for having never developed a vertical passing game and not creating competition for QB in 07/08. It was a response to a post that said that our players were not good enough. I disagree with that.

He should have kept Brown around at least for competition's sake or to start. My honest opinion is that we would have been better off either way. TL was at very best mediocre after all the fanfare and regressed immensely under RE's tutelage.

If you look at the way we approached the passing game this year it was light years ahead of anything RE ever did

Reaction Score

Shown the door? By being granted a request to transfer?

Is that like quitting your job, and telling the unemployment office you were laid off?

Reaction Score
Stick to the topic please. My original post criticized RE for having never developed a vertical passing game and not creating competition for QB in 07/08. It was a response to a post that said that our players were not good enough. I disagree with that.

He should have kept Brown around at least for competition's sake or to start. My honest opinion is that we would have been better off either way. TL was at very best mediocre after all the fanfare and regressed immensely under RE's tutelage.

Stick to the topic? The topic was AJ Liddell.

Dennis Brown asked for a transfer, was Edsall supposed to tell him no?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i want aj. would be a good get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads