A.J. Liddell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A.J. Liddell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like I told the broken record.

I don't work for UConn, I'm not a recruiter for UConn, it's not my responsiblity to pitch UConn. Unfortunately it's frowned up on on this board, but forgive me for telling the truth.

http://www.chinstrapninjas.com/2011-nfl-draft-all-28-wide-receivers-drafted/

21 of 28 came from "warm" weather schools. The 7 that didn't?

Boise St x2
Pitt
Indiana
Mount Union (OH)
Nebraska
Colorado

The other 21?
Georgia
Alabama
UNC
Maryland
Kentucky
Miami
SDSU x2
Troy
Georgia
Abilene Christian (TX)
Hawaii x2
Tennessee
TCU
Stanford
ECU
SMU
USC x2
West Texas A&M

I see a lot of non bcs names on those lists. Maybe we need to look where Abilene and West Texas A&M are looking or maybe Mount Union. Seriously the draft speaks to uncertainty that is recruiting. Every year you get players drafted from small schools that makes me wish they had come to UConn. Just recently either Colgate or Fordham had a huge QB out of Texas drafted. How the hell could those schools find that caliber a player in Texas and we struggled so damn much to find average, college level passers. Luck of the draw I guess.

Reaction Score
I see a lot of non bcs names on those lists. Maybe we need to look where Abilene and West Texas A&M are looking or maybe Mount Union. Seriously the draft speaks to uncertainty that is recruiting. Every year you get players drafted from small schools that makes me wish they had come to UConn. Just recently either Colgate or Fordham had a huge QB out of Texas drafted. How the hell could those schools find that caliber a player in Texas and we struggled so damn much to find average, college level passers. Luck of the draw I guess.

Need better recruiting (recruiters) and . . . AND . . . a comittment to the passing not. . . not as some afterthought or necessary evil

Reaction Score
13 of the 28 did not even come from BCS conferences, so you proved your comment about WR's wanting to play in the NFL being better off in any BCS conference not called the Big East, totally incorrect.

Furthermore, five of the above WR's come from teams that will be in the Big East Conference starting in 2013. That ties with the SEC for most of the BCS conferences.

Breakdown of your above list, by school, by future conference.

Big East (5)
Boise x2
SDSU x2
SMU 1

SEC (5)
Georgia (2)
Alabama
Tennessee
Kentucky

Big 10 (2)
Nebraska
Indiana

ACC (4)
Pitt
Maryland
Miami
UNC

Big 12
TCU

Pac 12
Colorado
USC (x2)
Stanford

My comments about playing for other BCS conferences was based on the way the Big East was constituted, not how it will be constituted. You can't credit the Big East for NFL recruits that never even played in the Big East. It remains to be seen if the fact the "future" big east had 5 in one year will be a trend or an outlier.

Pitt is the only school with a WR drafted last year from the Big East, and Baldwin would have been drafted no matter what school he went to.

No comment on the weather playing a factor?

Reaction Score
Your comment about BCS conferences is obviously incorrect. Half the players on your list are from non-BCS schools.

Sure weather could be playing a part, but Rutgers doesn't seem to have a problem getting WR's to NJ. We simply need to identify and recruit better. The weather thing is an excuse.

Reaction Score
Your comment about BCS conferences is obviously incorrect. Half the players on your list are from non-BCS schools.

Sure weather could be playing a part, but Rutgers doesn't seem to have a problem getting WR's to NJ. We simply need to identify and recruit better. The weather thing is an excuse.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions?id=1&year=2010&_slug_=wide-receivers&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions?id=1&year=2010&_slug_=wide-receivers

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions?id=1&year=2009&_slug_=wide-receivers&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions?id=1&year=2009&_slug_=wide-receivers

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions?id=1&year=2008&_slug_=wide-receivers&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions?id=1&year=2008&_slug_=wide-receivers

2010- 19 out 27 from BCS conferences (3 big east) 70% BCS
2009- 24 out of 35 from BCS conferences (3 big east) 68% BCS
2008 25 out of 42 from BCS conferences (2 big east) 59% BCS

The numbers will get better once the new schools come in, but that is because 1) SDSU, SMU, Houston are all warm weather schools, and 2) the offense that Boise runs.

I never said we shouldn't, couldn't, or wouldn't do better recruiting WRs, in fact I said the exact opposite. But to call the weather an excuse is to ignore reality. Look at where the WR draft picks are coming from. Largely warm weather schools. It doesn't mean we can't recruit WRs, only that it's a little bit more difficult here than at souther schools.

Reaction Score
You could probably come up w/those stats for most positions -hence the recruitng frenzy in the SE, TX, and CA. CFB has moved south.

Besides, its always dangerous to pull one year and make a case around it . Look at the top WR prospects for this year - it is littered with names like Ok State, ND, Wis., Rutgers, Iowa, Ill., OU, WMU, Mich., MSU, and OhSt.

Is it a challenge to get kids from FL to go to school at UConn, maybe. But it's merely a challenge, there is no reason this staff can't get the players it feels it needs to implement the schemeds they want.

Reaction Score
Weather is a factor, but it is a small factor. It's fair to say it has a bigger impact on how well we recruit WR than OL. It's likely to be more accurate to say the prior coaching staff was the real reason we couldn't recruit WR (and QB), we'll find out in the next few recruiting classes. It's cold and snows in Cincinatti, we should be able to get a guy like Armon Binns.

Apparently some recent respondents missed this comment and are taking my posts out of context, so I'm reposting what I said very early on in the discussion.

Reaction Score
You could probably come up w/those stats for most positions -hence the recruitng frenzy in the SE, TX, and CA. CFB has moved south.

I don't believe the numbers are as skewed toward when it comes to RBs, OL, or QB, but I'm not sure. The Big 10 seems to produce a lot of NFL O-Lineman for example.

Reaction Score
The point is, weather shmeather. Go get some recruits. Rutgers does, and their recruiting advantages over us are minimal.

Reaction Score
The point is, weather shmeather. Go get some recruits. Rutgers does, and their recruiting advantages over us are minimal.

Well if we're going to just ignore any obstacle to success then there's no reason we shouldn't go 13-0 every year and win national championships. Competition shmompetition, go win games.

For the 4th or 5th time, we can, should, and (IMO) will do better recruiting WR with the new staff. It is possible to agree that we must do better, while acknowledging why it's more difficult here than other places.

Reaction Score
Well if we're going to just ignore any obstacle to success then there's no reason we shouldn't go 13-0 every year and win national championships. Competition shmompetition, go win games.

Yeah, that's the same thing as saying "If Rutgers (Big East, Northeast, Cold weather) can recruit playmakers at WR, so can we". Nice leap.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's the same thing as saying "If Rutgers (Big East, Northeast, Cold weather) can recruit playmakers at WR, so can we". Nice leap.
And saying it's more difficult here than elsewhere is the same thing as saying "we can't recruit wide receivers". (no matter how many times and how many ways I said we can, should, and probably will do better).

Nice leap.

Reaction Score
By the way, 8 of Rutgers' 12 wide receivers come from the state of New Jersey. Think that helps them recruit WR?

and about 54 players on their team come from New Jersey. Think it makes recruiting a little bit easier when you don't have to leave your state to fill out half your roster?

Minimal recruiting advantages? Sure, ignore the fact NJ pumps out way more talent than CT as if that doesn't help Rutgers.

http://www.scarletknights.com/football/roster/roster.asp

Reaction Score
And saying it's more difficult here than elsewhere is the same thing as saying "we can't recruit wide receivers". (no matter how many times and how many ways I said we can, should, and probably will do better).

Nice leap.

Randy Edsall sucked at recruiting WR's and QB's. It did not have anything to do with the weather. He just sucked at that portion of his job.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall sucked at recruiting WR's and QB's. It did not have anything to do with the weather. He just sucked at that portion of his job.

for the THIRD TIME

Weather is a factor, but it is a small factor. It's fair to say it has a bigger impact on how well we recruit WR than OL. It's likely to be more accurate to say the prior coaching staff was the real reason we couldn't recruit WR (and QB), we'll find out in the next few recruiting classes. It's cold and snows in Cincinatti, we should be able to get a guy like Armon Binns.

Reaction Score

And we have a winner! Couldn't agree more. HCPP better be BETTER at signing playmakers. UConn's offense couldn't have been more boring this season and what's worse, at times was outscored by the defense.

Reaction Score
What a strange discussion. There's two simple facts. You need to recruit players. You need to have a system of playing the game. If your system is going to involve the passing game, you better go get players that can QB the offense, throw, and players that can run routes and catch at your level of competition. Vice versa. If you go out and recruit players that have the ability to QB the offense, throw and run routes and catch at your level fo competition, then your system better involve using them.

Since Orlovsky graduated, and until Pasqualoni showed up, there has been nothing consistent about our passing game on either fact. Recruiting players and/or having a system that adequately uses them. We've flipped and flopped between so called "desired" offensive styles, and aside from running the ball, haven't really done much well at all in the passing game for several years.

It's going to change, and we've got the people right now on the sidelines and on the field to make it happen. Got to have those scholarship athletes step up to the plate though, and get the job done.

Reaction Score
By the way, 8 of Rutgers' 12 wide receivers come from the state of New Jersey.
and about 54 players on their team come from New Jersey.
Minimal recruiting advantages? Sure, ignore the fact NJ pumps out way more talent than CT as if that doesn't help Rutgers.

http://www.scarletknights.com/football/roster/roster.asp

Tim Brown - FL
Tres Moses - FL
Kenny Britt - NJ
Tiquan Underwood - NJ
Mohammed Sanu - NJ
Mark Harrison - CT
Brandon Coleman - MD (I'm projecting a bit, but I think he's going to be very good)

I'm talking about in recent years, not just in one given season. They have consistently been putting very good receivers on the field for nearly a decade. Some of those players are from NJ, and some are not. Yes, I agree that Rutgers has a recruiting advantage over us, when it comes to landing NJ kids, but let's not pretend that all of their successful receivers are or have been from NJ.

Reaction Score
Tim Brown - FL
Tres Moses - FL
Kenny Britt - NJ
Tiquan Underwood - NJ
Mohammed Sanu - NJ
Mark Harrison - CT
Brandon Coleman - MD (I'm projecting a bit, but I think he's going to be very good)

I'm talking about in recent years, not just in one given season. They have consistently been putting very good receivers on the field for nearly a decade. Some of those players are from NJ, and some are not. Yes, I agree that Rutgers has a recruiting advantage over us, when it comes to landing NJ kids, but let's not pretend that all of their successful receivers are or have been from NJ.

No, only half.

Sounds familiar. You said something about half of WRs being from non-bcs schools earlier, what was it? ;)

Reaction Score
Tim Brown - FL
Tres Moses - FL
Kenny Britt - NJ
Tiquan Underwood - NJ
Mohammed Sanu - NJ
Mark Harrison - CT

Great point. Better recruiting on UConn's part should solve most of the dilemmas of the QB & WR positions. It's a problem that has got to be solved.

Reaction Score
Randy is that you? That is a hell of a recruiting pitch and probably what Randy told Aaron Hernandez. Just kidding. Get me a Marcus Easly type every other recruiting class and we should be good to go. Can't be that hard to find. The kid walked on for crying out loud.

This is where you can actually make a comment about statistics.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.218823,-73.013547

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member