A heartening argument for UConn fans | The Boneyard

A heartening argument for UConn fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Today Matt Norlander (LINK) wrote a piece on UConn as it related to the Louisville invitation to the ACC, and made a good point on why the ACC choose Louisville over UConn. First he argued that the SEC, B1G, and PAC12 were the power conferences, in that they pretty much get what they want when it comes to expanding their conferences. Thus the ACC is competing with the Big 12 for members, with the Big East obviously losing out to both the ACC and Big 12. So if you're the ACC and you're worried about the Big 12, it makes sense that you snag Louisville first, as they would probably seem more desirable to the Big 12 than UConn. Now that the ACC has Louisville (and that big exit fee to keep from jumping to the Big 12 if/when that offer comes), you can invite UConn later, as the Big 12 probably is not as high on UConn for geographic or football reasons.

Anyway, there is another reason to check out the article, as the picture accompanying the article shows UConn women's basketball. I thought that was pretty cool! Anyway, I hope the Huskies get invited soon, as it would clearly make the ACC the PREMIERE WCBB conference. Improve that football team and your hand will be strengthened. It's not like the ACC is very special in football anyway.

Reaction Score
The ACC can go to he**.

That's the style. The reconstituted Big East will be the best conference if it plays its cards right. Interest in it will be high as new rivalries are developed and as colleges previously perceived as 2nd rate grow in stature.

Let the BE take on the roll of "upstart" for awhile.

I here claim it would be better for UCONN to restate its commitment to the BE and to break off from its apparent lust for an ACC invite. If one comes at this point, it should be declined. UCONN should only go where it is really wanted and needed. UCONN should not be seen as needing the ACC or any other conference affiliation.

Stand firm for the Big East!

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Today Matt Norlander (LINK) wrote a piece on UConn as it related to the Louisville invitation to the ACC, and made a good point on why the ACC choose Louisville over UConn. First he argued that the SEC, B1G, and PAC12 were the power conferences, in that they pretty much get what they want when it comes to expanding their conferences. Thus the ACC is competing with the Big 12 for members, with the Big East obviously losing out to both the ACC and Big 12. So if you're the ACC and you're worried about the Big 12, it makes sense that you snag Louisville first, as they would probably seem more desirable to the Big 12 than UConn. Now that the ACC has Louisville (and that big exit fee to keep from jumping to the Big 12 if/when that offer comes), you can invite UConn later, as the Big 12 probably is not as high on UConn for geographic or football reasons.

Anyway, there is another reason to check out the article, as the picture accompanying the article shows UConn women's basketball. I thought that was pretty cool! Anyway, I hope the Huskies get invited soon, as it would clearly make the ACC the PREMIERE WCBB conference. Improve that football team and your hand will be strengthened. It's not like the ACC is very special in football anyway.

Thanks for the salve. It may make my wounds heal a little faster.

Norlander has a wise and a long perspective.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That's the style. The reconstituted Big East will be the best conference if it plays its cards right. Interest in it will be high as new rivalries are developed and as colleges previously perceived as 2nd rate grow in stature.

I here claim it would be better for UCONN to restate its commitment to the BE and to break off from its apparent lust for an ACC invite. If one comes at this point, it should be declined. UCONN should only go where it is really wanted and needed. UCONN should not be seen as needing the ACC or any other conference affiliation.

The Big East is dying a slow, painful death. UConn should jump at the first offer it gets from a power conference otherwise we're going to be treated to dreadful basketball games vs teams that were mediocre in their midmajor - or lesser!- conferences. Donor money will dry up, UConn won't be able to pay million dollar coaches salaries and UConn will slowly fade back to the pack. No thanks.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

bobby.jpg

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The Big East is dying a slow, painful death. UConn should jump at the first offer it gets from a power conference. Otherwise, we're going to be treated to dreadful basketball games vs teams that were mediocre in their midmajor - or lesser!- conferences. Donor money will dry up, UConn won't be able to pay million dollar coaches salaries and UConn will slowly fade back to the pack. No thanks.

As though the acc is a power conference? Maybe at the moment, but I think they are about to be picked apart, just as they picked apart the BE. For me, being in the acc might be good for a few years, but it won't last.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As though the acc is a power conference? Maybe at the moment, but I think they are about to be picked apart, just as they picked apart the BE. For me, being in the acc might be good for a few years, but it won't last.
No one is talking about pulling the ACC's BCS bid the way they are the Big East. No BCS bowl game, no conference payday, no money, no prestige, no viable league. Sorry, wcbb fans, everything really does hinge on football.

Reaction Score
The Big East is dying a slow, painful death. UConn should jump at the first offer it gets from a power conference. Otherwise, we're going to be treated to dreadful basketball games vs teams that were mediocre in their midmajor - or lesser!- conferences. Donor money will dry up, UConn won't be able to pay million dollar coaches salaries and UConn will slowly fade back to the pack. No thanks.

Thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated.

I see no reason why the BE should be automatically relegated to death row. It is obvious the conference, headquartered in Rhode Island, has been seriously raided by the ACC, headquarters in Greensboro NC, and picked on by the Big 12 (-2), headquartered goodness knows where. I personally would rather UCONN stay in a conference originating in the northeast, rather than the south Atlantic region that comprises the majority of ACC schools.

The BE has a challenge that it can meet and likely end up exceeding expectations. The ACC may not flourish as much as some seem to think. It may be too big for its own good.

Consider, too, that if UCONN really wants to be in the ACC, then the best way to do that will be to recommit to the BE and make it grow and do well. Doing so would more likely cause the ACC to perceive that it should covet UCONN, rather than having UCONN begging.

It is better at this juncture to root for the BE even if one is convinced of greener grass elsewhere.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Give it up, jplot, no one is buying anything you have to sell.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
BTW, I received word today that the B1G may well not be done and is still considering adding two teams. This is through the same source that shared the original Rutgers and MD story with me before it broke nationally. Let's hope he comes through again.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I see no reason why the BE should be automatically relegated to death row. It is obvious the conference, headquartered in Rhode Island, has been seriously raided by the ACC, headquarters in Greensboro NC, and picked on by the Big 12 (-2), headquartered goodness knows where. I personally would rather UCONN stay in a conference originating in the northeast, rather than the south Atlantic region that comprises the majority of ACC schools.

The BE has a challenge that it can meet and likely end up exceeding expectations. The ACCay not flourish as much as some seem to think.

Consider, too, that if UCONN really wants to be in the ACC, then the best way to do that will be to recommit to the BE and make it grow and do well. Doing so would more likely cause the ACC to perceive that it should covet ICONN, rather than having UCONN begging.

It is better at this juncture to root for the BE even if one is convinced of greener grass elsewhere.
Northeast conference? Here's a list of the teams that will be in the Big East after all the shuffling:

Boise State (Idaho)
Central Florida
Houston (Texas)
Memphis (Tennessee)
San Diego State (California)
Southern Methodist (Texas)
Tulane (Louisiana)
East Carolina
South Florida
Cincinnati (Ohio)

and the basketball schools, which will be ditched when the league splits into football schools and bball-onlies.

Providence
DePaul
Villanova
St. John's
Seton Hall
Georgetown
Marquette

Tell me which of those teams has you anxious for a good, tough basketball game? How about a watchable game?

Geez, they should rename the Big East the Directional Conference. :-(

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
BTW, I received word today that the B1G may well not be done and is still considering adding two teams. This is through the same source that shared the original Rutgers and MD story with me before it broke nationally. Let's hope he comes through again.
As long as UConn is on that list I'll be thrilled.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Ice - I'm sure the B1G is not done. I would think Virginia is first on the list. Unfortunately Uconn won't be on their list.

Reaction Score
Northeast conference? Here's a list of the teams that will be in the Big East after all the shuffling:

Boise State (Idaho)
central Florida
Houston (Texas)
Memphis (Tennessee)
Tulane (Louisiana)
East Carolina
South Florida
Cincinnati (Ohio)

and the basketball schools, which will be ditched when the league splits into football schools and bball-onlies.

Providence
DePaul
Villanova
St. John's
Seton Hall
Georgetown
Marquette

Tell me which of those teams has you anxious for a good, tough basketball game? How about a watchable game?

There us no question that the BE has been raided and forced to take on a far flung mixture of schools not in the so called big 5. The BE has responded to the raiding as best it could. UCONN appears to be the last member of the all sports schools in the conference.

There are reasons for that. UCONN only became a football member in the last few years. It hasn't yet earned a football pedigree. Let UCONN stay in the BE and hopefully dominate the newly configured conference. Maybe, just maybe, UCONN can not only improve its football reputation by being a consistent winner in the new league, it could also serve as the leader of the new conference, elevating the new members as well.

The opportunity to do something like that is plainly available. All UCONN has to do is stop begging and start building the BE.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
The ACC may not flourish as much as some seem to think. It may be too big for its own good.

Too big for its own good? It seems we are headed for 4 superconferences with 16 members each. The SEC, PAC12 and B1G would have to increase slightly and then the 4th superconference will probably come from the ACC or the Big12. If so, the ACC is not too big, and would actually have to increase slightly. Assuming Notre Dame becomes a member, they would need one more school, and I think UConn would be a great choice. Isn't the ACC a better fit for UConn than the SEC, B1G, PAC12, and Big 12? But I agree that UConn should join whichever big 5 conference asks first.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
No one is talking about pulling the ACC out of the BCS pool the way they are the Big East. No BCS bowl game, no conference payday, no money, no prestige, no viable league. Sorry, wcbb fans, everything really does hinge on football.
Maybe not yet they aren't.. But after they become a shell of a football conference, after the B1G, SEC and B12 are done raiding them in order to become 3 of the 4 power conferences, they will share the same fate that they have bestowed upon the BE.

Reaction Score

The BE has a challenge that it can meet and likely end up exceeding expectations. The ACC may not flourish as much as some seem to think. It may be too big for its own good.

Consider, too, that if UCONN really wants to be in the ACC, then the best way to do that will be to recommit to the BE and make it grow and do well. Doing so would more likely cause the ACC to perceive that it should covet UCONN, rather than having UCONN begging.

This is beyond silly.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Boise State (Idaho)
central Florida
Houston (Texas)
Memphis (Tennessee)
Tulane (Louisiana)
East Carolina
South Florida
Cincinnati (Ohio)

Providence
DePaul
Villanova
St. John's
Seton Hall
Georgetown
Marquette

HOw about "the lack of directional conference"?

Reaction Score
agreed. There is a sad lack of nuance here. I was young once, too, and very idealistic. **sigh**

Agreed. The argument seems to be that UConn should help the Big East grow because it is headquartered in Providence. First, how do you make it grow and prosper? Start hijacking teams at gunpoint? And second, the Big East now is headquartered in a city whose only tie to quality basketball happened decades ago and is tied to Dave Gavitt, Ernie DeGregorio and, heaven help us, Marvin Barnes. The average sports fan in Rhode Island would not recognize quality women's basketball if i hit them in the nose.

UConn is in the position of being the last kid chosen in the playground game. Staying in the Big East will eventually amount to recruiting suicide -- not now, not in a year or two, but 3-5 years down the road, as the comparative league strengths (Big East vs. Big 10 vs. ACC) sinks in with recruits and those who influence them.

Those who have hated UConn women's basketball and Geno all these years may finally see their dreams come true.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Exactly, TC, it isn't about how staying in the Big East affects recruiting now but is instead about the slow steady deterioration 5 years from now and beyond.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I am reminded of the Man of La Mancha....Don Quixote. Where is the nearest windmill?

Reaction Score
You are in good company, jplotinus. It took Captain Edward J Smith a while to realize the Titanic was really going to sink. Feel free to stubbornly cling to the BE wheel. I prefer to look at jumping into the first available life raft. Any ship in the storm except the one already taking on water and doomed to the depths of college athletic obscurity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom