"...a great jump-ball play..." | The Boneyard

"...a great jump-ball play..."

Reaction Score
“We missed shots and we weren’t playing defense the way we want to play,” said Ollie. “We had a great jump-ball play, didn’t execute the play. Had a turnover, then they shot a 3. You have to do a better job going over our scouting reports and taking care of the basketball.”​

You have got to be kidding. How many times a game do you you get to execute that? This is beyond ridiculous. How about creating something for in-bounds plays?

Reaction Score
I find KOs post-game analysis to actually be disturbing at this point. He basically states the same thing each week in regards to us not executing or following the game plan/scouting report. That would seem to indicate that he has totally lost the players, no? And then, seriously, a "jump-ball play"? We did that when we were 9 and we had the tallest kid.

Reaction Score
“We missed shots and we weren’t playing defense the way we want to play,” said Ollie. “We had a great jump-ball play, didn’t execute the play. Had a turnover, then they shot a 3. You have to do a better job going over our scouting reports and taking care of the basketball.”​

You have got to be kidding. How many times a game do you you get to execute that? This is beyond ridiculous. How about creating something for in-bounds plays?

Very fair even though I haven't heard it. I mean can we once get a lay up or open jumper off the initial pass in bounds?

pj

Reaction Score
KO may just not be smart enough to think creatively how to get the strongest team out of his players. He may need that X's and O's strategist, a George Blaney type right hand man, to run the offense. It looks like his team is strong in recruiting with Chillious and Killings. But he seems weak in some key aspects. It's too bad the assistant coaches are limited to three, he could use a few more.

If Alterique is out, then it seems his hand is forced -- Jalen at point guard 35+ mpg, Larrier at the 3 35+ mpg, Vital and Anderson sharing 50 minutes with maybe Polley stepping up to grab a few perimeter minutes, then develop Whaley/Carlton/Diarra/Cobb as an interior rotation, of which it seems to me Whaley is the only natural power forward, maybe Kwintin can step up and grab some minutes at the four but given his academic troubles maybe he'll be slow to pick up defense. I don't see Onuorah as good enough to merit taking time away from the developing young guys.

With the Adams-Vital-Larrier-Whaley or Diarra-Cobb and Carlton lineup, I like the offensive strategy of Larrier running the perimeter of screens to get open looks from three and Jalen the creator finding him and Vital on the perimeter or big guys cutting to the basket after screens. It's a little old fashioned and not hard to defend since everything is so predictable, but it plays to the strengths of the only lineup we have. Larrier is tall enough he should be able to get his shot off from 3 more often than not, if Vital can knock them down to that might open some space for Jalen and the bigs to operate inside, then we need Jalen to have a mid-range pull-up game so that the bigs have space to get close to the rim where they can hope to finish after receiving a pass. It would help a lot if the bigs could knock down 10-15 footers, but I don't think we have that big.

Defense has to be this team's calling card. Perimeter defense better be outstanding because the interior defenders don't have the length or experience to be great. There's no excuse for letting three point shooters go off. Don't know what KO is doing to teach and motivate defensive effort but he needs to do it better.

Reaction Score

Leave it to KO to home in, laser-like, on the true problem. In fairness, UConn trailed in the game 8-0 before they were aware that the ball had been jumped up. Once they caught on, they outscored Coppin by a decent 72-51.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Forget the jump ball play. What he said after rings true. “You have to do a better job of going over the scouting reports and taking care of the basketball.” Thats this team in a nutshell. Against Coppin, defend the 3, don’t leave your man to help your 6’9” center defend their 6’6” forward. But they did it. Probably a dozen times. And they do the same thing every single game. On offense they are sloppy as hell. Lazy passes, bad passes, dribbling into traffic, and sometimes just clumsy looking (Larrier losing the ball out bounds all by himself).

I don’t think athletic talent is our problem. We are terrible at the mental aspects of the game. They came in last night assuming they could play pick-up basketball and beat Coppin State.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you actually did have a great jump ball play, why would you waste it on the worst team in the country?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Was he talking about the opening tip or one of the "jump ball" tie ups?

Reaction Score

It is open season here.

Criticizing him for having designed a play. Questioning his intelligence, not smart enough to draw up plays!

Reaction Score
Ollie tends to like to start games off with a lob dunk off a set play. He did it a ton with Brimah and Shonn Miller. I imagine that's what he was looking for here. Sounds like a good call to me, as it addresses two of our biggest problems: lack of energy from the tip and getting the bigs involved on offense.

To instead end up with a turnover and an open 3 (two of our other biggest problems) is definitely frustrating.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People complain about slow starts, he has a play drawn up to probably get a dunk on the first play and set the tone, people complain he has a play drawn up for the tip

Yes, it's absurd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom