A good Mid Season Lesson | The Boneyard

A good Mid Season Lesson

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Reading all the threads and you all didnt miss a thing. Some posts of frustration and many spot on with what went wrong. UConn got a lesson last nite and we will learn from it. There needs to be changes . We lost to Baylor because we had 3 inexperienced players shoot 1/14 and last nite we lost because we had experienced players we need to count on shoot something like 5/29. Aint gonna win shooting like that.

As good as Oregon played last nite UConn played that poorly. I was thinking how did Oregon lose 2 games watching them execute to a tee. With that said Oregon played a great game last nite. Its been mentioned that why doesnt Anna get the ball more??????? Wake up UConn and our Big 3 need to share the ball more. Thats why our assists are down. Anna and Liv have come along way and need more touches I remember years ago UConn was out in Cal in the Regionals and got clobbered by I think it was LSU. The learned from that . This team needs self confidence poise and must be able to trust their team mates. The only way UConn will get better is to trust each other and sharing the ball will do that. You cant have Liv and Anna standing around watching everybody else shoot the ball. They need to be involved. You learn from your mistakes and we learned alot last nite.

We are not as bad as we looked last nite. Oregon played great and it looked like we had players start the game, not knowing what to do. They looked like they were intimidated. Rushed shots which turned into shooting unconfident shots. We will see what happens MOnday at SC. Megan and CW need to step up. Anna and Liv need more touches and need their team mates to penetrate and kick it out to them. When CW hit the first shot of the game I felt we were gonna be ok then it all fell apart.

Last nite we were not the team we were against Team USA or the team we were against Baylor. Last nite was a nitemare and we need to push aside, learn from it and live with it. We need to move forward and not dwell on what we did wrong. We need to move forward and think about what we need to do to beat SC.

Reaction Score
Forget South Carolina, we have a game Friday night that's going to be tough. Could another long streak come to an end? This team seems good at breaking them, so it's not out of the question.

Reaction Score
Wake up UConn and our Big 3 need to share the ball more.
Exactly .. it's a TEAM game and there is no so-called 'Big Three', at least not anymore

Reaction Score
I agree. Thinking big 3 or even Core Four is history. We have five really good players—Meg, Crystal, Liv, Christyn, and Anna plus a wild thing in Aubrey. If they are all playing their best, it’s a superb team. If one is off their game, we are still very good. If two fail to produce, we can still beat 90% of the teams out there.

Reaction Score
Dokey I was going to post exactly what you said! Amen!! Hope Anna starts with Aubrey and Kyla off the bench. Evelyn too. She impressed me the last couple of minutes she earned. I’d like Geno to play her a little bit more on Friday! She might just surprise us!
Pass the ball more to the open player Ladies!
Can’t wait for Friday!

Reaction Score
I would have to take in account the fact that Chrystyn was not healthy and Megan missed several open shots. Oregon killed them in the bounce pass to a cutter to the hoop several times in this game. We just didn't play UCONN basketball overall.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UConn has looked bad during this season even against weaker teams. Look at how they looked in the second half against DePaul. UConn has struggled against mediocre teams so I was not surprised at how they looked last night. However, maybe they will start to peak in the coming weeks. Recently when they lost (with exception) it was during the NCAA Tournament and had no chance to recover. They still have time this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reading all the threads and you all didnt miss a thing. Some posts of frustration and many spot on with what went wrong. UConn got a lesson last nite and we will learn from it. There needs to be changes . We lost to Baylor because we had 3 inexperienced players shoot 1/14 and last nite we lost because we had experienced players we need to count on shoot something like 5/29. Aint gonna win shooting like that.

As good as Oregon played last nite UConn played that poorly. I was thinking how did Oregon lose 2 games watching them execute to a tee. With that said Oregon played a great game last nite. Its been mentioned that why doesnt Anna get the ball more??????? Wake up UConn and our Big 3 need to share the ball more. Thats why our assists are down. Anna and Liv have come along way and need more touches I remember years ago UConn was out in Cal in the Regionals and got clobbered by I think it was LSU. The learned from that . This team needs self confidence poise and must be able to trust their team mates. The only way UConn will get better is to trust each other and sharing the ball will do that. You cant have Liv and Anna standing around watching everybody else shoot the ball. They need to be involved. You learn from your mistakes and we learned alot last nite.

We are not as bad as we looked last nite. Oregon played great and it looked like we had players start the game, not knowing what to do. They looked like they were intimidated. Rushed shots which turned into shooting unconfident shots. We will see what happens MOnday at SC. Megan and CW need to step up. Anna and Liv need more touches and need their team mates to penetrate and kick it out to them. When CW hit the first shot of the game I felt we were gonna be ok then it all fell apart.

Last nite we were not the team we were against Team USA or the team we were against Baylor. Last nite was a nitemare and we need to push aside, learn from it and live with it. We need to move forward and not dwell on what we did wrong. We need to move forward and think about what we need to do to beat SC.
I disagree, to a point. The USA " game" was nothing more than an exhibition. And I don't see how anything was learned from that. Did we learn that those pros are getter than our players? Was that the lesson? In Monday's loss, I think we played very much as we did against Baylor. The difference is that Oregon has more assets, and executed really well against us.

We all hope " we learned something from the Oregon loss," but what are we talking about? We learned that our shooters have to make their shots? We learned that Aubrey has to figure out a way to finish her lay-ups, and make foul shots? It takes the Oregon game to learn that? What is there to learn? Maybe to let Olivia play until she fouls, out, whenever that comes? You suggest that " what we learned" will ( hopefully ) all show up against the Gamecocks. I hope you are right. Maybe then, I'll understand what we did learn. But I think SC will beat us start to finish, just as Oregon did. What we are learning, is that we are far less competitive than we hoped.

Reaction Score

I am glad you are positive. It is uplifting. However, I would comment that this team played the same as they have in every game of this season. They just had their asses handed to them by an Oregon Team that played outstanding UConn style basketball against a disjointed UConn Team. I swear, that if it wasn't for the color of the uniforms, Oregon played ball like the UConn teams of 2 to 4 years ago. Ball movement; communication; execution; defense; and rebounding.

You are correct. The Team needs to learn from this. Big Time. You have asked great questions which get down to the core of the problem: play like a team; ball movement, communication, execution, defense, and rebounding. Pass the ball at least 3 times to find the open player. When they could not score inside, they just gave the ball to someone who they thought could make a 3. Then it was too late. So many unforced errors and turnovers. This has been the performance from the beginning of the season. They have won because they have played inferior teams. They will probably win the American and get the bid to go to the tournament. They will probably will win the first 2 games, but after that it's anybody's guess. They have 3 weeks to learn how to play UConn basketball. I wonder if that is enough?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I disagree, to a point. The USA " game" was nothing more than an exhibition. And I don't see how anything was learned from that. Did we learn that those pros are getter than our players? Was that the lesson? In Monday's loss, I think we played very much as we did against Baylor. The difference is that Oregon has more assets, and executed really well against us.

We all hope " we learned something from the Oregon loss," but what are we talking about? We learned that our shooters have to make their shots? We learned that Aubrey has to figure out a way to finish her lay-ups, and make foul shots? It takes the Oregon game to learn that? What is there to learn? Maybe to let Olivia play until she fouls, out, whenever that comes? You suggest that " what we learned" will ( hopefully ) all show up against the Gamecocks. I hope you are right. Maybe then, I'll understand what we did learn. But I think SC will beat us start to finish, just as Oregon did. What we are learning, is that we are far less competitive than we hoped.

For me, when we talk about learning after a tough loss, it is much more on the coaching staff than the players. Yes, players getting pissed after a loss and trying to independently get better is important but far more important is having the coaching staff learn what does and does not work with the players they have (since Stewie is not available), what combinations are best under tough circumstances etc. The OR and SC games are like going to graduate school for the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Just one more ride on the roller coaster as I commented a few weeks back. I will ride in support of UCONN Womens Basketball as long as I am still breathing. Go UCONN!!!
:D:cool:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yup. Remember the year we lost to (gasp) Harry's Kids? I think there was some jumping from tall buildings. I also seem to remember that we won the NC that year, but my memory could be faulty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom