A Glimpse at Piath | The Boneyard

A Glimpse at Piath

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Unlike our other freshmen, there isn’t a lot of video on Piath, so I was excited when this showed up on IG today. She is much trimmer than I expected and will benefit greatly from CD and Jamelle’s post tutelage.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Obviously the defense she was going against was soft, but she has good fundamentals, has some solid post moves, can use both hands for layups - what's not to like? The fact that she seems equally comfortable pivoting both ways using both hands to not only dribble, but make layups is a great sign for a solid base of skills to work from.

I'm not saying she will contribute right away. I think the college game will be far too fast for her early on. But once she's able to acclimate, I think she could be a solid to very good contributor. Seemingly lots of good things for the staff to work with.

Add to that her tremendous attitude (from what we've read), and I'm excited for her future at UCONN!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Obviously the defense she was going against was soft, but she has good fundamentals, has some solid post moves, can use both hands for layups - what's not to like? The fact that she seems equally comfortable pivoting both ways using both hands to not only dribble, but make layups is a great sign for a solid base of skills to work from.

I'm not saying she will contribute right away. I think the college game will be far too fast for her early on. But once she's able to acclimate, I think she could be a solid to very good contributor. Seemingly lots of good things for the staff to work with.

Add to that her tremendous attitude (from what we've read), and I'm excited for her future at UCONN!

Eric, in addition to the observations you've made, she'll also provide a player of equal size for ONO to go against in practice daily. THAT alone will pay dividends for both of them early on this season. As you mentioned, she is not accustomed to playing against a player of ONO's size and skill. That said, it will be nice to have some additional height on the bench this year. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unlike our other freshmen, there isn’t a lot of video on Piath, so I was excited when this showed up on IG today. She is much trimmer than I expected and will benefit greatly from CD and Jamelle’s post tutelage.

Hoping for a dunk at the end...

Reaction Score

It doesn't look like she will be knocked off her finish to the hoop. Good form on the spot of J. Maybe a good high low with Liv. Wow excited for the girls but still holding my breath about a season.

Reaction Score
Based on her release point a 5'6" player may block her outside shot. Caroline Ducharme ran rings around her during the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of all freshmen in this year’s class, Piath is the most intriguing. Yes she’s a project, and it will certainly take time for her game to develop. But you can’t teach size, and Piath is both big and strong. In a limited amount of film, she’s demonstrated good footwork and the ability to run the court.

She also comes from a tall, athletic family that was given a wonderful opportunity after escaping war-torn Sudan for a chance at a new life in the US. I expect Piath will work incredibly hard to reach her potential. I for one will be pulling for her all the way.

Reaction Score
Well, the vid tells us that she can make uncontested shots and layups (with both hands!), except for the misses edited out. All at a very leasurely tempo. Not much to go on to figure out what skills she will be bringing to Storrs. Her first couple of practices will tell a lot more.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
After watching this clip, I liked her footwork and that she remained centered and balanced. Her hands seem soft, but she appears to juggle the ball as she handles the ball low in the palm Definitely a project. I would not be surprised to see her have a tremendous sophomore bump and begin to dominate by her Junior year. It's going to be a lot of fun watching her grow into a superior player.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Of all freshmen in this year’s class, Piath is the most intriguing. Yes she’s a project, and it will certainly take time for her game to develop. But you can’t teach size, and Piath is both big and strong. In a limited amount of film, she’s demonstrated good footwork and the ability to run the court.

She also comes from a tall, athletic family that was given a wonderful opportunity after escaping war-torn Sudan for a chance at a new life in the US. I expect Piath will work incredibly hard to reach her potential. I for one will be pulling for her all the way.

Slide over OD, I'll join you. ;)

Reaction Score
Based on her release point a 5'6" player may block her outside shot. Caroline Ducharme ran rings around her during the season.
As she should. Different position and skill set. Plus CD 4 is our ringer!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Okay EricLA, if she uses both hands when she dribbles, she will be called for a double dribble.:rolleyes: However, she does use either hand.;)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I suspect Gabriel's growth in the first year is crucial, whether or not there are games to test her. Next year DeBerry comes in while ONO is still here. The year after Brady comes in to join DeBerry. Auriemma could tap either one or both of those players for minutes Gabriel otherwise might get. The more she develops this year, the less her development may be compromised by the make up of the roster in other years.

This is something seldom factored into player comparisons. Timing matters. For example, Taurasi did not even get BE FOY even though Bird was calling her the best player on the squad even as freshman; she was not shafted, Brunson was much more important to Georgetown that freshman year. Conlon got a chance to shine that would not have happened if she was joining this current squad. Timing/context is everything.

Reaction Score

Still twice as wide as ONO in a good way....

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Everyone knew that Piath Gabriel was going to be a project but at 6'5' we can afford a couple of developmental years. Bigs notoriously blossom late...and with Daly and Jamelle putting her through the paces...I suspect Piath is going to develop into quite a force under the basket.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The good news is that In order to play meaningful minutes, Piath doesn’t need to develop a great handle or be able to knock down perimeter jump shots. She needs to work on her footwork, defensive positioning and rebounding, to the point where she can be effective in the paint, not as a 30+ mpg player, but initially as a true BIG who can contribute 5-10 mpg off the bench.

One other thing that would be nice. Maybe Geno can get Stef to spend some time with Piath to teach her how to set a pick..... :cool:

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The good news is that In order to play meaningful minutes, Piath doesn’t need to develop a great handle or be able to knock down perimeter jump shots. She needs to work on her footwork, defensive positioning and rebounding, to the point where she can be effective in the paint, not as a 30+ mpg player, but initially as a true BIG who can contribute 5-10 mpg off the bench.

One other thing that would be nice. Maybe Geno can get Steph to spend some time with Piath to teach her how to set a pick..... :cool:

Could not figure out how Steph Curry was going to help with a pick. :oops::oops::oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom