A Glimpse at Piath | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Glimpse at Piath

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I suspect Gabriel's growth in the first year is crucial, whether or not there are games to test her. Next year DeBerry comes in while ONO is still here. The year after Brady comes in to join DeBerry. Auriemma could tap either one or both of those players for minutes Gabriel otherwise might get. The more she develops this year, the less her development may be compromised by the make up of the roster in other years.
This is something seldom factored into player comparisons. Timing matters. For example, Taurasi did not even get BE FOY even though Bird was calling her the best player on the squad even as freshman; she was not shafted, Brunson was much more important to Georgetown that freshman year. Conlon got a chance to shine that would not have happened if she was joining this current squad. Timing/context is everything.
I think you have this one nailed. Her best opportunity comes this season if there is going to be a season. At a minimum Piath needs to be ONO backup and capable of spelling her 7 minutes per game. BTW. Stewie was not named BE or National freshman of the year in a season when she was FF Most Outstanding player and NCAA champion. That distinction went to Jewell Loyd.

Reaction Score
Based on her release point a 5'6" player may block her outside shot. Caroline Ducharme ran rings around her during the season.
Do you doubt for one moment that the coaches will work with her to raise her release point? They certainly have lots of experience doing so with other players. A low release point is common for players who tower above everyone in highschool.

Reaction Score
Do you doubt for one moment that the coaches will work with her to raise her release point? They certainly have lots of experience doing so with other players. A low release point is common for players who tower above everyone in highschool.
Pretty sure she won’t be shooting from more than 2-3’ from the basket. And I’m much more interested in her defense and rebounding. She will not have much of a role offensively.

Reaction Score

I don't remember the last time I see Uconn staff fixing a player shooting form. When Pheesa got to the Lynx, their assistant coach fixed her shooting form and said that they cannot believe she was able to shoot before with any consistency.

Reaction Score
I don't remember the last time I see Uconn staff fixing a player shooting form. When Pheesa got to the Lynx, their assistant coach fixed her shooting form and said that they cannot believe she was able to shoot before with any consistency.
Olivia comes to mind. She, like several posts before her, had a bad habit of bringing the ball down after rebounding and before going back up. Not the same thing as changing release point, but same general principle. Re Pheesa, she and Alex began changing her shot after her junior year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Olivia comes to mind. She, like several posts before her, had a bad habit of bringing the ball down after rebounding and before going back up. Not the same thing as changing release point, but same general principle. Re Pheesa, she and Alex began changing her shot after her junior year.
Natalie Butler did the same thing at first until the coaches worked with her to change that habit.

Reaction Score
If you watch DeBerry I really like it when she catches the ball high, it stays high and she shoots at the pinnacle of her reach. Liv still brings the ball down and it gets slapped away. Hope to see an improvement this year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you watch DeBerry I really like it when she catches the ball high, it stays high and she shoots at the pinnacle of her reach. Liv still brings the ball down and it gets slapped away. Hope to see an improvement this year.
DeBerry has been well schooled in AAU by the same coaches that worked with Laura Harper, Crystal Langhorne and Stewie. Amari has also benefited from two years of USA basketball trials where the instruction is supurb. Piath did not have the benefit of any of that. I have no doubt the UCONN staff will work with Piath and she will improve. Keep in mind that the staff also has 5 other new players that need to be integrated into the team this year.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Natalie Butler did the same thing at first until the coaches worked with her to change that habit.
I don't remember this being an issue with Natalie Butler. Keeping the ball high above her head and snapping the two handed outlet pass to start the break was among Natalie's best strengths. Although she did have a thumb injury at the start of her UCONN eligibility.
1596029820537.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't remember this being an issue with Natalie Butler. Keeping the ball high above her head and snapping the two handed outlet pass to start the break was among Natalie's best strengths. Although she did have a thumb injury at the start of her UCONN eligibility.
View attachment 57070
If you take a look at Nat’s play her 1st year actually playing at UConn in offense, she would get a rebound or receive an entry pass, bring it down to her waist, then set herself, and seemingly take forever to put it back up again. In the meantime, opposing defenders would swarm on her, tie her up or strip the ball from her. It used to drive me crazy when 5’8” guards could tie her up under the basket.

During her last year at UConn, Nat no longer brought the ball down to her waist. Geno, CD and the staff worked with her to break the habit. As a result, she would secure a rebound and keep the ball high above her head as all Bigs are taught.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you take a look at Nat’s play her 1st year actually playing at UConn in offense, she would get a rebound or receive an entry pass, bring it down to her waist, then set herself, and seemingly take forever to put it back up again. In the meantime, opposing defenders would swarm on her, tie her up or strip the ball from her. It used to drive me crazy when 5’8” guards could tie her up under the basket.

During her last year at UConn, Nat no longer brought the ball down to her waist. Geno, CD and the staff worked with her to break the habit. As a result, she would secure a rebound and keep the ball high above her head as all Bigs are taught.
I did take a look at Natalie's play. Her debut was against Cincinnati and as I mention before she was still recovering from the thumb injury (thumb was bandaged). Despite the injured thumb she consistently held the ball above her head. Natalie did not play in many competitive games for the remainder of that season and I don't doubt she had an occasional lapse of bringing the ball down to her waist. Generally speaking though this (bringing the ball to her waist) was not a habit of Natalie before or at UCONN. The UCONN game replays from this time verify this and there is also film from her 1 year at Georgetown which also verify. If this were a bad habit it would have been corrected by the staff in the year Natalie was sitting out after transferring from Georgetown. The UCONN staff would not have wait until 2 years after she had been at UCONN to correct it. The way Natalie held the ball above her head is what every coach teaches bigs to play and notice she was doing this at Georgetown.

1596033143845.png

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that Kara Walters was a 6'7" project when she came to Storrs and became
an all-american her senior year.

Not saying that will happen for Piath, but on the odd occasion, the ugly duckling does
turn out to be a swan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom