A game like this is just what the doctor ordered! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A game like this is just what the doctor ordered!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
bs! You had bonehead plays and shots from several players and thats out of DH control. RJ and Gaff had 8 turnovers between them.
When a team is up 13-15 and blows it, it’s always on the coach. There were MULTIPLE possessions down the stretch in regulation where we were bleeding and he either didn’t draw up a play or had a less than optimal line up in there.

Reaction Score
Character-building win. Survived the blown leads and gutted out a game we sorely needed vs. a top-20 P5 team. Extra props to Cole, Sanogo and Polley for coming up big when we needed it. Overall we should have finished them in regulation - gotta know how to close out games against teams like this if we want to be as good as we think we can be.

What matters is we got the win. And that was a serious battle. Get the kids some rest and get ready for Michigan State tomorrow at noon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My wife came in to watch the 2nd OT with me. Quote: "Watching you scream at the TV makes so much more sense when I'm watching this with you than listening to you scream when I'm in the other room."

I had my only real outburst of the game when Whaley fouled on that three at the very end and I screamed "what the duck are you doing?!" My wife's office is next to the room I was watching the game in, she was on a work call, and now I'm getting the silent treatment (which is not always the worst thing).

Reaction Score
Character-building win. Survived the blown leads and gutted out a game we sorely needed vs. a top-20 P5 team. Extra props to Cole, Sanogo and Polley for coming up big when we needed it. That was a battle.

Get the kids some rest and get ready for Michigan State tomorrow at noon.
Props to Hawkins who hit some big shots throughout that kept us from stagnating on offense.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Bonus was the fruit had to wait.

Reaction Score
That game was exactly what this team needed. They stood toe to toe with a tough Auburn team that never backed down. Neither team backed down what a battle! Sanogo was clearly the man but I just admire Jordan Hawkins game this kid has a great future. Great job today boys! Let's take this momentum to Michigan State!

Reaction Score
Both Gaffney and Jackson looked utterly lost having to play against real opposition. Hopefully it was just one game for each, but we'll see.
And people wonder why i wasnt jumping on the Gaff bandwagon. Hes been doing the same thing for the last two years. Plays well early then disappears when it matters. To be fair though he did make some plays today so he at least he didnt disappear. He wasnt very good though. Ajax looked lost again. He better step up because Hawkins is only going to get better and better. That kid stepped up big time against a good team in a big game in a big spot. That kid is big time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Another ball handler needs to step up quick or a deep run is out of the question. The second Auburn started pressing they turned the table.

Really could have used Jackson to catch the inbound pass and pass over the double or jump and pass over the double. Cole and Gaff are too small and not quick enough to get free or get out of the double. Also, what happened to gym class where you just bounce it off the dudes knee and reset? (And yes, I know you don't get to run the baseline after doing that).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
RJ played 47 minutes. Not optimal.

Well, less optimal tonight was playing Gaff. Gaff and Cole weren't as good together tonight as they had been earlier in the season but Gaff by himself was horrendous today.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Auburn is an incredibly athletic team, reminded me of a bigger and stronger version of SJU. I think we'll learn a lot and improve from this challenge. Very proud of our guys.

I kept thinking the full court pressure was good film to learn to improve before SJU.

Reaction Score
The good thing about this game, is that it proves we can be beat. The best thing about this game is that we proved it by winning.

Very valuable lesson learned early on.

Reaction Score
Another ball handler needs to step up quick or a deep run is out of the question. The second Auburn started pressing they turned the table.
Yep ....
RJ played 47 minutes. Not optimal.
Yep ....
These and we / UConn have to watch a lot of this film on inbound plays and playing under pressure. A valuable win with also some lessons to be learned for down the road.

Reaction Score
Honestly that game felt like last season all over again. Control the game for long stretches, build a good sized lead, and then cough it up with an inability to score or get stops and a barrage of head-scratching turnovers, a loss of composure, and a disappearing coach.

I figured it was done when Cole and Whaley got out-hustled at the opening tip of overtime and Auburn promptly hit a three.

Then I really figured it was done when Hawkins coughed up the ball changing hands - a day after someone on here said he was the best they'd ever seen at protecting the ball - or when Jackson got that rebound that would have allowed us to stretch the lead out to two possessions and gave it away.

I'm still not sure how they won but it was a just result because I do believe they were the better team.

Cole is so important to this team. Not sure what they do if he is ever unavailable.

Sanogo was a monster in the first half, not very good (in my opinion) in the second half, and then turned it on again in the extra sessions.

Polley was huge. Those threes in the first half righted the ship and he was obviously massive down the stretch.

Whaley played an absolutely spectacular game on the defensive end. He rushed the shot at the end of regulation and obviously committed a brutal foul on that three but what a defensive impact.

Martin was okay. Got some big buckets but looked a little bit like the guy who bullies weaker teams today.

Jackson was not good. Akok was not a factor. Gaffney was not good.

Hawkins is going to be a problem. Excited to see how much better he gets, but he is instant offense.

Walker Kessler seemed freakishly tall (but not all that great). Obviously Jabari Smith is going to be a hell of a player, but the kid I really loved is the fat point guard, Johnson. What a stud, love that kid's game.

All in all it's hard to complain about a tourney win over a ranked team. This team can definitely be really good.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Pork chop and both had the swoons after that game but good gravy that was fun

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member