A Few Thoughts on the State of the Program | The Boneyard

A Few Thoughts on the State of the Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wish I could say I'm surprised to hear all the panicking and calling for Pasqualoni's head after a win, but the truth is, any fan base who cares is going to get upset by things like a 7 point win at home against Buffalo.

But hey, at least we didn't lose to Youngstown State. So here's a few of my thoughts about the direction our program is heading:

1. It's adorable how many names we throw around as replacements for Pasqualoni. I'm sorry, but as much as you might think Petrino is just gonna walk in that door and wanna coach here, this isn't exactly an attractive coaching job. Poor recruiting territory. Very brief history. Conference instability (and I'm being generous). Fickle fan base that doesn't pack the stadium.

It's easy to imagine a world where there's a ton of head coach candidates with better, more innovative coaching techniques than Pasqualoni, but I see very little evidence of this.

2. While the offensive playcalling leaves a little to be desired, I think we're severely underestimating the talent gap between this program now and this program two years ago. You don't replace guys like Zach Hurd, Jordan Todman, Kendall Reyes, Tywon Martin, Mike Ryan, etc. overnight.

We all used to complain about Edsall's lame playcalling, but with our O-line and Todman, it worked. We gained yards. It wasn't pretty, but it won ballgames. We can't know with any degree of certainty how much of this is offense philosophy and how much of this is simple lack of offensive talent and lack of trust in our O-line to give Whitmer time to throw, receivers time to pass, etc.

Yeah, it sucks how many 1st down runs we call. But maybe P believes we absolutely HAVE to have a running game, and that means live snaps against live teams. Especially against teams like Buffalo where you can afford to stay vanilla and get your O-line some more practice.

3. I understand it wasn't the most impressive performance, but some people really need to step off the ledge. We're 3-2. It hasn't always been pretty. But as far as I can tell, they haven't canceled the season yet. And I see a team that can certainly win 6 games. Maybe more. Who knows.

But the nonstop negativity and complaining is just ridiculous sometimes. I know all fan bases do this. I know it's an internet message board and that's what fans do. But people act like we're BC. We're not. And if you want to continue to be better than BC, you gotta support your program, through thick and thin. And that means recruiting more fans. Selling the program to the state. Not crying every time we don't cover the spread.

At the end of the day, a win's a win. It might not be pretty, but I'll take it. I'll take the optimism of seeing Whitmer making slightly better decisions. Receivers getting slightly better separation. A team emotionally recovering from a terrible start to win. A coach finally starting to give other running backs a look.

And as much as people want to act like the rest of the Big East is so terribly great, I see a whole lot of inconsistency and a whole lot of opportunities to steal a win here and there. This season ain't over yet, so let's stop acting like it is.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
...but the truth is, any fan base who cares is going to get upset by things like a 7 point win at home against Buffalo.
At the end of the day, a win's a win. It might not be pretty, but I'll take it.
I like most of what you wrote, Loop. A little confused that these two lines seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum.

The analogy that came to mind is (and maybe it's not perfect)... but you are describing us as the so-so looking broad with a nice personality who's always there for you. At the end of the day, she's your girl. And there's something to be said for that. It's better than not having a girl.

But wouldn't it be nice to be banging a 10?

Looks do count in life and football.

I'll be at every game at the Rent, and some beyond, but yesterday was a total snoozer. Most of our games this season have been snoozers. We have no pulse. Season ain't over though, and I'd rather win ugly than lose... but I'd also rather win with some passion and excitement than either of those. It's tough to convert CT's masses to follow this team with games that boring.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Why not do both at the same time?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Well said. What I keep taking away is that we seem to be playing to the game conditions a lot. Trailing by a lot against W Michigan, we opened things up, aired it out and scored some points. Against Buffalo, we got the lead and then basically shut things down expecting our defense to hold up (which I suppose it did at the end of the day).

I see us being competitive in pretty much every Big East game with the potential exception of Cincinnati (for some reason Munchie and their DL scares me a lot). I would think we're favored to win against Syracuse, Temple and Pitt. To me, South Florida will be opportunity to get to 7 wins which, in my mind, is definite improvement over last year.

Reaction Score
Here's for me a telling bit of information, and why I am not feeling so hot about the current state of our staff...

Between 2004 and 2010 in games against non-AQ FBS programs, Randy Edsall led teams went 12-2 with a lot of big blowouts. And a lot of those games were with Bones, DJ, and post injury Lorenzen at QB.

In the last 2 seasons, we have gone 2-2 against the same level of competition, and have looked awfully pedestrian in the two wins.

This isn't meant as a positive post about our past coach, but his teams did what they were supposed to do when facing inferior competition. They curb stomped them.

I feel like the current staff, be it with schemes, coaching, or play-calling, are causing the team to play to the level of competition and not forcing their will upon them. I can't believe that we suddenly have mid-MAC level talent.

And, by the way, I think this team can be quite successful with a few tweaks in the offensive scheme. All is not lost, but PP and GD have to be open to change what isn't working.

Reaction Score
Play calling was a problem. The running on first down was to easy and taking the foot off the gas while only being up 17 was also a mistake. Score another td and then you can do it.

We were successful throwing the ball yesterday and rewatching the game this morning one of the announcers mentioned confidence. I think we may have found it.

We dominated this game for 2.5 quarters and we need to do it for all 4. If you want to win you play to win. Enough of this play not to lose crap.

On buffalo: they took risks. Trick plays. Long passes. And a qb who ran all over us. They played to win, but we had more talent.

Reaction Score
Loop - must be the time zone difference that adds some logic. Well stated.

... And we still have the chance to potentially play 3 top 25 programs (Cincy, Louisville and Snookie) in our league before the end of the season. I think next week is our is Rubicon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think the talent gap between the 2012 and 2010 is that big at all. The 2010 team wasn't that good, it just played a really easy schedule.

Calvin McGee went to UAB, so I think you understate the level of coach UConn could get. I think there is a 50% chance Kirk Ferentz will be available at season's end. He is not getting a Big 4 offer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think there is a 50% chance Kirk Ferentz will be available at season's end. He is not getting a Big 4 offer.

We don't want a retread. We need to take a chance on a promising up-and-comer.

Reaction Score
If at the end of the day a win is a win, then for the PP term there haven't been enough of them. After 17 games for a 62 year old coach who has benn coaching for 40 years, you have seen what you are going to get. Not good enough. Work on the replacement plan for 2013 so have candidates established and vetted. College football is very simple, it's about the coach - ask Arkansas.

Reaction Score
I wish I could say I'm surprised to hear all the panicking and calling for Pasqualoni's head after a win, but the truth is, any fan base who cares is going to get upset by things like a 7 point win at home against Buffalo.

But hey, at least we didn't lose to Youngstown State. So here's a few of my thoughts about the direction our program is heading:

1. It's adorable how many names we throw around as replacements for Pasqualoni. I'm sorry, but as much as you might think Petrino is just gonna walk in that door and wanna coach here, this isn't exactly an attractive coaching job. Poor recruiting territory. Very brief history. Conference instability (and I'm being generous). Fickle fan base that doesn't pack the stadium.

It's easy to imagine a world where there's a ton of head coach candidates with better, more innovative coaching techniques than Pasqualoni, but I see very little evidence of this.

2. While the offensive playcalling leaves a little to be desired, I think we're severely underestimating the talent gap between this program now and this program two years ago. You don't replace guys like Zach Hurd, Jordan Todman, Kendall Reyes, Tywon Martin, Mike Ryan, etc. overnight.

We all used to complain about Edsall's lame playcalling, but with our O-line and Todman, it worked. We gained yards. It wasn't pretty, but it won ballgames. We can't know with any degree of certainty how much of this is offense philosophy and how much of this is simple lack of offensive talent and lack of trust in our O-line to give Whitmer time to throw, receivers time to pass, etc.

Yeah, it sucks how many 1st down runs we call. But maybe P believes we absolutely HAVE to have a running game, and that means live snaps against live teams. Especially against teams like Buffalo where you can afford to stay vanilla and get your O-line some more practice.

3. I understand it wasn't the most impressive performance, but some people really need to step off the ledge. We're 3-2. It hasn't always been pretty. But as far as I can tell, they haven't canceled the season yet. And I see a team that can certainly win 6 games. Maybe more. Who knows.

But the nonstop negativity and complaining is just ridiculous sometimes. I know all fan bases do this. I know it's an internet message board and that's what fans do. But people act like we're BC. We're not. And if you want to continue to be better than BC, you gotta support your program, through thick and thin. And that means recruiting more fans. Selling the program to the state. Not crying every time we don't cover the spread.

At the end of the day, a win's a win. It might not be pretty, but I'll take it. I'll take the optimism of seeing Whitmer making slightly better decisions. Receivers getting slightly better separation. A team emotionally recovering from a terrible start to win. A coach finally starting to give other running backs a look.

And as much as people want to act like the rest of the Big East is so terribly great, I see a whole lot of inconsistency and a whole lot of opportunities to steal a win here and there. This season ain't over yet, so let's stop acting like it is.

Man, you're kidding yourself. If all you can say is, "a win is a win" and the win is over Buffalo, and at home, and Buffalo didn't have it's best runner, then you're just living out in Bolivian, as Mike Tyson would say.

Reaction Score
I highly disagree that "this isn't an attractive coaching job". The facility sells the program almost all by itself. Maybe it is a stepping stone job, but it's the last step.

I think Manuel is smart enough to know what the next coach has to be: on younger side, good PR skills who will be attractive to advertisers (free PR for program) and eager to travel the state talking up and selling the program (including opening up preseason scrimmages), good resume at I-A school. Might be coordinator who's never been an HC.

When Edsall left I sort of hoped Ferentz would be in the mix. Post-PP Id vote against a retread. And let's get this straight now: Bobby Petrino is NOT coming here. You can scratch off anyone who might prompt Women's Center protests.

Reaction Score
I highly disagree that "this isn't an attractive coaching job". The facility sells the program almost all by itself. Maybe it is a stepping stone job, but it's the last step.

What does this mean - It's a dream job?

Do you really think this is a destination job? We got spoiled w/ Geno A and Jim C. As long as they is a SEC, PAC 12, Big 12 even a BiG10 - we will lose coaches.

Reaction Score
Medic, it means we're attractive to 30-35 year old coordinators with dreams of someday coaching in the SEC - or making huge coin. Think of Urban Meyer at Bowling Green/Utah. The problem in the last hire is the person doing the hiring had no idea where or how to find the next Urban Meyer. And once you find a guy like that give him the resources he needs to win.

It's certainly "doable", as JC might say.

Reaction Score
If at the end of the day a win is a win, then for the PP term there haven't been enough of them. After 17 games for a 62 year old coach who has benn coaching for 40 years, you have seen what you are going to get. Not good enough. Work on the replacement plan for 2013 so have candidates established and vetted. College football is very simple, it's about the coach - ask Arkansas.

What numbers were pasqualoni and deleone wearing out there? No matter the scheme ultimately talent and passion win out. I am not seeing either from this team. We were lucky to win yesterday, the second half performance and lack of commitment is on the players nothing to do with the coaching.

Reaction Score
We were lucky to win yesterday, the second half performance and lack of commitment is on the players nothing to do with the coaching.

Scoob, the parents of the "uncommitted" players - you know, players like Sio who had a highlight reel hit late in the game - are easily accessible at games, tailgates, etc. I gladly invite you to mingle with them and express that viewpoint.

Reaction Score
Here's for me a telling bit of information, and why I am not feeling so hot about the current state of our staff...

Between 2004 and 2010 in games against non-AQ FBS programs, Randy Edsall led teams went 12-2 with a lot of big blowouts. And a lot of those games were with Bones, DJ, and post injury Lorenzen at QB.

In the last 2 seasons, we have gone 2-2 against the same level of competition, and have looked awfully pedestrian in the two wins.

This isn't meant as a positive post about our past coach, but his teams did what they were supposed to do when facing inferior competition. They curb stomped them.

I feel like the current staff, be it with schemes, coaching, or play-calling, are causing the team to play to the level of competition and not forcing their will upon them. I can't believe that we suddenly have mid-MAC level talent.

And, by the way, I think this team can be quite successful with a few tweaks in the offensive scheme. All is not lost, but PP and GD have to be open to change what isn't working.
This!

Reaction Score
Why not do both at the same time?

For the same reason you don't drive a Maserati with your part-time student job.

Just because you want something doesn't mean it's possible. At least, not yet.

Reaction Score
Scoob, the parents of the "uncommitted" players - you know, players like Sio who had a highlight reel hit late in the game - are easily accessible at games, tailgates, etc. I gladly invite you to mingle with them and express that viewpoint.

What did you see on the field in the second half yesterday? Did the squad take control of the game? Did they exhibit the will to domiate their opponent? According to many posters here we have far better talent then the MAC teams so if the players are better then they say the problem is the coaching. I am suggesting that the team is not as talented as these posters believe (by the way anyone catch the result of the Western game yesterday?) and the team has or shown the requisite will on the field the last few weeks. As for the parents they should be very proud that their sons are able to play high D1 football and they should be thankful that heir kids go to school for free. This s a College football message board it is okay to question things, isn't it?

Reaction Score
Medic, it means we're attractive to 30-35 year old coordinators with dreams of someday coaching in the SEC - or making huge coin. Think of Urban Meyer at Bowling Green/Utah. The problem in the last hire is the person doing the hiring had no idea where or how to find the next Urban Meyer. And once you find a guy like that give him the resources he needs to win.

It's certainly "doable", as JC might say.

No arguments there but that's not what you said. You said the UConn Coaching job was "the last step". If it's the last step - we risk finding ourselves where we are now.

Reaction Score
My bad. I mean the last step before dream job. Poorly phrased on my part

Reaction Score
It's fairly unlikely that we will get someone like Calvin McGee to make people like Waylon happy, but I think we can make an inspired hire that will win here for four years. Won't be a guy most have heard of, but still could probably get a good coach.

Look at when Art Briles got his break. Not your normal hire, but it worked. Garrick "don't call me Calvin" McGee would have been the inspired hire. Could Willie Taggart be our next guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom