UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
In her soon to be released book she shows she has no passion to the game. Link

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Talent without passion, sad

Reaction Score
Perhaps this will finally put to an end to the falsehood about her leaving bc of her sister:

2. Delle Donne herself draws comparisons between the Connecticut situation and her decision to leave the Sky. When the Sky hired Amber Stocks, the new coach called for a championship culture. “They’re looking for players who are truly passionate about this team, I realized. Yet there’s a little voice in my head saying that that’s not me. ...

Reaction Score
Perhaps this will finally put to an end to the falsehood about her leaving bc of her sister:

2. Delle Donne herself draws comparisons between the Connecticut situation and her decision to leave the Sky. When the Sky hired Amber Stocks, the new coach called for a championship culture. “They’re looking for players who are truly passionate about this team, I realized. Yet there’s a little voice in my head saying that that’s not me. ...

I don't know, she is again choosing a move much closer to Delaware.

data=xVy2G1b1TLFApKXI0tV7-XfuRHVdNH-D0zj0rxHsy85J_ngRwx9Y9AbilosIvO61VVgEYBpZ4CoBGgRRD1TjwYSenZS-SNd_T6aA_dYtS64EV8FWpBUoBJNMnXlxNlrIYPmTVXzP--vNqXCGc_p3eypv9i_C9nipxdYUOYVE3VQ6,eeJhnZDyg4bj70De3qH2ZdPBh3DeVQyutQXBpvRYwWPR7n-Fw-263IByR6E-w0vTweLBOgvsuvxUtlImfkDdZCfj_WopAmEuQIFxwANlJRdKJh4KJx1ZnrBri2WYAeDkWAWSYg3JeDFYR7nM_71gMaYneG5dGsZUjhu2tlV0GS2mIVRpsiGGl00SgILG6IppMOLzjrjlpqbBlgf0dbe0iFU-mhzcJ7Y1BeNdX_POdZcS2dDdDsZ4oHEYa66-j4t9F13dzzdJapvx7d26YvkCRqY8S17jC8BlcUbQ9FXOx2XO-b-XWXhpupBU39QZTT1NsEyiKoSI7yBmCAMVCdTl0MBUEkf8xyNCtg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So EDD shows and says what has become self evident. That basketball, the sport for which she has the greatest physical talent, the sport for which she has chosen as her career, the sport she has chosen to represent her and for which she has chosen to represent, she holds no real passion.

So why continue to play at all? She's not making any real money in the WNBA. Why not end a professional life that is really just a lie and venture off into the life you truly have a passion for? Doing something year after year for which you feel nothing just builds anger and resentment. It can also lead to questioning your own self worth and values. EDD as person remains a puzzle box to me.

Reaction Score
Another person, another story, showing different idiosyncrasies within the human condition.

So she's a 6'5" female athlete - when she was 12 years old I'm certain she was encouraged to play sports. And if you know something about her - besides her love for her sister - you know she may have been conflicted as a child/teenager in other areas that didn't make life easy. Life is never easy.

Look, cut her some slack. Like all of us: we're doing the best we can. Maybe some understand, probably most won't understand. Life is tough. Let her tough it out her way.

Good luck EDD.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So why continue to play at all? She's not making any real money in the WNBA.

When she was a rookie, Crain's Chicago Business said her endorsements were valued at $250k/year. Since then she's won the MVP award and a gold medal. I'd guess she's making substantially more now. She's making plenty of money through being a WNBA player.

The linked articles said that she was not passionate about the Sky. Not that she wasn't passionate about basketball.

She's clearly not the type that eats, sleeps, and breathes the game. But when she's on the court she seems passionate enough. She always plays hard. The year Chicago made the Finals her back was such a wreck that she was laying down and being stretched by a trainer during timeouts. If she didn't care, it would have been far easier to beg off and just say she was too hurt to play.

Frankly (and I'm a fan), the Sky are a poorly run organization. Epiphanny Prince forced a trade. Sylvia Fowles forced a trade. For whatever reason, they have done a really poor job of keeping their stars happy. EDD is just the latest example. This article leads me to believe that EDD didn't know Pokey was going to be fired before it happened. That's absolutely stupid. EDD was the centerpiece of the whole franchise. Management's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd thoughts at all time ought to have been "How do we keep Elena in Chicago long term?"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"So why continue to play at all? She's not making any real money in the WNBA."

@JordyG: do you want her furniture? I do but I have enough furniture. I appreciate her craftsmanship but does it pay the bills? So she's not passionate - well I worked and I wasn't passionate either. Just professional. It was a job. Paid the bills. Like, no trust fund. You know, middle class? Maybe EDD does what she has to do? Like most of us.

Okay. I'm done for 2018 with EDD. I can't worry about her. Got Maya, Stewie, Tuck, Gabby to worry about.

Reaction Score
So EDD shows and says what has become self evident. That basketball, the sport for which she has the greatest physical talent, the sport for which she has chosen as her career, the sport she has chosen to represent her and for which she has chosen to represent, she holds no real passion.

So why continue to play at all? She's not making any real money in the WNBA. Why not end a professional life that is really just a lie and venture off into the life you truly have a passion for? Doing something year after year for which you feel nothing just builds anger and resentment. It can also lead to questioning your own self worth and values. EDD as person remains a puzzle box to me.
I have to say, this makes sense ( what you say ). She can do a lot of other things. It is not surprising that athletes burn out these days, having focused on one sport, 24/7 forever. In the men's NBA, a $6 million + paycheck helps maintain interest for a while longer.

JordyG

Reaction Score
When she was a rookie, Crain's Chicago Business said her endorsements were valued at $250k/year. Since then she's won the MVP award and a gold medal. I'd guess she's making substantially more now. She's making plenty of money through being a WNBA player.

The linked articles said that she was not passionate about the Sky. Not that she wasn't passionate about basketball.

She's clearly not the type that eats, sleeps, and breathes the game. But when she's on the court she seems passionate enough. She always plays hard. The year Chicago made the Finals her back was such a wreck that she was laying down and being stretched by a trainer during timeouts. If she didn't care, it would have been far easier to beg off and just say she was too hurt to play.

Frankly (and I'm a fan), the Sky are a poorly run organization. Epiphanny Prince forced a trade. Sylvia Fowles forced a trade. For whatever reason, they have done a really poor job of keeping their stars happy. EDD is just the latest example. This article leads me to believe that EDD didn't know Pokey was going to be fired before it happened. That's absolutely stupid. EDD was the centerpiece of the whole franchise. Management's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd thoughts at all time ought to have been "How do we keep Elena in Chicago long term?"
Add together her endorsements and her WNBA salery and playing overseas would still NET her 3x that amount.

Any team that wants to win has to build a winng culture. Any team that wants to build a winning culture will ask of their players the same question.

When you play for a team you are NOT playing for an organization. You are playing for the people you're on the court with. The people who work hard, whose sweat is in your eyes, all of whom are working toward a common goal: Establishing a winning culture. That is usually the reason players play through pain and adversity, for each other.

Believe me I know what a toxic organization looks like. I'm a basketball fan that was born in NY. Chicago was and is clearly another one. I don't blame her for bailing. That's not my point at all. My point is about life choices. She's already achieved greatness as a basketball player. Why not move on to something that she does feel passion about? Something that would leave her feeling far more fulfilled. She's still young. Sports doesn't have to be the end all of her life.

I'm one of those people that feels the happier people are the better off the world is. I just think she'd be happier doing otherwise.

JordyG

Reaction Score
"So why continue to play at all? She's not making any real money in the WNBA."

@JordyG: do you want her furniture? I do but I have enough furniture. I appreciate her craftsmanship but does it pay the bills? So she's not passionate - well I worked and I wasn't passionate either. Just professional. It was a job. Paid the bills. Like, no trust fund. You know, middle class? Maybe EDD does what she has to do? Like most of us.

Okay. I'm done for 2018 with EDD. I can't worry about her. Got Maya, Stewie, Tuck, Gabby to worry about.
I worked for 25 years taking care of the mentally and physically disabled. For 18 of those years I was wildly passionate and dedicated toward their welfare. I was also really, really good at it. I got up at 2:30 am every morning, left the house at 3 am, and loved every second of it. In year 19 I was cheated out of my position and sent back a grade to my former position. I was miserable, resentful and bitter for the final 6 years, and I worked without any spark or passion. It didn't help that my 4 hours a day transit never changed. It took a toll on me, a physical toll for which I am still paying. I wouldn't wish that one anyone, especially EDD.

I look back now and see my feelings and responses at that time as all just a monumental waste of negativity. I should have left. I'd have been far happier and healthier. No, I don't want her furniture. I'd wish for her to sell the house, well crafted furniture and all, and get a new place that's a better fit for her.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Add together her endorsements and her WNBA salery and playing overseas would still NET her 3x that amount.

I'm one of those people that feels the happier people are the better off the world is. I just think she'd be happier doing otherwise.

Why do you assume you know what would make her happier? She's an adult and she has clearly demonstrated that if basketball isn't making her happy she will quit and do something else.

Have you considered she's already following your advice? Yes, she could make more money overseas but she chooses not to. Instead, she stays home does the things she cares about: spending time with her family, writing books, making furniture, holding basketball camps, working with Special Olympics, etc.

Making $300k for essentially four months work and then having the rest of the year to spend however you choose sounds pretty good to me.

Reaction Score
Doing what one loves is extremely important. Life is made up of various aspects and only the very few can love or is as good in, each and every aspect.
Maybe she has found a balance that is when put together very satisfying for her. I certainly have no clue as I truly don't know that much about her except what one reads. And going on that is possibly very incomplete, imbalanced or inaccurate.
I started to write one of my usually long winded explanations of how I see it. I've gone thorough some significant changes in the approximately 50 years I've worked and am still making choices about how my time is spent and almost all of us have to build living comfortably financially or at least decently into the equation.
No one is in her shoes so while suggestions and guidance might be useful, it's also very possible either she doesn't need it or want it. Most of us look at things, well if this happened to me I'd be thrilled to be one of the great players of the game and what I wouldn't do for that.
She has always seemed like a thoughtful, sensible woman who at least some part of the equation is growing up as a sibling of a handicapped person. Unless you've lived that type of life or experience you have no clue how it effects every member of that family. The fact that she's very close to and caring for her sister, is very admirable.
So I think those of you who want to criticize her, try and chill out. Or look in the mirror and figure out why and how it effects you at all or so much!
Nowadays younger people would say get a life!
Bronx23

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I have never seen such recurring interest in a non-UCONN !

Reaction Score

She's not making real money? I know it's not overseas money, but compared to most of us shlubs who work for a living, it's a veritable fortune. And I'd like to say it's passion that motivates me in my job, but it's really that I like to eat and keep a roof over my head. This country isn't what it used to be and a dollar doesn't go nearly as far as it once did. Yet she's making over a hundred grand for a few months of balling. Anybody wants to offer that to me and I'll take it any day of the week.

Reaction Score

not only that pretty sure her family has a ton of money, she's the Josh Rosen female version

Reaction Score

Any team that wants to win has to build a winng culture. Any team that wants to build a winning culture will ask of their players the same question.

When you play for a team you are NOT playing for an organization. You are playing for the people you're on the court with. The people who work hard, whose sweat is in your eyes, all of whom are working toward a common goal: Establishing a winning culture. That is usually the reason players play through pain and adversity, for each other.

Believe me I know what a toxic organization looks like. I'm a basketball fan that was born in NY. Chicago was and is clearly another one. I don't blame her for bailing. That's not my point at all. My point is about life choices. She's already achieved greatness as a basketball player. Why not move on to something that she does feel passion about? Something that would leave her feeling far more fulfilled. She's still young. Sports doesn't have to be the end all of her life.

She's willing to play for less to be near her sister?

JordyG

Reaction Score
She's not making real money? I know it's not overseas money, but compared to most of us shlubs who work for a living, it's a veritable fortune. And I'd like to say it's passion that motivates me in my job, but it's really that I like to eat and keep a roof over my head. This country isn't what it used to be and a dollar doesn't go nearly as far as it once did. Yet she's making over a hundred grand for a few months of balling. Anybody wants to offer that to me and I'll take it any day of the week.
Playing professional sports for "a few months a year" is not some trivial or whimsical thing. The mental and physical stresses are something we sports laypeople can never imagine or approximate. Further the window of opportunity for moneymaking is extremely short because of these stresses. If you believe what she does is not work then you've never really seen what these people go through just to get on the court every day. Their after sports life rarely approaches the highs of that life, and most are ill prepared educationally and emotionally to pursue meaningful careers afterwards. Many of us who work at a "regular" job make as much or more than these sports figures over the course of our long working careers, since most sports figures are retired before 30. If you look at the incomes of other WNBA superstars, and EDD is one of them, their incomes far exceed hers. In fact, it may be a fortune to you and I, but among other superstars in sports, it ain't.

No my conceit is not criticism of EDD. Far from it. I admire her doing something as difficult as sport for so many years (since she was 6--7--9?). I don't know how many stories I've read of sports figures who have said they never really had a passion for the sport. That indeed they did it for the money and occasionally for the camaraderie. Most sports figures retire because of injury. Many of those who retire early do so because of their lack or loss of passion for the sport. I admire them because of it, but I remain puzzled as to how they could do it for so long. Sports is different from regular jobs. You are literally putting your life and health on the line every time you step on court. Indeed, every time you step into the gym for personal workouts, the weight room etc. You are your product. The day starts early and ends late. Your commitment has to be very high for a long period of years, and I admit, how someone could be so committed without passion for so long is beyond my ken.

EDD has a varied and fulfilling life outside of sport. If sport fulfills her professional ideals, good on her. I've always been of the belief however, rightly or wrongly, that people are happiest when doing things they are most happy doing. At this time in her life, she may be doing all of things that puts her in perfect balance, and that balance may be her passion. Good for her. Then I say whatever I feel just doesn't apply.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Another person, another story, showing different idiosyncrasies within the human condition.

So she's a 6'5" female athlete - when she was 12 years old I'm certain she was encouraged to play sports. And if you know something about her - besides her love for her sister - you know she may have been conflicted as a child/teenager in other areas that didn't make life easy. Life is never easy.

Look, cut her some slack. Like all of us: we're doing the best we can. Maybe some understand, probably most won't understand. Life is tough. Let her tough it out her way.

Good luck EDD.
She needs to stop talking about it publicly then!

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Need to cut her a great deal of slack...My insight to share is it is the Chronic Lyme...It is kicking her ...

Hard to meet all the demands she faces when you are on that rollercoaster (Physical and Cognitive Impacts)...

Forces you to rethink trying to live up to everyone else's expectations as well as your own...You just are not able to do it on all levels all the time...

She must have really wanted to do those books and I bet it took a lot longer and required a lot more support to accomplish than she ever imagined...

She is my favorite athlete because of her battle with Lyme...

She cares about her teammates and does not want to disappoint them...It just is not always possible...for a variety of reasons...

Reaction Score
Need to cut her a great deal of slack...My insight to share is it is the Chronic Lyme...It is kicking her ...

Hard to meet all the demands she faces when you are on that rollercoaster (Physical and Cognitive Impacts)...

Forces you to rethink trying to live up to everyone else's expectations as well as your own...You just are not able to do it on all levels all the time...

She must have really wanted to do those books and I bet it took a lot longer and required a lot more support to accomplish than she ever imagined...

She is my favorite athlete because of her battle with Lyme...

She cares about her teammates and does not want to disappoint them...It just is not always possible...for a variety of reasons...

Idk seems odd to me that she wanted to leave when the 1st 3 years she was with the sky they looked like they were building something special. Obviously the sky fell apart after Fowles demanded a trade and then they fired Chapman the hc.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I worked for 25 years taking care of the mentally and physically disabled. For 18 of those years I was wildly passionate and dedicated toward their welfare. I was also really, really good at it. I got up at 2:30 am every morning, left the house at 3 am, and loved every second of it. In year 19 I was cheated out of my position and sent back a grade to my former position. I was miserable, resentful and bitter for the final 6 years, and I worked without any spark or passion. It didn't help that my 4 hours a day transit never changed. It took a toll on me, a physical toll for which I am still paying. I wouldn't wish that one anyone, especially EDD.

I look back now and see my feelings and responses at that time as all just a monumental waste of negativity. I should have left. I'd have been far happier and healthier. No, I don't want her furniture. I'd wish for her to sell the house, well crafted furniture and all, and get a new place that's a better fit for her.

JordyG, as the father of a mentally disabled person, allow me to thank you for your service. It is an extremely difficult job, that can be most rewarding and frustrating at the same time. Shame on your boss for playing politics in that environment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom