A DT fan chimes in on her not playing for the Merc... | The Boneyard

A DT fan chimes in on her not playing for the Merc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the complaint is more about Phoenix tanking the season in an attempt at getting Griner. I find it funny that some LA Sparks fans are very vocal about this. They forget that in 2006 they had the best record in the W and the next year, when Parker was coming into the league, they had the worst.

Pot meet kettle.

Reaction Score
I'm endlessly amused that the site where the denunciation of DT for this is the most constant and loud (and no, it's not the orange place) greeted her entry into the WNBA with the consensus that "She's just another overhyped SWG* from UConn" *SWG = "slow white girl"). It was also the home base of a strange hue and cry a few years back to boot Sue off the Olympic team and replace her with Loree Moore, which provides adequate insight into their level of comprehension of the game. But they have opinions, and address them loudly, and heaven help those who don't agree.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I It was also the home base of a strange hue and cry a few years back to boot Sue off the Olympic team and replace her with Loree Moore,
Now THAT is funny. :)

Reaction Score
I'm endlessly amused that the site where the denunciation of DT for this is the most constant and loud (and no, it's not the orange place) greeted her entry into the WNBA with the consensus that "She's just another overhyped SWG* from UConn" *SWG = "slow white girl"). It was also the home base of a strange hue and cry a few years back to boot Sue off the Olympic team and replace her with Loree Moore, which provides adequate insight into their level of comprehension of the game. But they have opinions, and address them loudly, and heaven help those who don't agree.

Consider the source...and ask yourself, "What would Nick do?"

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Tanking sucks in terms of the fan experience, but bottom line, if you're not going to contend, being middling is a worse position than being awful.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tanking sucks in terms of the fan experience, but bottom line, if you're not going to contend, being middling is a worse position than being awful.
One reason I love soccer/football. Most foreign leagues had promotion/relegation. So the bottom 3 teams don't get draft choices, but rather get relegated to the league below. Makes for a much more exciting end of season.

Reaction Score
One reason I love soccer/football. Most foreign leagues had promotion/relegation. So the bottom 3 teams don't get draft choices, but rather get relegated to the league below. Makes for a much more exciting end of season.

Never thought about that...no tanking in the EPL, is there !

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Not sure where that was because in Phoenix, she was hailed as "the savior." She was touted as the player who would "save the WNBA." And this was generally the opinion nationally...she was regarded as the player who would change the face of the WNBA and bring it to a much bigger audience. To a large degree, she has succeeded. She has multiple WNBA titles and MVP awards (regular season and postseason). When asked to name women's basketball players, the average male sports fan knows who Taurasi is and respects her game. She is respected and highly regarded among the male sports "talking heads" (ESPN Radio, sports podcasts, Pardon the Interruption, etc.)

Who tried to boot Sue off of the Olympic Team and replace her with Loree Moore? Let me tell you, that was never a viable option, and it was never even brought up as an option. A few message board posters do not form the national media or USA Basketball.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Who tried to boot Sue off of the Olympic Team and replace her with Loree Moore? Let me tell you, that was never a viable option, and it was never even brought up as an option. A few message board posters do not form the national media or USA Basketball.
I think his point was that there were a good number of deluded message board fans who were very vocal that Sue had no place on the Olympic team. She was not good enough and "other" PG's (specifically Moore) were much better and much more deserving.

Somewhat similar to the hysteria that erupted when Jones was named to the team in place of Griner over "much more deserving" players like Pondexter, Brunson, Young, and I forget who else (maybe Langhorne?)...

Reaction Score
The message board in question is Rebkell. I remember reading that stuff too. There is a lot of nonsense posted on there, but also a lot of quality info.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I think his point was that there were a good number of deluded message board fans who were very vocal that Sue had no place on the Olympic team. She was not good enough and "other" PG's (specifically Moore) were much better and much more deserving.

If they are fans of one team posting on one message board, that is not a national outcry or media-pressured story. Moore may have been deserving of an invitation to camps in one year, but she was never a viable candidate. There is a big difference between one team's fans on their own message board making statements and things that are truly the sources of controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom