A Dime Back Podcast: The Big 12 | The Boneyard

A Dime Back Podcast: The Big 12

Reaction Score
They're clearly BB first. Their view is from that lens. What i take most issue with is the premise that the state is an endless piggybank that will always be there to finance UConn sports especially when it comes to increasing costs of top coaches.

Reaction Score
What i take most issue with is the premise that the state is an endless piggybank that will always be there to finance UConn sports especially when it comes to increasing costs of top coaches.
The masses love sport, and the people with the purse strings like things that distract the masses.

Reaction Score
They're clearly BB first. Their view is from that lens. What i take most issue with is the premise that the state is an endless piggybank that will always be there to finance UConn sports especially when it comes to increasing costs of top coaches.
The mentality of many people in Connecticut is that the government has endless money, so it's not surprising that people are ignoring the economic reality of UConn's conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
Anyone who is basketball first and has half a brain should recognize the long term need to go to the Big XII. It is a basketball first move--from a revenue standpoint, and it's the best basketball conference in America.

Reaction Score
The entire conversation ranges from inane to downright delusional. Here are some real quotes from the "debate":
-[on football scheduling if we go to the Big 12] "A mediocre Syracuse team is more appealing than a ranked Texas Tech or Kansas State." (Yeah, the same Kansas State that just won the Big 12 and beat the CFP runner-up in the process.)
-[on football recruiting vs. maintaining independence] "I just don't see how being in the Big 12 is that much more appealing to a recruit."
-(Paraphrasing) "We have no history with the Big 12 in Football." See: RGIII's comments about LOSING at the Rent when he was at Baylor.
-One person also claimed that football never won 8-9 games in a season (they have, five different times in the BE).

The whole episode is an example of "not every person with an opinion needs a podcast". That's what the BY is for.

Reaction Score
The podcast really sheds light on the money argument..there is a lot more involved then just the media pay out…also it sounds like we might get some news coming from the big east meeting in Florida

Reaction Score
The entire conversation ranges from inane to downright delusional. Here are some real quotes from the "debate":
-[on football scheduling if we go to the Big 12] "A mediocre Syracuse team is more appealing than a ranked Texas Tech or Kansas State." (Yeah, the same Kansas State that just won the Big 12 and beat the CFP runner-up in the process.)
-[on football recruiting vs. maintaining independence] "I just don't see how being in the Big 12 is that much more appealing to a recruit."
-(Paraphrasing) "We have no history with the Big 12 in Football." See: RGIII's comments about LOSING at the Rent when he was at Baylor.
-One person also claimed that football never won 8-9 games in a season (they have, five different times in the BE).

The whole episode is an example of "not every person with an opinion needs a podcast". That's what the BY is for.
ehh.
A medicore Syracuse is about as appealing as a ranked Texas Tech or Kansas State game would be.​

2015 attendance against #13 Houston; 26,879.​
2021 attendance against #24 Houston: 12,685​
2022 attendance against unranked Syracuse; 25,114​
The Big XII would certainly help recruiting, but I'm not sure how much. It's not like we can sell recruits on playing close to home.​
One game against Baylor doesn't make for "history"​

Reaction Score
ehh.
A medicore Syracuse is about as appealing as a ranked Texas Tech or Kansas State game would be.​

2015 attendance against #13 Houston; 26,879.​
2021 attendance against #24 Houston: 12,685​
2022 attendance against unranked Syracuse; 25,114​
The Big XII would certainly help recruiting, but I'm not sure how much. It's not like we can sell recruits on playing close to home.​
One game against Baylor doesn't make for "history"​
I cannot wait to sit my grandchildren down and tell them the grand story of that one off-hand remark RGIII made about playing at Rentscheler 15 years ago.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The B12 is the best basketball conference in the country. Anyone who says it would hurt our basketball shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Reaction Score
The B12 is the best basketball conference in the country. Anyone who says it would hurt our basketball shouldn’t be taken seriously.
travel is a real issue that will have affects on performance. It will also be a net negative for recruiting, even though I don't see Hurley having any problems recruiting.

the only way it ends up not hurting is if we're only one part of a multi team eastern expansion.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Going to the Big12 would be a disaster.

My recommendation would be to wait and see how the ACC leftovers play out.
Unless FSU can get out of their contract, we'd have to wait, 10 years?

Reaction Score
Listened for a few minutes. These guys are completely clueless about conference realignments.

It is embarrassing they are an UConn podcast. UConn not taking the B12 move would be the dumbest move in school history. When the ACC implodes, we will be sitting on our sorry ass while the B12 take all the Northeast leftovers like Cuse, BCU, and Pitt. We will be part of the G5 forever. These guys would have UConn screwed forever.

These clueless ignorant tools actually think UConn can keep coaches like Dan Hurley with it's current budget? The gap between teams like Houston and us would be huge. Don't these guys have a clue?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom