A Deep Dive Into Grad Transfer Eligible Players | The Boneyard

A Deep Dive Into Grad Transfer Eligible Players

Reaction Score
I wanted to do a deep dive into looking at some Grad Transfer eligible players for the 2020-21 season. This is a long post, just a heads up. There’s been a lot of discussion on the board about it, so I did some research to see various players that are eligible. I’m not advocating for them to transfer or stating that they will, simply reflecting they have eligibility to do so. I identified 10 guys that teams may target if they decide to transfer and put their name into the portal. Thought it’d be cool to watch them play as the season nears end.

Because of the weird eligibility rules with the Ivy League, 5 of the players listed cannot return to their schools. The rule has led to some controversy, but it's allowed a lot of the top players into the league to grad transfer. Lots of movement will happen there. The other 5 are guys that have eligibility to leave if they so choose.
  • Seth Towns: 6’7 forward, player of the year from the Ivy League conference. Seth is officially entered into the transfer portal, and high level teams have been calling. He’s got 2 years of eligibility and will probably be the top transfer when it’s all said and done. He’s going Power 5 and will be a really good player. Some have identified him as an Ohio St. lean, but I have not seen him take any OV yet.
  • Patrick Tape: 6’10” 230 LB forward, really productive player at Columbia. Sat out this season and entered the transfer portal and has already done an OV at Syracuse. He has other OV’s scheduled at Maryland, Ohio St, and USC; big interest from Arizona as well.
  • Jordan Burner: 6’9” Forward from Yale, really solid player. Can hit from the outside and is a great rebounder. He put up huge numbers against UNC in Chapel Hill, going off for 17 pts, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 blocks; he was arguably the best player on the court that date. Been some rumors he’ll test the pro market, but he’ll be in high demand after the season ends.
  • Brendan Barry: 6’2 Guard from Dartmouth. A career 45% 3 point shooter, originally from NJ. Will transfer after the season. Averaged over 13 PPG last season.
  • Mike Smith: 5’11” Guard from Columbia, averaging 21.6 and 4.6. People stating he’ll get a lot of looks from P5 schools after the season.
  • Marcus Weathers: 6’5” Forward redshirt Jr. from Duquesne, averaging 14.5, 8 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks per game. Played well against the best A10 teams.
  • AJ Wilson: 6’7” Forward, redshirt Jr. from George Mason: Averaging 12 points, 8.2 rebounds, and 3.3 Blocks per game. Yes 3.3 blocks per game…
  • Ryan Daly: 6’5” Guard, Redshirt Jr. from St Joes averaging 20.4, 7.4, and 4.3. Who can forget this kid for having the game of his life, lighting up UConn for 30?
  • Nate Darling: 6’5” guard Redshirt Jr. from Delaware averaging 21.6 and 2.8 APG while shooting 40.5% from 3.
  • Kevin Marfo: 6’8” 245 LB forward Redshirt Jr. from Quinnipiac, averaging 10.2 and 13.3 RPG. Originally from NJ.
Thanks for sticking with me through this post, it’s a long one. I just wanted to identify some guys to watch and see if their name pops up in the transfer portal as grad transfers. A lot of these guys I haven’t seen but will try to tune in and watch as I can.

Reaction Score
I’ll take one of those LB forward guys please. Especially knowing that Akok is likely a medical redshirt next season.

Reaction Score
Best shooter available
As of now, it appears Barry would be that guy. Don’t think many transfers will boast a 45% career 3 point shoot percentage like he has. I’ll try to dig up some game film of him, have not seen him play.

Edit: of the guys I listed that is. Things may and definitely can/will change after the season.

Reaction Score
Best 4 and a shooter why not? 2 more schollies for the year after.

Don't know much about AJ Wilson but 3.3 blocks? Wow

Reaction Score
I still think Bruner would be the obvious choice. He’s not a reach, and he would fill a legit need with Akok’s injury. The fact that he’s already attending Yale, which is obviously in state, couldn’t hurt. Barry would be nice as well, I just don’t want to mess up any chemistry or anything like that at the guard position.

Reaction Score
Best 4 and a shooter why not? 2 more schollies for the year after.

Don't know much about AJ Wilson but 3.3 blocks? Wow
Yeah that really caught me eye. Seems like a late bloomer whose really come on this season. He’s had some good games against the Top A10 teams. Hopefully going to watch a game or two of his when the A10 tourney comes around. With a strong close to the season, he may opt to test the waters of another team in a bigger conference.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Daly is like a top 20 scorer in the country. Makes me feel a little better about the game who shall not be mentioned.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Marfo could board in the BE. If Al stays I say we need a big and a shooter or not then a big and a PG who can shoot

Reaction Score
Hurley recruited Marfo hard out of highschool before he went to GW. Bruner, Towns, and Darling gotta be at the top of the list.

Reaction Score
I still think Bruner would be the obvious choice. He’s not a reach, and he would fill a legit need with Akok’s injury. The fact that he’s already attending Yale, which is obviously in state, couldn’t hurt. Barry would be nice as well, I just don’t want to mess up any chemistry or anything like that at the guard position.
Hurley recruited Marfo hard out of highschool before he went to GW. Bruner, Towns, and Darling gotta be at the top of the list.
If they’re pursuing the grad transfer option, Bruner would be my top choice as it currently stands.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bruner seems ideal with the Akok Injury. Previously Towns topped my list, as I think we need help at SF. Power forward was our strongest spot with Akok, Springs, Sid. Now it’s a problem. The great thing about a grad transfer PF is that it’s a nice bridge to Sanogo or Etienne next season and frees a 2021 scholarship. If Akok is back mid season I think he’s flexible enough to play some at the 3.

Reaction Score
Bruner seems ideal with the Akok Injury. Previously Towns topped my list, as I think we need help at SF. Power forward was our strongest spot with Akok, Springs, Sid. Now it’s a problem. The great thing about a grad transfer PF is that it’s a nice bridge to Sanogo or Etienne next season and frees a 2021 scholarship. If Akok is back mid season I think he’s flexible enough to play some at the 3.
I think there’s a fair argument to be made that another guard would help the team. But given what just occurred and the uncertainty there, if you can get a guy of his caliber as a grad transfer, it makes a lot of sense. My guess is they’ll have AJ handling the ball some as well. Very curious to see his development next year.

Reaction Score
I’d like a big but a great shooter would do. A big that can shoot would be a huge plus.

Reaction Score
I have fair reason to believe that Bruner will take the coached calls and has some incentive to stay close. From a very solid source in the program. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but we'll get as fair a shot as anyone

Reaction Score
Daly is like a top 20 scorer in the country. Makes me feel a little better about the game who shall not be mentioned.

He's a volume shooter. 42.2% FG's and 32.6% on three's this year and he's probably not what we need.

Maybe it's because he's the focus of all the opponents' defenses, but if that's the case it must have been that way all three years because his FG stats are 41.5, 42.0 and 42.2% and his three year 3 pointer stats are 32.7, 31.9 and 32.6. Remarkably consistent, but mediocre for our needs.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He's a volume shooter. 42.2% FG's and 32.6% on three's this year and he's probably not what we need.

Maybe it's because he's the focus of all the opponents' defenses, but if that's the case it must have been that way all three years because his FG stats are 41.5, 42.0 and 42.2% and his three year 3 pointer stats are 32.7, 31.9 and 32.6. Remarkably consistent, but mediocre for our needs.
Didn’t say we needed him...

Reaction Score

Yeah I don’t think he’s somebody the staff would target. Just found it interesting he had GT eligibility, who knows if he’ll use that or not. Bruner seems to be the guy who’d fit the mold of what the staff would want.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I didn’t like the Seth Towns idea UNTIL Akok got injured. What we need now is EXACTLY Seth Townes. A hybrid forward who can shoot.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There will be many more once the season comes to an end - DH is probably waiting on all the announcements

Reaction Score
Would love to have Nate Darling and Patrick Tape next year.

Reaction Score
Would love to have Nate Darling and Patrick Tape next year.
Tape has taken an OV at Cuse and has more scheduled at USC, Ohio State, and Maryland. Believe Zona is in the mix as well. He sat out this season and entered the transfer portal so he could open up his recruitment and take OVs. He wouldn’t have been able to do that now if he we waited until the end of the season. Expect him to go to one of those 5 schools. No clue on Darling, he may stick it out at Delaware. Won’t know until after the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom