A crappy season is a plus for Pasqualoni | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A crappy season is a plus for Pasqualoni

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
You didn't just compare RE's first years with P's first year. What can I say?

Agreed.

As far as players lost, especially on defense, the only glaring problems has been in the secondary. Maybe they're a better zine coverage group than the man to nan they are getting with the bltzing going on.

Secondary wasn't exactly good last year under the old coaches, even when FHCRE was taking a personal interest in them.

Don't hear any complaints about LB or DL so in essence we have the same defense with less success.

The front 7 has been great, so why would we complain about them?

Of course we miss Sherman an Frey and Hurd. The rest not so much. Walk on schmawk on. Mac is a measurable improvement over Frazier.

Todman? The lack of a dependable running game has hurt. Sure McCombs has gotten his numbers, and I like him for the future, but he is not the AA RB we have had for the past 3 or so years.

So on the defense it sure looks like Brown was too aggressive in scheme changes and it shows.

The offense does seem to be improving though.

My point all along Nan was RE won with essentially the same starting defense and less at QB. People need to stop making excuses for P.

When has any new coaching staff not brought in their own scheme? What do you want them to do? Just use RE's scheme? What would be the point of bringing in a new staff? If they wanted the same look they could have promoted Hughes. When the players get used to Brown's scheme, there will be (read: should be) less mistakes. This is why we need to see what happens next year, or even the next 6 games.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You didn't just compare RE's first years with P's first year. What can I say?

My point all along Nan was RE won with essentially the same starting defense and less at QB. People need to stop making excuses for P.

I didn't compare Edsall's early seasons to P's; I was responding to your post that Randy won with the same players. I wasn't sure if you meant when he first got here vs last year.

How can you ignore the loss of Jordan Todman? The guy WAS the offense last year, he and Teggart. When he and Frey opted not to return, and with an apparently competent but inexperienced (e.g. easily flustered) QB, the team is going to struggle.

I think you're also glossing over the loss of Wilson and Lutrus too, but there's no point in arguing, really. I'm not sure why I'm trying as I generally avoid arguments when the other party has absolutely no intention of considering the other side's point of view.

Reaction Score
Mets1090

Of course i forgot Todman. All I'm saying it doesn't have to be all at once.

If you think next year it will get better. Watch what happens when we lose a lot of talent.

Reaction Score
Nan...I said P had good players when he got here and you brought up Randy's first 4 years as comparison. Did you not?

As far as both sides of the arguement. Does not make any sense.

Reaction Score
I don't think enough posters here fully appreciate how good Todman was last year. If he is on this year's team we are 5-1 and if McCombs is the starter on last years team, that team loses to WV, Pitt, South Florida and probably Cincy and they don't go to a bowl.

Reaction Score
With 9 starters back on defense (before BWWs injury), and two All-Big East O linemen I don't think it was unreasonable to expect P to meet the Edsall standard of 7-5/8-4 bowl even w/QB-RB issues. The only way this isn't a "program took a step back" season is with a 4-2 or 5-1 finish.

BTW, Dave Carlson, you're 0-for-2 on your attempts at brilliant sarcasm. Feel free to explain why you think P is doing such a great job, why Hathaway was right to hire him, why those who criticize him on this board are stupid d-bags and why you've chosen to use your valuable time to communicate with such low-lifes who don't possess your savvy knowledge of the game.

Reaction Score
BTW, Dave Carlson, you're 0-for-2 on your attempts at brilliant sarcasm. Feel free to explain why you think P is doing such a great job, why Hathaway was right to hire him, why those who criticize him on this board are stupid d-bags and why you've chosen to use your valuable time to communicate with such low-lifes who don't possess your savvy knowledge of the game.

Sorry, you can be on the Council of Overseers that signs off on Pasqualoni's coaching, too, since you are an expert at football AND at politics. You are a real two-way threat in that regard, like Gordie Lockbaum from back in the dizzay (which means "day" to the young people). Maybe you could get Senator Blumenthal to work on getting the Council of Overseer by-laws into place after he's done taking care of Boston College, which I assume is top item on his agenda.

We need all the smart people we can get working on this or else Pasqualoni will destroy the entire state.

PASQUALONI IS NOT DONE WITH HIS LOSING GAMES THIS YEAR! HE IS GOING TO LOSE MORE, BOOK IT.

Reaction Score
Apparently reading comprehension is not a strong point for you.

I was talking about stuffing a new complex offensive and defensive scheme down their throat all at once. He was so desperate to impress he forgot to transition it over time.

Especially if you don't have the right players. Gotta give lots of credit though on how he handled the QB situation.

I think there is something to this. Every coach has to balance winning in year one with moving the program towards doing it his way. Did P have power to do what he didi? Of course. But would we have won more game if he had relied on Hughes and Foley and Morehead to make sure we didn't abandon as much of what we had been doing successfully, and what our personnel was built to do? I think there is something to that. I also think P wouldn't be alone among coaches (or bosses in other walks of life) who wanted to do it there way immediately, thinking that would be best in the long term.

Reaction Score
How can people not see the player losses from last year? No matter what, you can not win many games with an inexperienced QB. Throw in that we lost our top 4 RBs from last year, arguably our top wr, an All Big East OG, and it was pretty clear the offensive was going to struggle this year, at least at the beginning of the year, especially with a new system. Face fact, UConn has not had a decent QB since Orlovsky and this is the first time since moving to 1A that we haven't had depth at RB.

Coach P is no Greg Robinson. Robinson was never a head coach and had questionable credentials as an assistant. In addition, Coach P understands that you have to develop players at Northeastern schools as the local recruits are not as fully developed as Southern players. Robinson never understood this.

Reaction Score
I'll just say it again - Cincy was 4-8 in Butch Jones first year.

They're clearly on their way to a bowl game this year and in the top 2-3 BE teams. If the games fall right, they could be BE champions.

I'd say PP is in a similar situation as Butch was - maybe a little different in personnel lost - but it wasn't like PP came to a loaded team and is doing this. There are clear holes. Our QB and RB are gone. Few key players on defense. Anthony Sherman - seriously this guy was clutch for us! And let's be honest, it's not like the past few years have been that great for recruitment.

Gotta give PP a year to implement his system - get the right players on the field. I will give him a pass. The test starts this offseason on who signs on and then how many games we win.

He's clearly not a long term coach - but I think he'll be solid enough to keep the program at least relatively relevant while we search for our dream coach.

Reaction Score
How can people not see the player losses from last year? No matter what, you can not win many games with an inexperienced QB. Throw in that we lost our top 4 RBs from last year, arguably our top wr, an All Big East OG, and it was pretty clear the offensive was going to struggle this year, at least at the beginning of the year, especially with a new system. Face fact, UConn has not had a decent QB since Orlovsky and this is the first time since moving to 1A that we haven't had depth at RB.

Coach P is no Greg Robinson. Robinson was never a head coach and had questionable credentials as an assistant. In addition, Coach P understands that you have to develop players at Northeastern schools as the local recruits are not as fully developed as Southern players. Robinson never understood this.

We did not lose our games because of our offense (if you want to count some terrible play calling you can) but there has been enough scoring to win "winnable" games which were all but WVU.

Reaction Score
Heard it this morning ... and it is absolutely true:

A NEW coach needs to do something EARLY to make it his team. A WIN at Vandy by tightening the Offense & playing mistake free. A WIN in a big situation. I don't think PP was a bad hire (certainly not what Kragthorpe & GROB turned into); but, he needs to grab ahold of this situation NOW.

I agree. This is why I think the GROB comparison fits. He didn't show anything early to indicate that there was a reason to believe in what he was doing. We're basically seeing a flat line with P.

Reaction Score
I agree. This is why I think the GROB comparison fits. He didn't show anything early to indicate that there was a reason to believe in what he was doing. We're basically seeing a flat line with P.

I'm sorry. You can't see a flatline half a year into a coach's first season. Do I think they are off to a great start. Nope. But you can't conclude from what they've done that they won't get it done.

Reaction Score
What could he do? The cupboard was bare. Waa waaa.

Then the five win season next year can be seen as improvement (three win season?). We're moving in the right direction. Waa waa. By next year, Mac should be a mid-level Sunbelt starter. That alone should help the W column.

P gets a pass this year. Setting the bar low means in year three the bar is still low. Winning all the OOC games, as was possible this year, wouldn't have made much difference in his tenure. But I think, it would actually made it harder for P in the long run.

It reminds me of a team playing for a first round draft pick. Wins are not important. It's only important that P be seen as a steady hand on the wheel
Wow, has anyone ever seen you smile?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry. You can't see a flatline half a year into a coach's first season. Do I think they are off to a great start. Nope. But you can't conclude from what they've done that they won't get it done.
And ... our friend Wiscy took this in a direction I did not intend.

You need to get some good things going early in a position like this. He hasn't. That does not mean, imho, that this is a GROB. It just is two entirely different situations. GROB, as you might remember, did an awful job gathering assistants. That is NOT something I think in PP's case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom