A couple of things on baseball.... | The Boneyard

A couple of things on baseball....

Reaction Score
The recent injury to Glibber Torres led me to have some conversations with friends who played the game with me and against me, obviously many years ago. I mean this injury is a bot more extreme than many but the head first slide is a great way to lose time in that game. It's really amazing to me how many now do this rather than slide legs/feet first like baseball used to be played. #1 you aren't taking anyone out with your hands whether it be breaking up a double play or a play at home getting through the catcher on a bang bang play. #2 I've never seen a guy who does slide feet first need to put gloves or mittens on his feet to run the bases. If you have to do that then you know it's dangerous and stupid quite honestly. If anyone in their right mind believes it's faster, then I beg to differ. The art of the slide feet first, the hook slide, sliding past and using the hand etc etc is gone and it's very sad. Not only can you stay away from injuries you can be a better base runner. Oh well, if these guys were on my team they would be wetting down the grass or using slip'n slides during spring training to teach them how so they would do it all year. Those who elect to go head first will sign a contract that if they are injured while doing this and need the DL they will not be paid for time off. Yeah I know the Players Assoc would have a field day but who cares? LOL

And the ball, it there's not a super ball in the middle of these balls this year then I'm a dumb**s. I mean please guys are hitting 440 foot one handers out, it's jumping out of every stadium like mad. I realize they're bigger, stronger, cheating but this year is the exception just like McGuire and Sosa. They wanted more HR's and they got them, no doubter they added pop to these balls. Look at Kershaw, same stats or in line with every great year for him at 10-2 - K's, ERA, etc etc....but he's already given up 17HR's the most he has ever given up in one season. Enough said on this...and Eric Thames (the guy on the Brewers?) okay yeah Japan made him a new player not the fact he looks like an NFL LBer now? LOL

Love the game but man it's changed!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I might be ready for the robot umps after last night's Pirates game.

8th inning, should've had two walks, instead got two Ks - including two pitches taken that were >6" off the plate.

numlocation_io.php-pitchSel=606930&game=gid_2017_06_21_pitmlb_milmlb_1&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=&league=mlb&pnf=&zlpo=&cache=1.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom