A comparison of the worth of Rutgers as compared to UConn to the Big Ten Network | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A comparison of the worth of Rutgers as compared to UConn to the Big Ten Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I vote for Rumrunner to replace Warde

me 2 but i request that i get a position under him somewhere and that he makes sure the ad building is not a dry 1 on campus. :D

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Rumrunner - your cable demographic analysis is top notch. Seriously, I hope you email your findings and analysis out to the folks who have some say in UConn's CR.

Reaction Score
besides the questionable numbers and assumptions, you are completely ignoring the Fox/YES/BTN angle.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
besides the questionable numbers and assumptions, you are completely ignoring the Fox/YES/BTN angle.

Could you elaborate for us? Don't be lazy...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

so u think that Yes and FoxNews will get pulled until the b10N gets on? otherwise whats the pull?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

What's your angle? YES and Fox are carried in CT too. The only difference between us and RU is that when our content moves to a new station it is picked up within a week, without complaint, across the entire state.

Reaction Score
so u think that Yes and FoxNews will get pulled until the b10N gets on? otherwise whats the pull?

Cablevision will pull YES off the air if that is the way the game is played. Should that happen, the BTN ultimately loses and becomes a 2nd tier channel. YES will remain on basic in the area. It's the Yankees and politicians will get involved, local politics. You think christie/bloomberg/cuomo or successors will side with the BTN?

Reaction Score
Maryland is served by three DMA's, Baltimore, Salisbury, and Washington DC.
Salisbury's DMA is 159,000 tv households
Baltimore's DMA has 1,1000,000 tv households, and encompasses 9 MD counties.
Washington DC DMA has 2,389,000 tv households.

There are 800,000 MD households in Maryland in the Wash., DC DMA, including Montgomery (355,900 census households), Prince George's (302,000 census households) Frederick (85,000 census households), Washington and Alegany in Maryland.

There are approximately 1.3m households in Virginia in the Wash., DC DMA (including Loudon County 100,000 census households), Fairfax County (385,000 census households), Arlington (92,000 total census households) and quite a few others.

There are 260,000 District of Columbia census 260,000 households.

DMA's are a gov't induced creation. It is a grouping of local counties that are served by over the air local tv stations licensed in the DMA in which the local tv stations provide locally-oriented information. The DMA is supposed to reflect a core area that has a substantial poulation nucleus, including shared economic and social ties. DMA's extend across state lines. Congress has mandated that cable companies must provide carriage for local tv stations to continue this theme of local provision. That's why viewers in Fairfield County get local news from NY.

Regional sports networks are not covered by a must-be-provided mandate, so the cable company is free to provide, or not to provide, a particular rsn at its discretion using market forces.

Assuming that the Big Ten Network gets its footprint rate in the Salisbury and Baltimore DMA, the BTN will get 1,259,000*$.80=$1,000,000/month. Of course, the BTN might very well get more than $.80 a subscriber. The interplay will be the relative affluence of the population and the demand for the Univ. of Under Armour product.

What about the Washington DC DMA and the MD counties? Will it receive footprint subscriber fees for the MD counties? Probably.

DC-Washington.gif

Maryland Counties in the Washington DC DMA
800,000*$.80=$640,000/month

Total Maryland expected footprint revenue:$1,640,000/month.

As for the non-MD Washington DC DMA counties, some 1.5m household? That is a big question mark. With the high fan interest there of UVA and Virginia Tech, that is doubtful.

Of course, if say, UVA came into the picture the monetiztion of DC and the VA counties in the Washington DC DMA becomes much more likely. Virginia would then be opened up.

Can UVA be a southern version of UConn? Would it firm up DC? Would it command footprint fees in noVA, the tidewater area?

Still, so long as the BTN can command more than its average footprint fee in Connecticut, Connecticut is more lucrative to the BTN than Maryland. Maryland is home to the Orioles, Ravens. What will the BTN's carriage fee look like?

UConn has a track record of an rsn comung in and recognizing its value. Would Connecticut's 1m plus households command $1 per month? $2 per month? Would Malloy go to bat to get carriage like cuomo and bloomberg did in ny? Is Connecticut truly UConn country?

Would you call and demand that UConn be carried? Would Geno mobilize the senior citizen cptv crowd to get on extended basic? Would the men's fans demand UConn? Would the football team's likely schedule featuring penn state, ohio state, Wiscy, get football fans off the couch and dialing into cable companies?

Reaction Score
Hi guys this is my first post, and yes I am a Rutgers fan. Before I stir up a little trouble I'd like to say A) I love the potential for Rutgers-Uconn Rivalry B) Respect your what you guys have done with so little and so fast and C) I want UCONN in the BIG.

With that out of the way I don't think these numbers add up. Thats not to say UCONN doesn't have significant, but that the assumptions that OP makes are disingenuous. First he assumes Rutgers only gets $.80 and that uconn gets nearly $3.00. SNY carrier rates are the same in NJ as in conneticut. Second if UCONN were added the BTN would get the same in NJ as in Conn. Nj has 3x the households as Conn and is a much larger tv market. This doesn't include Philly or NYC which are both less than 50 miles from New Brunswick. UCONN doesn't offer a bigger base.

Now that you all hate me let me finish on a good note with you guys. What Uconn does have and Rutgers doesn't. Basketball. You guys have great basketball. Your academics are skyrocketing (research wise) and are growing fast. Rutgers doesn't deliver NYC by itself. It is the #1 alumni base in a city that is not a college town, and were not going to be able to change that ourselves. What we need is a rivalry to captivate and capture the #1 market in the country. Well other than Army and us you guys are the closest school D1 school, and are one of the largest alumni base too. You also have some influence on the Boston market. I hope the BiG sees your value and adds you along with UVA.

I like your school a lot (even if I hope you lose every game we play against you), but I just think the economic numbers OP presented are wrong.

PS: Really lazy don't feel like editing this post, so it's probably grammatically crap.

Reaction Score
UConn has a dedicated SNY Connecticut feed, New Jersey doesn't. If the value was the same, why didn't sny want to create a dedicated rutgers/nj feed?

It is this dedicated second feed that allows a network to command greater subscriber fees from the cable distributors.

You are right in this sense, the BTN numbers/above assumptions rely on UConn receiving more per subscriber of Connecticut households, than Rutgers does in New Jersey.

As for using the $.80 figure, NY/NJ share many of the same demographics, pro-sports orientation, lack of any dominant must-see school, etc. That $.80 figure is based on the fact that Pennsylvania, specifically eastern penn and philly have the lowest BTN penetration as of July 2012 as of any footprint state. That is, it has been five years and the BTN hasn't been able to persuade cable to carry it. After five years of no success, it makes business sense to alter your strategy (add reinforcement to the dma). I don't see anything that tells me Rutgers is "more valuable" to northern nj counties (or southern nj counties) than penn state is to eastern penn counties.

Here is Mark Silverman being quoted about lack of carriage in eastern penn:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...uto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/BigTenMD14.pdf

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Didn't really read the thread, but being from New Jersey, spending the first 18 years of my life less than a half hour away from Rutgers's main campus, I can say with some fair confidence that the only people in/from New Jersey who care about or watch Rutgers football (forget basketball, what a joke) with any kind of consistency are people who went to Rutgers. And even then, it's hardly like most Rutgers alum watch. A lot of people go to Rutgers because it's the cheap, in-state route to a degree and don't feel any kind of pride for or connection with the school, and thus could care less about the sports. So if Rutgers doesn't even really have a strong footing in NJ, how can they expect to reel in NY?

After my 4 years at UConn, I feel the polar opposite is true for Connecticut. It seems like it's kind of like Penn State where even if you don't end up attending, if you grow up in Pennsylvania, you grow up watching the games (because, let's be real, what else goes on in CT?). I've met people who go to Central, MCC, Southern, even Quinnipiac who are UConn fans.

I think the Big 10 is not taking any of this in to consideration and is going by population density and strictly by proxemics and wishful thinking.

Taking that in to consideration, it seems like, as has become a kind of consensus, our being beat by Rutgers has had more to do with ADs and school officials selling the schools than anything, and our side failed.

Reaction Score
Westchester and Putnam Counties I presumed. Took me a few minutes.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
yes both of those. dutchess is also pro uconn among those who watch college sports. the poughkepesi area has a good amount of uconn flavor in it.

Reaction Score
Westchester County has 345,000 census households. Logically, if these households were polled as to their demand for uconn fb, mbb, wbb, hockey, etc., versus Rutgers'' sports, UConn would win hands down.

Additionally, those who live there understand that the northern ny suburbs and Connecticut news are often grouped together, and never with New Jersey.

See e.g., the local ABC affiliate, Channel 7, http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/channel?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=7099868

It is entitled:

"No. Suburbs and Conn. News"

Reaction Score
Westchester County has 345,000 census households. Logically, if these households were polled as to their demand for uconn fb, mbb, wbb, hockey, etc., versus Rutgers'' sports, UConn would win hands down.

Additionally, those who live there understand that the northern ny suburbs and Connecticut news are often grouped together, and never with New Jersey.

See e.g., the local ABC affiliate, Channel 7, http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/channel?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=7099868

It is entitled:

"No. Suburbs and Conn. News"

Which is somewhat ironic that you bring up WABC, because even though here in southern CT where we frequently get both New York and Connecticut stations, ABC is the only network where we don't get both (I presume it has something to do with territoriality, and WTNH is the only one of the Big 4 CT market broadcasters based out of New Haven rather than Hartford). WCBS/WFSB for CBS, WNBC/WVIT for NBC, WNYW/WTIC for Fox; we used to get WPIX and WWOR when they weren't network affiliates, too, but I think they got shuffled off with the WB/UPN/CW "realignment". .

Reaction Score
Didn't really read the thread, but being from New Jersey, spending the first 18 years of my life less than a half hour away from Rutgers's main campus, I can say with some fair confidence that the only people in/from New Jersey who care about or watch Rutgers football (forget basketball, what a joke) with any kind of consistency are people who went to Rutgers. And even then, it's hardly like most Rutgers alum watch. A lot of people go to Rutgers because it's the cheap, in-state route to a degree and don't feel any kind of pride for or connection with the school, and thus could care less about the sports. So if Rutgers doesn't even really have a strong footing in NJ, how can they expect to reel in NY?

After my 4 years at UConn, I feel the polar opposite is true for Connecticut. It seems like it's kind of like Penn State where even if you don't end up attending, if you grow up in Pennsylvania, you grow up watching the games (because, let's be real, what else goes on in CT?). I've met people who go to Central, MCC, Southern, even Quinnipiac who are UConn fans.

I think the Big 10 is not taking any of this in to consideration and is going by population density and strictly by proxemics and wishful thinking.

Taking that in to consideration, it seems like, as has become a kind of consensus, our being beat by Rutgers has had more to do with ADs and school officials selling the schools than anything, and our side failed.

I grew up in New Jersey, attended Rutgers for my Undergradute degree and am currently a season ticket holder. My tailgate consists of a party of 10 and I'm the only alum.

To say "A lot of people go to Rutgers because it's the cheap, in-state route to a degree and don't feel any kind of pride for or connection with the school, and thus could care less about the sports." is outlandish. Consider the Rutgers football games attendance on record, averaging over 49K (12% increase from last year). Yes, Rutgers and UConn had the same crappy schedule this year. Consider Rutgers road attendance as second best in the Conference (behind Louisiville). Consider Nate Silver's WSJ Sept. 2011 article breaking out college football fans in the NYC TV marketplace. Consider Bill Nielson backing up Silver's article based on his data collected. Consider 57K current Undergraduate and Graduate students this year and an Alumni base that is growing. Consider a student section that packed in 11K - 12K per game except for the Army game this year. Coming from a Pro Sports area, College sports is followed by students and alumni who identify with their University and its no different at Rutgers, except for the fact that the Rutgers family is growing due to sheer size. In addition, there are many locals in Central and Northern Jersey who are attending and following and its backed up by TV ratings over the past 6 years including an ESPNU rating for the Rutgers - Arkansas game with the largest NYC market rating for an ESPNU game (certainly not national rating).

I find most people that express your opinion without any evidence either was not admitted to Rutgers or decided not to attend for various other reasons.

Reaction Score
I grew up in New Jersey, attended Rutgers for my Undergradute degree and am currently a season ticket holder. My tailgate consists of a party of 10 and I'm the only alum.

To say "A lot of people go to Rutgers because it's the cheap, in-state route to a degree and don't feel any kind of pride for or connection with the school, and thus could care less about the sports." is outlandish. -I also grew up in NJ. It is completely true. In fact one of my best friends brother is currently playing for RU. He has stated more than once that once his bro graduates he will never root for Rutgers football again.

Consider the Rutgers football games attendance on record, averaging over 49K (12% increase from last year). Yes, Rutgers and UConn had the same crappy schedule this year. - Congrats. Impressive attendance. Your program has done a nice job of generating buzz and with the stadium renovations it was great timing.

Consider Rutgers road attendance as second best in the Conference (behind Louisiville). - Ugh, link? I'm going to go ahead and say you pulled that out of your ass.

Consider Nate Silver's WSJ Sept. 2011 article breaking out college football fans in the NYC TV marketplace. - Your school is the only of the top 5 located in NYC TV market place. Consider your fans are from NJ not NY or NYC, but being from NJ makes significant inroads in the NYC Demographics despite the fact NY doesn't give a hoot about Rutgers football from my experiences as well.

Consider Bill Nielson backing up Silver's article based on his data collected. - No idea what your talking about, but if its stating you have fans in NJ and thus have good penetration in the NYC demo the homeless harmonicaman in Hartford could tell me and I'd believe him.

Consider 57K current Undergraduate and Graduate students this year and an Alumni base that is growing. Consider a student section that packed in 11K - 12K per game except for the Army game this year. -Again Congrats. Your attendance was strong and having an on campus easily accessible stadium helps that.

Coming from a Pro Sports area, College sports is followed by students and alumni who identify with their University and its no different at Rutgers, except for the fact that the Rutgers family is growing due to sheer size. In addition, there are many locals in Central and Northern Jersey who are attending and following and its backed up by TV ratings over the past 6 years including an ESPNU rating for the Rutgers - Arkansas game with the largest NYC market rating for an ESPNU game (certainly not national rating).

I find most people that express your opinion without any evidence either was not admitted to Rutgers or decided not to attend for various other reasons. -i got a near full ride to Rutgers and my sister played volleyball there. I agree with almost everything the other poster said I guess I fall into the category of decided not to attend.

What I don't understand is why RU fans continue to pump themselves up. Your in the B1G now and our fans are obviously jealous and upset that your team was chosen over ours. Instead of talking about your program, you now have a chance to actually become bigtime. Instead of harping on all the perceived advantages of your location and not your football record, go win important football games for a change. You can start by beating VPI.

I'm sorry, but I am tired of Rutgers fans. 0 conference championships in 100 billion years of football. Being born on 3rd base and finally scoring after all these years. Congrats on going to the B1G hoping an OOC rivalry game is established between the two of us, but I do not expect it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh sure if you ignore the 1869 shared National Championship that Wikipedia has bestowed on Rutgers.

Although they do mention that some think Princeton was the sole National Champion because they outscored Rutgers 12 goals to 6.

Sure they never won the Big East but those Middle Atlantic Conference championships can keep you warm at night.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is why RU fans continue to pump themselves up. Your in the B1G now and our fans are obviously jealous and upset that your team was chosen over ours. Instead of talking about your program, you now have a chance to actually become bigtime. Instead of harping on all the perceived advantages of your location and not your football record, go win important football games for a change. You can start by beating VPI.

I'm sorry, but I am tired of Rutgers fans. 0 conference championships in 100 billion years of football. Being born on 3rd base and finally scoring after all these years. Congrats on going to the B1G hoping an OOC rivalry game is established between the two of us, but I do not expect it.
1 national championship the first one. There was only supposed to be one game in 1869 and Rutgers won. We had a rematch for fun against princeton. It's recognized by the NCAA. Hence the claimed NC, since we were 1 of 2 teams. Also one Big East conference championship in football.

Reaction Score
Oh sure if you ignore the 1869 shared National Championship that Wikipedia has bestowed on Rutgers.

Although they do mention that some think Princeton was the sole National Champion because they outscored Rutgers 12 goals to 6.

Sure they never won the Big East but those Middle Atlantic Conference championships can keep you warm at night.
Again Princeton can try and claim, but the history of those games was that there was only supposed to be one game, and we won it. Princeton wanted a rematch on their soil because they didn't feel it fair. Regardless even still we are co-national champions and it counts because there was no one else. 1 NC 1 Big East championship.

Reaction Score
The first real game of gridiron football was McGill vs Harvard in 1874.

Reaction Score

As a Rutgers fan, I understand the UConn fans frustration and how upset you are. Our fan bases experienced this last year when Syracuse and Pitt left for the ACC. As much as I hate Syracuse, I decided not to participate on the Rutgers board topics about the issue for concern about the negative crap that I would write. Doesn't help anyone and my preference is to avoid that. I do apologize for responding. I believe the UConn fans and the Rutgers fans are not all that different. I could argue that I love my school and its teams just as much as you love UConn and its sports.

I'm just a fan, however, believe UConn will find its way into a good situation. Obviously as for when and where, that's anyone's guess. There's no way the B1G and SEC will stay at 14, and who knows about what the Big 12 is thinking, or should I stay Texas. SEC will start their network and just like the B1G will add to the inventory and content. How that happens, when it happens, is pure speculation, however, don't believe UConn is getting left out. For the President and AD, it is a powerless situation, which makes it even worse for the fans. Pernetti kept in touch with Delany since prior to the Nebraska expansion and he was so unsure about Rutgers invite that he didn't say anything until the press conference and the official notice from the B1G was in his hands. Its a powerless situation for everyone involved. Just my thoughts and doesn't help the present time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Again Princeton can try and claim, but the history of those games was that there was only supposed to be one game, and we won it. Princeton wanted a rematch on their soil because they didn't feel it fair. Regardless even still we are co-national champions and it counts because there was no one else. 1 NC 1 Big East championship.

Um congrats for winning a rugby game 150 years ago. Pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom