OT: - A/C | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: A/C

Reaction Score
We are putting in a mini split system for a/c and heat in our upstairs: 3 small bedrooms, hawway and a bathroom. We are in colder climate in New Hampshire north of Keene. We are Taking out the old cast iron radiators (5) which are steam heat, part of reason is to get rid of visible pipes going upstairs, also to improve efficiency and create zoned heat. To account for really cold temps when mini split isn't efficient, we are using secondary system, it's a propane combi-vent boiler that will 1) replace electric water heater but also 2) make hot water for mini split system to draw heat from during the coldest weather (20 degrees or less, not sure exact temp).
The cost scares me- quote we had was $22,000. Need to investigate more, this may also include (it better include for that price) installing ventilation in both bathrooms we have that currently have none. We will ask about price too because that's too much, didn't know you could negotiate. As it is, the insulation we also are putting in everywhere costs about the same ballpark amount.
One question I have, we aren't doing a/c downstairs. Even if the a/c is only upstairs, won't it still cool rest of house, or at least make it more comfortable & less humid?

As FL husky said, cooling upstairs only is tough because heat wants to reach equilibrium, so will spread throughout the house. Cold air is more dense, so will fall a bit, but your A/C unit will just run incessantly when the upstairs keeps rising temp.

Reaction Score
I think I'll keep buying non name brand 5000 btu window units as they go on sale for half price in the local grocery stores in August here in CT. Light enough to install and uninstall easily. These prices for central air are wild. I know if you're in the South you need it but wow what a budget breaker.

Reaction Score
I know we need more info from contractors and we'll ask for sure. One question is about reassigning where the mini-split heads go. We have 4 or 5 heads, assuming they can go anywhere, maybe we can put a couple downstairs to get A/C down there. We just don't want it to look out of place in 200 yr old home.
The other easy fix is to put up shades to block sun in first place and keep house from heating up so much. I bet a little of that will go a long way.
I get the point of heat going up and if a/c is only upstairs, then risk is the units will always be running. But, wouldn't whole house seem more comfortable if the humidity is reduced thru a/c? Even if temp is warmer downstairs, if overall the air is dryer, wouldn't we be able to tolerate it better? Or, is it still the same, the a/c units would be running & running? We could always program mini-split to be on only certain times of day too.
FWIW, we have solar panels on roof with room to add more.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I put in American Standard ( both furnace and A/C) 2 years ago. Works great. Much better than my older system. Where do you live?

My brother does a lot of HVAC work in Ffld Cty area, speaks highly of American Standard, which is a name more synonymous with urinals than a/c. Generally lower priced than Trane or Lenox but as good. I went with with Trane when I replaced two years ago, and that was strictly for the name as we'd planned on selling the house (unfortunately still here and will be for at least 2-3 more years) but it's really same system as American Standard, just not as stylish vis a vis outside package. Anyway, my brother walked me through options and tips on what the installer needed to do, saved me at least a grand if not more. If you're in Danbury area, I may be able to hook you up. Not sure if he's looking for more work right now.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents, when we were getting solar, our furnace crapped out. I needed a central a.c. unit as well. I wanted to roll it into solar loan, which was 0.99 for ten 10 years, and I was pressed against the calendar for the tax rebate. I didn't do my due diligence as a result I ended up with a decent regal furnace and what reviews tell me will be a crappy York system. Total price for new furnace and central a.c unit installed was 8400. I went with a contractor recommended by the solar company after I got 1 HVAC guy quote me 3 systems ranging from 17k, for traditional unit to 24k for unit using a heat pump. That guy was recommended by a friend but I feel he must have scraped her.

I use a wood stove insert as supplemental heating source as well.

I sorta regret not doing my due diligence with more calm and patience but that York unit while near the bottom of the rankings on energy efficiency, is replacing a unit over 25 years old which should result in a considerable savings in of itself.

Reaction Score
I would like to replace my hvac the builder put in 20 years ago. It's a rheems systems which is still kicking. But I read that most systems were designed for about 15 years longevity. Any real good and reliable hvac contractor in or near Madison?

Reaction Score
So far the proposals for a 4 ton run from $7 - 11k. Go figure.

Reaction Score
I think I'll keep buying non name brand 5000 btu window units
If your only consideration is cool, dehumidified air, then low-quality window A/Cs from Home Cheapo are the way to go. People don't buy mini-splits because they are the most affordable option to condition room air, they buy them, in lieu of window units, because:

They don't require install and uninstall every 6 months forever in multiple rooms.
They don't leave gaps in the window install through which bugs enter.
They aren't a very loud mood-killer constantly running in the background of every room and rattling like 72 buick going down a country dirt road in March.
They don't look like @55 hanging out of the windows of your house.
They are substantially more efficient than a window A/C unit, thereby saving electric every time they are turned on.
They efficiently produce heat, thereby allowing for a double function and room by room heating.

Apples to Oranges, unless you just want fruit, in which case buy the one that's cheaper. ;)

Reaction Score
Just an update - I'm about to pull the trigger on a minisplit system. A Friederich 33,000 BTU system, which is getting close to the largest size they make these things. Have a buddy who works for an HVAC company who is getting it for me for just under 2 grand. It has an inverter (important) and a variable speed compressor so it is very efficient even at lower loads. Will be using it to cool/heat our 1800 square foot main level, which is really well insulated. It is probably oversized, but at that price point, and with the inverter, there is really no reason not to go big - it should be able to heat down to 5 degrees, which is all but a handful of days around here.
Install should be very simple - hole in wall - hang inside unit, run lines to outside unit, which is on small slab, run 220 to outside unit. Probably a full day to install. Will advise after it is put in. My buddy says I'm going to be blown away by the performance of the unit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom