OT: - A/C | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: A/C

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
What would two mini splits cost, installed? The first estimate I got was $7,500, which seems high.

I am actually having one installed in the Florida room of our new house on Friday. We are getting a 9000 btu Mitsubishi unit for 2950 sans the electric. Does the 75oo include electric work? Is it one or two outside units?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I am actually having one installed in the Florida room of our new house on Friday. We are getting a 9000 btu Mitsubishi unit for 2950 sans the electric. Does the 75oo include electric work? Is it one or two outside units?

One outside condenser, two units inside. Installation will be easy - wall access via an unfinished garage. Electrical work is separate.

Reaction Score
Do you have a model # ?

The Mitsubishi's come as a kit with all of the parts required for install - so not difficult.

Reaction Score
I have 2 Thermopride condensers and 2 airhandlers that were used for only 7 years in my home 4 ton and 2 1/2 ton that I disconnected (they worked perfectly)when I switched my house to geothermal when oil was $4 a gallon. If anyone is interested I just listed them on Craigslist in hartford. Selling them cheap.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
One outside condenser, two units inside. Installation will be easy - wall access via an unfinished garage. Electrical work is separate.

Its a little high considering only one condenser but since you are in the Northeast I would assume its just that more expensive up there. Its not so far off from the cost in Florida. I had some initial sticker shock as well. Didn't know those mini splits were that costly.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What would two mini splits cost, installed? The first estimate I got was $7,500, which seems high.

That is very, very high.

For your edification, go to Home Depot and arrange for an estimate through their contractor services.

You don’t have to use them, but at least you’ll have a better idea of what kind of cost you’re looking at.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Minisplits - look at mitsubishi - they just actually came out with a new machine this year - you can have upto 3 air handlers (the part that goes in your room) attached to one outside condenser. $7500 is so high.

Apparently there's units that can handle up to 5 now? I was just quote $17k for a 5 unit LG system with one condenser. Such a huge investment but I'm not sure I can handle the heat all summer and I'm so sick of window units.

Anyone in Fairfield/New Haven county with good company suggestions? The above was from Sippin.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Apparently there's units that can handle up to 5 now? I was just quote $17k for a 5 unit LG system with one condenser. Such a huge investment but I'm not sure I can handle the heat all summer and I'm so sick of window units.

Anyone in Fairfield/New Haven county with good company suggestions? The above was from Sippin.
You don't have any existing duct work, old system, etc?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
You don't have any existing duct work, old system, etc?

The house was built before Lincoln was president, no duct work. A central system would probably cost me 2-3x as much.

Reaction Score
How are you going to get the forced air into the rooms without registers?

I can understand zone area temperature adjustment, but not individual room temperature adjustment.

I may not have understood your post.
I'm no expert but as I understand it the mini split system has no duct work. My daughter had it installed in her Queens apartment. There is a unit on the outside of her building that I believe is a cooling unit.
I believe she has 3 indoor units: 1 for each bedroom and a third larger unit for the remaining rooms so there is only 1 zone for say the kitchen and living room etc.

Poe

Reaction Score
I have a split level home with two attics, so I need two systems. Just got a quote for $19,500 for the "value" system (Payne Value Series) and $24,000 for their best system (Carrier Performance Series), plus other options between those prices ranges. I guess I'm stuck using those horrendous floor units (can't use window units, because my windows open from side to side). I don't want to put that kind of money into a house that we may not stay in for more than 5 years, but I guess I also have to think of reselling a house with no central air.

Reaction Score
The air handlers cost like $500 to the install company. Condenser upwards of $2500 for a 3 ton 19.2 seer so they double it. This is all negotiable - most people don't negotiate HVAC.

Don't be afraid to ask how they come to these prices. Most companies are exclusive with certain vendors so they only push Trane or whatever.

Daikin + Goodman are the same company
Carrier is Payne/ Bryant comfortmaker
Trane is American standard. And so on

Lots of these machines are actually the same and come with 3 badges and installers just put the brand badge on at install.

Reaction Score
Look out fly ac hustlers. There is a small cylinder unit with 3-4 wires in it. When it fails your compressor will stop. Most ac crooks will sell you a new compressor. 3000 +. The part is 20. Look out.

Reaction Score
1. Get a proper heat load calculation for your home.
2. Company is Key - newer machines are built for efficiency and not long usage - you will have issues - and you need yearly service or you will void your warranty.
3. Installation is key... like others have said - over charged / undercharged - wrong size duct work - unit too big /small these will all be issues in the future. Crap in your lineset can wreck your unit.

4. All the units suck - its the install that is key. What you are paying for is the noise level of the motors, a blanket on the inside to muffle the start/stop - seer rating. Manufacturers make it impossible to process warranty parts - so you want a large company that can actually afford to deal with all the BS.

Minisplits - look at mitsubishi - they just actually came out with a new machine this year - you can have upto 3 air handlers (the part that goes in your room) attached to one outside condenser. $7500 is so high.

Your sales guy should take AT LEAST 30 minutes scoping out the job - the machine he wants to sell you is the easy part - but all of the parts and measurements take time. If he doesn't get in attic / draw out your system design or account for all parts (PVC, Copper, Breakers/Panel) etc run away - He is just spitballing a number. Most HVAC companies first price will have 45-50% profit - negotiate.

If your sales guy doesn't know how much your job actually costs by doing a thorough analysis - dont trust that company.

Only work with licensed companies that pull permits & make sure they register your equipment - or when it breaks you are SOL on 10 years free part replacement. The county inspector is your best bet to review the quality of installs.
You're correct...the big chains pay a commission to the drivers who come to replace your HVAC. Wen't through this two years and replaced two gas furnaces and Air conditioning (up and downstairs). I got quotes from 5 different companies and went with a local guy who was a good 20% cheaper with Carrier equipment, hope that helps.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I have never had A/C. I have this giant industrial fan that sounds like a jet engine...put it on the highest speed right next to my bed. @UCYamsMD goes bonkers over it, so sometimes I bring it out just to get her riled up

Reaction Score
That is very, very high.

For your edification, go to Home Depot and arrange for an estimate through their contractor services.

You don’t have to use them, but at least you’ll have a better idea of what kind of cost you’re looking at.
Hope you get a smarter guy than I did for Windows. Showed him a quote for 11k from someone else, he goes through his spiel, breaks out his calculator, comes back with 14k, for cheaper windows. No thanks.

Reaction Score
I'm in the HVAC industry for one of the larger FL companies.

Most dishonest business out there and installing HVAC is one of the worst jobs and it's almost impossible to find guys that can do it right.

It's a license to steal especially when it gets hot and humid.

Reaction Score

Most dishonest business out there and installing HVAC is one of the worst jobs and it's almost impossible to find guys that can do it right.

Thats depressing.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Are there mini split that can be installed by the homeowner?

Reaction Score
We are putting in a mini split system for a/c and heat in our upstairs: 3 small bedrooms, hawway and a bathroom. We are in colder climate in New Hampshire north of Keene. We are Taking out the old cast iron radiators (5) which are steam heat, part of reason is to get rid of visible pipes going upstairs, also to improve efficiency and create zoned heat. To account for really cold temps when mini split isn't efficient, we are using secondary system, it's a propane combi-vent boiler that will 1) replace electric water heater but also 2) make hot water for mini split system to draw heat from during the coldest weather (20 degrees or less, not sure exact temp).
The cost scares me- quote we had was $22,000. Need to investigate more, this may also include (it better include for that price) installing ventilation in both bathrooms we have that currently have none. We will ask about price too because that's too much, didn't know you could negotiate. As it is, the insulation we also are putting in everywhere costs about the same ballpark amount.
One question I have, we aren't doing a/c downstairs. Even if the a/c is only upstairs, won't it still cool rest of house, or at least make it more comfortable & less humid?

Reaction Score
Are there mini split that can be installed by the homeowner?
I am not familiar with CT code but you should be able to. still need to pull a permit and abide by local codes & have an inspection.

Check with local bldg department they will tell you real quick.

Helps to be really technical - have gauges understand electric. You may need to upgraded your panel which requires electrical permit some times.

We occasionally install mini splits people buy online - usually only when it's slow because it's not as profitable as we like.

Reaction Score
I am not familiar with CT code but you should be able to. still need to pull a permit and abide by local codes & have an inspection.

Check with local bldg department they will tell you real quick.

Helps to be really technical - have gauges understand electric. You may need to upgraded your panel which requires electrical permit some times.

We occasionally install mini splits people buy online - usually only when it's slow because it's not as profitable as we like.
Appreciate the professional advice you have given. I’m contemplating a change from multiple window units to something easier for me. Might be able to do central air, no existing ductwork, but open attic and full cellar access. But those wall units intrigue me.

Reaction Score
@Conndog for that type of money you should have been handed a head load calculation on the spot during your sales call.

It's impossible to answer without that data. This will take into account the orientation, windows, insulation, etc.

A guess would be no that it would not cool the down stairs. It would run and run because they are built for a certain size of area.

Another piece of advice when buying - try to get a look inside the van - see if it is clean and organized - this will let you know if the company takes inventory seriously. If they don't they are passing on the cost of their inefficient behavior to you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom