A Bold Statement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Bold Statement

sun

Reaction Score
When we get the last injured person back, and we know how great she is. We are going to have , possibly for a month...the BEST UCONN women's team , one through nine in our entire history.
With the emergence of Azzi to the starting lineup, making the 2022 starters historically competitive with other teams.
There's no doubt that Paige is the most decorated freshman to ever attend UConn.
Paige's popularity alone is probably enough to lead many fans to agree with you that this UConn team is very special.
The combination of players including the seniors will never be assembled again.
It's up to the team to prove their legacy in the NCAAT and there won't be any room for excuses.
For this year's team, it's a NC or bust.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
first off, we don't know if paige, when she gets back this year, will be approximating the paige of last year. i suppose it's possible, considering it's paige, but that's a big ask. i'd encourage lowering expectations for now.

second, it will entirely change the dynamics of the team. maybe it will provide the tremendous lift we seem to assume ... but in the short haul, maybe not.

it was obvious paige was the heart of the team all last year and into this. now, the team has learned to operate at a high level without her, to everyone's benefit.

the problem. i fear, is that some of the team's dependence on paige will re-emerge.

it seems like caroline, due to her apparent self-confidence, and nika, because she's clearly accepted her role and her play was never dependent on paige, may be immune.

but will azzi become even less aggressive? already she's shown reluctance to be as assertive as she should be. with paige there to carry the load, will she defer even more, to the team's detriment? how about evina and christyn? will they increase their tendency to go into a shell offensively, as they have done at times in the past -- but are overcoming now, it seems.

we just don't know how adding a dominant, superior player of the year with so little time to adjust will affect things.

paige is plainly a plus. i hope her shadow on the court does not cause others to lose their edge.

Reaction Score
Ok fellow BYers, here we go. When we get the last injured person back, and we know how great she is. We are going to have , possibly for a month...the BEST UCONN women's team , one through nine in our entire history.
With the emergence of Azzi to the starting lineup, making the 2022 starters historically competitive with other teams.
Our bench, which has been playing lots of minutes this year, has made us a #10 ranked team.
I don't think any UCONN team in the past has brought subs in, the caliber we will have going forward.
Each player would be starters on 90% of the teams that are out there.
Pump the brakes. It is amazing how the beat-down of an overmatched opponent makes many on the BY believe that we are a shoe-in for the National title.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Our bench, which has been playing lots of minutes this year, has made us a #10 ranked team.
I don't think any UCONN team in the past has brought subs in, the caliber we will have going forward.
The latest installment of Boneyard over-the-topism.

I'm sorry, but our bench has not "made us the #10 ranked team". We were ranked #2 when we beat Notre Dame and lost Paige to injury. The only top 25 win since then has been over Tennessee, but then again, Auburn and Alabama are not and will not be top 25 teams as a result of beating the Vols. If we had been unranked at the time of Paige's injury, we would be nowhere close to #10 in the polls based on who we've beaten and lost to since then.

And I'm also sorry, but our measuring stick should not be "90% of the teams that are out there". There are about 350 Division I teams. Does it really matter if players #6 and below would start for teams outside the top 35? Mir is not only a starter for Virginia, but probably their best player, and yet she was unable to find a way to contribute significantly on the court for UConn.

Reaction Score
The 2000-2001 team would have beat this team by 25. And thats using the bench. This year's front line would have been decimated. Williams, Cash, and Jones would have rag dolled them with their quickness and aggression.
I don't think so...our frontline is much bigger now with AE coming off the bench. Cash would be wash with CW.

Reaction Score
Funny how everyone misses the point....the team I am talking about is when Paige gets back ( and she still is Paige). Azzi has shown the potential to be one of the best ( Taurasi didn't even start for the 2000-2001 team and avg. 10 points a game. )

Reaction Score
I don't think so...our frontline is much bigger now with AE coming off the bench. Cash would be wash with CW.
A wash? You probably should familiarize yourself with Swin Cash, an All American who's on the UConn wall and a member of the WBB Hall of Fame. Besides playing different positions, it wouldn't be a close comparison for impact. And UConn's current height wouldn't help them against that 2001 unit. Edwards and ONO might well foul out in a half.
To represent Bueckers' absence against Villanova, take out Taurasi and the 2001 team still beats them by at least 30.

Reaction Score
first off, we don't know if paige, when she gets back this year, will be approximating the paige of last year. i suppose it's possible, considering it's paige, but that's a big ask. i'd encourage lowering expectations for now.

second, it will entirely change the dynamics of the team. maybe it will provide the tremendous lift we seem to assume ... but in the short haul, maybe not.

it was obvious paige was the heart of the team all last year and into this. now, the team has learned to operate at a high level without her, to everyone's benefit.

the problem. i fear, is that some of the team's dependence on paige will re-emerge.

it seems like caroline, due to her apparent self-confidence, and nika, because she's clearly accepted her role and her play was never dependent on paige, may be immune.

but will azzi become even less aggressive? already she's shown reluctance to be as assertive as she should be. with paige there to carry the load, will she defer even more, to the team's detriment? how about evina and christyn? will they increase their tendency to go into a shell offensively, as they have done at times in the past -- but are overcoming now, it seems.

we just don't know how adding a dominant, superior player of the year with so little time to adjust will affect things.

paige is plainly a plus. i hope her shadow on the court does not cause others to lose their edge.
If nothing else, Paige has been watching Azzi and Ducharme and studying where they like to get the ball.
Thinking she’ll be able to deliver it to them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Azzi has become quite aggressive (unless you measure aggressiveness in Caitlin Units) in a number of games and Paige will only encourage that more. If Azzi passes up an open shot, Paige will be in her ear. And Azzi is maybe just as good as Paige in working her shots off of screens.

As far as Christyn and Evina, just keep them focused on defense and the offense will be there when needed.

Paige will distribute, get the ball into the right hands and other good stuff.

I think Paige will be pretty much herself offensively (she does so much in her mind) but I do not see how she can be as good as she was defensively so soon so others will have to cover and I guess more zone? . And maybe, her rebounding will be affected somewhat?

Reaction Score
Talented for sure. Let’s see how team chemistry plays out. I think some players hold on to the ball too much and things bog down. Can’t wait to see how it plays out next month!
Still early for euphoria, trophies still in their boxes. We've crapped it up out there in recent memory, so I agree to slow it down a little. Yes, good players are returning and when we are playing a swarming defense, on legs not fatigued, spreading the ball to open confident players, good things can happen. We've got players coming back from chronic injuries AND that chemistry you mention is still a work in progress. But yes, I can feel the tingle.

Reaction Score
Um….

2000-2001

Top 9
Svet Abrosimova - Caroline
Ashley Battle - Aubrey
Sue Bird - Paige
Swin Cash - Evina
Asjha Jones - Dorka
Shea Ralph - Nika
Kelly Schumacher - Liv
Diana Taurasi - Azzi
Tamika Williams - Aaliyah

Others on the roster
Maria Conlon
Marci Czel
Kennitra Johnson
Christine Rigby
Morgan Valley

It's impossible to read that list without incuding what they did AFTER the 2001 season. Up until then Bird had not made AA, nor Taurasi, and neither had won a NPOY award either. Of course there was the title in 2000 that kind of puts them ahead but if this year's UConn team wins the title I'd have to say that they come out on top of 2001. Most though can't ignore what happened after the loss to N. Dame.

I'll wait to coronate the 2022 team but in the future (in hindsight) the argument may be between 2022, 2023 and 2024. To use a phrase I hear a lot from Bueckers, "We are blessed".

Reaction Score
I've really only follow UConn closely since 2003....When Stewie was playing in her Junior and Senior years, I never had a doubt UConn was going all the way.

Reaction Score
Ok fellow BYers, here we go. When we get the last injured person back, and we know how great she is. We are going to have , possibly for a month...the BEST UCONN women's team , one through nine in our entire history.
Talk to me on April 4

Reaction Score
Um….

2000-2001

Top 9
Svet Abrosimova - Caroline
Ashley Battle - Aubrey
Sue Bird - Paige
Swin Cash - Evina
Asjha Jones - Dorka
Shea Ralph - Nika
Kelly Schumacher - Liv
Diana Taurasi - Azzi
Tamika Williams - Aaliyah

Others on the roster
Maria Conlon
Marci Czel
Kennitra Johnson
Christine Rigby
Morgan Valley
Your others on the roster--were some of my favorites; In that order: Maria Conlon, Morgan Valley, Ashley Valley, KJ, Big Rig, Marci Czel

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There's no doubt that Paige is the most decorated freshman to ever attend UConn
I feel there is a @Biff picture here

Reaction Score
Hard to compare potential/actual accomplishments; one is measured on paper, the other on hardwood.
Many of the players some fans like me liked--had few stats yet they became fun to watch. Others just tugged at your heart. If it is your school the Name on the front led to high emotions at game time.
I'd like to add an observation: The injury to Paige while extremely terrible had a very positives side: Caroline, Nika, Azzi, maybe every freshman, or sub--got to be observed playing at a higher level and some times long minutes getting developed earlier than they possibly would have been. Thank heaven for little gifts.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna roll with this squad from 2012-'13.

1) Heather Buck2) Stefanie Dolson3) Brianna Banks11) Moriah Jefferson
4) Caroline Doty5) Bria Hartley6) Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis7) Breanna Stewart
8) Kelly Faris9) Kiah Stokes10) Morgan Tuck
You beat me to it, Coco--this was UConn's most talented squad--five all-Americans and incredible depth. This current team is close, but five AA's is hard to match... If you want a bold statement, here it is: this was the greatest WBB college team EVER...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCONN defeats a poor team that is severely undermanned and we start talking like Jeff Judkins, "We can beat anybody.". I hope we don't have a Portland in our future before and during the tournament.

Reaction Score
Azzi has become quite aggressive (unless you measure aggressiveness in Caitlin Units) in a number of games and Paige will only encourage that more. If Azzi passes up an open shot, Paige will be in her ear. And Azzi is maybe just as good as Paige in working her shots off of screens.

As far as Christyn and Evina, just keep them focused on defense and the offense will be there when needed.

Paige will distribute, get the ball into the right hands and other good stuff.

I think Paige will be pretty much herself offensively (she does so much in her mind) but I do not see how she can be as good as she was defensively so soon so others will have to cover and I guess more zone? . And maybe, her rebounding will be affected somewhat?
I agree. I think Azzi will be aggressive.

The comment about Paige's defense is interesting, and has sort of been my concern with her return. She was playing at a pretty high level defensively, but I do think it might be hard to play as hard as she was playing earlier this year defensively. I just remember her being all over the place in the Seton Hall game. I do think Nika is somewhat of a defensive catalyst on the team, who is able to guard and press those smaller quicker guards. I think if we start PB, Azzi, and CW, Paige will have that responsibility which seems like a tough one especially coming off injury

I do think that in a month, almost 5 weeks since the meeting with the docs, I'm hoping she is super close to 100 percent health-wise and game wise.

To remain a bit on topic, I do think it may be premature to rank this team. But I like the optimism. Also, I always wonder if Sue Bird, truly believes that they should've beat ND in 01, or if she believes if they were healthy, they would've won. ND beat them twice that year, so it seems like they were just a tough matchup.

Reaction Score
. When we get the last injured person back, and we know how great she is. We are going to have , possibly for a month...the BEST UCONN women's team , one through nine in our entire history.
No attack and I respect everyone's opinion but this makes little cents for me at this time. Paige will not be coming back like she never skipped a beat. It will take a bit for her to go full speed, all athletes at every level have a time frame / re-injury fear to get over. I would be very surprised to see Geno giving her unlimited minutes either.

If nothing else, Paige has been watching Azzi and Ducharme and studying where they like to get the ball.
Thinking she’ll be able to deliver it to them.
She will get the ball to any player open anywhere on the court, anytime. It's her forte.
Hopefully the sooner the better.

Reaction Score

You beat me to it, Coco--this was UConn's most talented squad--five all-Americans and incredible depth. This current team is close, but five AA's is hard to match... If you want a bold statement, here it is: this was the greatest WBB college team EVER...
Heather, Brianna and Kiah are not the equal of Caroline, Azzi and Paige, who hasn't played since December.

Reaction Score
"Heather, Brianna and Kiah are not the equal of Caroline, Azzi and Paige, who hasn't played since December"

No, perhaps not--but did you forget players by the name of Stewie, Steph, MoJeff, Hartley, KML and Tuck? All of whom were All-Americans on various lists, and collectively won four straight NCAA titles? Certainly, we have a loaded team now but comparisons made to those Stewie's teams--presently--are premature and without merit. Many people think the Stewie team was the greatest WBB collegiate team ever and I agree...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom