A Blueprint For UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Blueprint For UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is all about the power of ONE. The right coach can take the "same" players and win. It's about management, attitude, expectations, preparation and performance. Better assistants, more focused practices, whatever...... It's not about Auburn's 4 stars vs UConn's 2 stars. It's about making whatever stars you have shine more brightly.
Susan Herbst understand's what it means and what it takes to be a change agent of that magnitude. She's the best example we have. We'll now see if Warde fits that bill with his hire. My money says he does and we will.

Reaction Score
Exactly. To me, a blueprint implies a complete plan. "Hire a good young coach" is not a complete plan. Auburn already had all the other pieces of the plan, they simply completed it.

UConn needs a complete plan, including more booster activity, wider recruiting networks, more exposure, better marketing, possible expansion of he Rent when needed, better academic support if needed, the list goes on and on. And yes, hiring a good young coach is a big piece of the puzzle, probably the only one we had in common with Auburn.

Agreed, especially the part about hiring a good young coach. A good young coach who will someday be lauded for being an outstanding recruiter. A good young coach who can become a "pied piper" or sorts. A good young coach who could sell ice boxes to the villagers on an Artic Circle township.

Reaction Score
I'll take that blueprint if it comes with an invitation to the SEC, access to fertile recruiting grounds, an 87,000 seat stadium, a recent national title, former heisman winners, and some pretty hot cheerleaders.

You forgot to mention suitcases full of cash to make it rain for certain player reps and family members and as long as the player himself does not 'know' about this, all is right in the NCAA.

Reaction Score
You forgot to mention suitcases full of cash to make it rain for certain player reps and family members and as long as the player himself does not 'know' about this, all is right in the NCAA.

Whatever. This is the way of the world for college football 2013.

I'm in for 5 hundy to secure the next Cam Newton.

Reaction Score
Auburn has 4 stars playing against 4 stars. We don't need 4 star players to win the AAC. Coaching absolutely matters.
My point was more to say that we get the right coach and we are on the outside ring of a national title shot is crazy.

Reaction Score
Doesn't this prove what a complete scam the search firms are? Malzahn was practically the coach in waiting under Chizik before he left for Ark St.

To some extent yes. But I might speculate that the announcement of a search firm would also provide a mechanism for the agent of a coach who is othewise considered unavailable, to communicate interest to a public university in a confidential manner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is all about the power of ONE. The right coach can take the "same" players and win. It's about management, attitude, expectations, preparation and performance. Better assistants, more focused practices, whatever...... It's not about Auburn's 4 stars vs UConn's 2 stars. It's about making whatever stars you have shine more brightly.
Susan Herbst understand's what it means and what it takes to be a change agent of that magnitude. She's the best example we have. We'll now see if Warde fits that bill with his hire. My money says he does and we will.

The question is whether we have to choose between immediate credibility and the best chance to win. I'm sure Warde would like to get a guy who immediately puts us in the conversation, but if a less "established" guy not from a big program appears to have better overall HC attributes does he still get the nod? A tough decision but the good news is that the field seems to be a deep one.

Reaction Score

Has the basketball teams achieved their current successes by coaching up "2 stars", or do they simply add a little polish to "4 stars"

Reaction Score

Taking Nostical one step further, Susan has to give the NEW HC the right Ammunition. The right ammunition says this.....football players are different. Stop looking for IVY qualified 4.0's get the point. LOWER THE ACADEMIC STANDARDS FOR 20 PLAYERS PER YEAR....All the best schools recognize this, even the IVY's having seen this upclose and personal with a close friend's son (no football scholarship...but the $$ magically appeard in the form of financial aid and he was / is not even close to a 4.0)

I want the best JUCO transfers and frosh and frosh redshirts out there even if they have a 2.0 GPA COMING IN. A locker room full of 2.1 to 2.75 guys who go 6'8" 310 animals across the front, running backs who are 240
with breakaway speed, linebackers who are absolute wildmen. This is about having ammo to succeed. SUZIE, take it from this OLD alum, hire an academic/player monitor at $75k a year and if you get the right ammo and the right HC , you will have
42,000 filled seats, not 25,000 at $30 a pop for 7 home games...that's an extra $3.5 million to the athletic dept and school. NOT TOO MENTION HAPPY ALUMNI DONATING TO THE UCONN FOUNDATION>

DO YOU THINK DUKE, BAYLOR, OHIO STATE, MADE THEIR SURGE WITH 4.0 students? For 20 new football players (term them as marketing representatives of the University) per year , their "JOB" is to sell the school by winning, getting a 2.1 (C average) an be good and smart citizens (that means don't get caught drinking and have the smarts to have a designated driver) .

Reaction Score
"In one short year Gus Malzahn has completely reversed the fortunes of an Auburn program that was in turmoil just 12 months ago. A team that was battered, beaten, demoralized and lost has found its way back into legitimate title consideration.

Auburn's turnaround from a 3-9 record in 2012 to 10-1, the No. 6 spot in the BCS standings and an Iron Bowl showdown with Alabama for the SEC West title in 2013 is nothing short of remarkable. A team that was shut out by a combined score of 87-0 in its final two SEC games last season is on the periphery of the national title race and all of the sudden relevant in the SEC again.

What's the reason for the remarkable one-year turnaround?

First-year head coach Gus Malzahn.

His mantra from Day 1 has been that it's "A New Day" in Auburn, and his most important sales job as the new coach on the block was selling that mantra to his team. It bought in. "That was the biggest thing they had to accomplish, and that was the thing that Gus focused on from the very beginning," AD Jay Jacobs said. "It all starts with trust and confidence, and that's why it was so important and Gus was so relentless in making sure he had the right staff, the right nine assistant coaches. Guys who are teachers, guys who are trustworthy and guys who are made of character."

But it wasn't just a change in the on-the-field coaching staff that turned around Auburn's fortunes, it was a change in the strength and conditioning program that has really helped the Tigers buckle down in the red zone. Ryan Russell, the team's strength and conditioning coach, came to Auburn from Arkansas State, and played a major role in the turnaround. The Tigers rank third in the conference in red-zone touchdown percentage (47.37 percent), and second in red-zone scoring percentage (73.68 percent).

"Maybe one of the most important things that Gus did was bring Ryan Russell in here," Jacobs said. "Your team is really built January through August, and the way these guys are conditioned and the condition that coach Russell has got them in, I'd say that's an easy area [of the turnaround] to overlook. But when you have a problem in that area, that's the first thing that pops out."

Of course, junior college transfer Nick Marshall's emergence as a legitimate dual-threat quarterback accelerated the transition process. Marshall leads SEC quarterbacks with 82.30 rushing yards per game, has tossed nine touchdown passes and is averaging 153.0 yards per game through the air. He was only on campus for five weeks before taking his first snap with the Tigers, and Malzahn has been impressed with his evolution within the system."

Warde, go get us the next Gus Malzahn.

Like it, however, Auburn has 4 things going for it that UConn doesn't have...1)Tradition (UConn is a new school in FB), 2)Location (Southeastern US vs Northeastern US), 3) 4 and 5 stars (granted some of them couldn't get into UConn, but they got 4 and 5 starts) and 4) what school is our RIVALRY game?? Their rival is 'Bama, what is ours?? Cincinnati?)

Reaction Score
Taking Nostical one step further, Susan has to give the NEW HC the right Ammunition. The right ammunition says this.....football players are different. Stop looking for IVY qualified 4.0's get the point. LOWER THE ACADEMIC STANDARDS FOR 20 PLAYERS PER YEAR....All the best schools recognize this, even the IVY's having seen this upclose and personal with a close friend's son (no football scholarship...but the magically appeard in the form of financial aid and he was / is not even close to a 4.0)

I want the best JUCO transfers and frosh and frosh redshirts out there even if they have a 2.0 GPA COMING IN. A locker room full of 2.1 to 2.75 guys who go 6'8" 310 animals across the front, running backs who are 240
with breakaway speed, linebackers who are absolute wildmen. This is about having ammo to succeed. SUZIE, take it from this OLD alum, hire an academic/player monitor at $75k a year and if you get the right ammo and the right HC , you will have
42,000 filled seats, not 25,000 at $30 a pop for 7 home games...that's an extra $3.5 million to the athletic dept and school. NOT TOO MENTION HAPPY ALUMNI DONATING TO THE UCONN FOUNDATION>

DO YOU THINK DUKE, BAYLOR, OHIO STATE, MADE THEIR SURGE WITH 4.0 students? For 20 new football players (term them as marketing representatives of the University) per year , their "JOB" is to sell the school by winning, getting a 2.1 (C average) an be good and smart citizens (that means don't get caught drinking and have the smarts to have a designated driver) .

Sorry, I have to disagree on the lowering of Standards. The average time in the NFL is only 5 years, if you have to lower the standards to play FB we should drop it. I want the people - AFTER their playing days to start their life doing what their degree is in (for instance, if Joe Smith has a 4.0 GPA, 3 star, went to UConn and got drafted by the Giants and graduated from UConn with a degree in architecture, I hope he'll use it after he retires to design buildings, and not to waste his life going into bankruptcy!). I'm not looking for MIT students for UConn, but Stanford, Northwestern and GT would be the standards we should be looking at -- not the stereotypical 'Football player' that is dumber than a box of rocks!

Reaction Score
Sorry, I have to disagree on the lowering of Standards. The average time in the NFL is only 5 years, if you have to lower the standards to play FB we should drop it. I want the people - AFTER their playing days to start their life doing what their degree is in (for instance, if Joe Smith has a 4.0 GPA, 3 star, went to UConn and got drafted by the Giants and graduated from UConn with a degree in architecture, I hope he'll use it after he retires to design buildings, and not to waste his life going into bankruptcy!). I'm not looking for MIT students for UConn, but Stanford, Northwestern and GT would be the standards we should be looking at -- not the stereotypical 'Football player' that is dumber than a box of rocks!
I think you need to get your head out of your A**. Of course they will graduate but the standards can be relaxed. You have to get real!!!!! do you think that the aforementioned schools don't have different standards for 10 out of the 20 new scholarships that are handed out each year?? You are a fool if you think they don't. Have witnessed it and seen it up close and personal. EVEN IN THE IVY'S, the coaches have a limited discretion of up to 8 to 10 players that don't have to meet 4.0 standards. You need to smarten up because at a UCONN, you can and should bring in students that can market and represent your university well, will graduate, get great jobs and they don't have to be 4.0 students. Once a football player gets on campus, I have seen that their OWN Competetive spirit and drive will propel and drive them to a high 2.75 to 3.25. They know, if red-shirted they have 5 years plus going to school in the summer to get a degree from a great school. ...and have a shot at sunday but that most don't make it too Sunday...and believe me if you have ever lived on campus with 20,000 students and half have very short skirts, it is a place you want to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
As much as people will hate hearing this Edsall provided the blueprint (recruiting/coaching up). Just needs to improved upon (personality/more aggressive QB/WR recruiting).
I think Edsall often ignored the stars and recruited more on personality/attitude. People talk about "coaching up". I think 90% of "coaching up" is the player himself. You need self motivated players that are willing to put in extra time in the weight room or working with their position coach to improve their skills. This extra work has to be done intensely and not just going through the motions. Edsall would always point out on signing day how many team captains there were, how many National Honor Society members there were...... Signs that the members of the class were motivated and leaders. I would much rather see a class full of highly motivated one and two star players than a class full of 3 star players that go through the motions.

Reaction Score
I think you need to get your head out of your A* . Of course they will graduate but the standards can be relaxed. You have to get real!!!!! do you think that the aforementioned schools don't have different standards for 10 out of the 20 new scholarships that are handed out each year?? You are a fool if you think they don't. Have witnessed it and seen it up close and personal. EVEN IN THE IVY'S, the coaches have a limited discretion of up to 8 to 10 players that don't have to meet 4.0 standards. You need to smarten up because at a UCONN, you can and should bring in students that can market and represent your university well, will graduate, get great jobs and they don't have to be 4.0 students. Once a football player gets on campus, I have seen that their OWN Competetive spirit and drive will propel and drive them to a high 2.75 to 3.25. They know, if red-shirted they have 5 years plus going to school in the summer to get a degree from a great school. ...and have a shot at sunday but that most don't make it too Sunday...and believe me if you have ever lived on campus with 20,000 students and half have very short skirts, it is a place you want to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but I'll still demand the STANDARDS not be lowered. If we need to lower our GPA standards to get 4 or 5 stars, then we need to disband it! We can become the Stanford/ Northwestern of the East Coast.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
HuskyDogArt said:
Sorry, but I'll still demand the STANDARDS not be lowered. If we need to lower our GPA standards to get 4 or 5 stars, then we need to disband it! We can become the Stanford/ Northwestern of the East Coast.

You do realize that for most of it's history Northwestern has sucked right?

As for Stanford it would be easier to build an Ohio State here than Stanford.

The goals need to be realistic. We'll be the next Stanford! You may as well say the goal is to win the Super Bowl.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Standards are fine but not everyone needs to be a top notch student. That was a complaint of FHCRE that the standards were too high. I think being relaxed a bit is not a bad thing. This is not the Ivy league nor will it every be.

P.S. Harvard lower their standards to attract better players in football and basketball.

Reaction Score

Really? Stick to advocating dropping the program because if we can't make reasonable exceptions to compete at the top level then you're probably right. As for Stanford / Northwestern you should put the pipe down. Nobody's going to watch our dominant chess club in 30 degree temps at The Rent..

Reaction Score
I think you need to get your head out of your A* . Of course they will graduate but the standards can be relaxed. You have to get real!!!!! do you think that the aforementioned schools don't have different standards for 10 out of the 20 new scholarships that are handed out each year?? You are a fool if you think they don't. Have witnessed it and seen it up close and personal. EVEN IN THE IVY'S, the coaches have a limited discretion of up to 8 to 10 players that don't have to meet 4.0 standards. You need to smarten up because at a UCONN, you can and should bring in students that can market and represent your university well, will graduate, get great jobs and they don't have to be 4.0 students. Once a football player gets on campus, I have seen that their OWN Competetive spirit and drive will propel and drive them to a high 2.75 to 3.25. They know, if red-shirted they have 5 years plus going to school in the summer to get a degree from a great school. ...and have a shot at sunday but that most don't make it too Sunday...and believe me if you have ever lived on campus with 20,000 students and half have very short skirts, it is a place you want to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realize that for most of it's history Northwestern has sucked right?

As for Stanford it would be easier to build an Ohio State here than Stanford.

The goals need to be realistic. We'll be the next Stanford! You may as well say the goal is to win the Super Bowl.

HDArt, please refer to Colt house's earlier post. If UConn is gonna try and compete at the big boy level, then it needs to act like the big boys. As for Stanford . . . . for too much of the 20th century, UConn tried to be "Yale" and that failed miserably. They needed to try to be like one of the southern schools or mid western schools. They were never gonna be Ivy and they should have settled on the prototypical "State U" model.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

And the ability to manage all that goes on the program and motivate the players and staff is the post important part of the CEO job that is the head coach.

Getting the right nine assistants… making sure that the conditioning coach is the best available and motivates… working out the schemes and plans to motivate the guys with the cleats. There's where he turned around a program, with kids rated similarly to the rest of his conference.

That's the part of the job, the leadership not the management, that we need.

Reaction Score
Standards are fine but not everyone needs to be a top notch student. That was a complaint of FHCRE that the standards were too high. I think being relaxed a bit is not a bad thing. This is not the Ivy league nor will it every be.

P.S. Harvard lower their standards to attract better players in football and basketball.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/s...ivy-league-some-math.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/s...ivy-league-some-math.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The link provides an explanation of Ivy League methodology for athletic admissions. The chart, at article left, demonstrates options for calculating the "Academic Index." According to the article, the AI runs from a minimum of 176 to a max of 240. My understanding is that there is a sliding scale that allows a Columbia or Cornell more leeway within the range than one of the "Trinity" (Harvard, Yale, Princeton). The interesting thing is that each school is made aware of league-wide individual and team AI's. Kind of like a recruiting salary cap.

Reaction Score

You know the average of a pro FB player is 3 years?? What will he do with that major in 'Underwater Basket Weaving'? I don't think there's money in that field!!

Reaction Score
HDArt, please refer to Colt house's earlier post. If UConn is gonna try and compete at the big boy level, then it needs to act like the big boys. As for Stanford . . . . for too much of the 20th century, UConn tried to be "Yale" and that failed miserably. They needed to try to be like one of the southern schools or mid western schools. They were never gonna be Ivy and they should have settled on the prototypical "State U" model.

If you want UConn to be like the Gators I guess you want the THUGS that come with it?? Tell me, have you read the charges that Aaron had while he was at Florida? I think within Florida, (at UF, FSU, Miami, USF, UCF and FAU) you could have a football team for the CRIMINALS from those school!! (A RF QB at FAU was arrested for stealing at K Mart.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom