A Blueprint For UConn | The Boneyard

A Blueprint For UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"In one short year Gus Malzahn has completely reversed the fortunes of an Auburn program that was in turmoil just 12 months ago. A team that was battered, beaten, demoralized and lost has found its way back into legitimate title consideration.

Auburn's turnaround from a 3-9 record in 2012 to 10-1, the No. 6 spot in the BCS standings and an Iron Bowl showdown with Alabama for the SEC West title in 2013 is nothing short of remarkable. A team that was shut out by a combined score of 87-0 in its final two SEC games last season is on the periphery of the national title race and all of the sudden relevant in the SEC again.

What's the reason for the remarkable one-year turnaround?

First-year head coach Gus Malzahn.

His mantra from Day 1 has been that it's "A New Day" in Auburn, and his most important sales job as the new coach on the block was selling that mantra to his team. It bought in. "That was the biggest thing they had to accomplish, and that was the thing that Gus focused on from the very beginning," AD Jay Jacobs said. "It all starts with trust and confidence, and that's why it was so important and Gus was so relentless in making sure he had the right staff, the right nine assistant coaches. Guys who are teachers, guys who are trustworthy and guys who are made of character."

But it wasn't just a change in the on-the-field coaching staff that turned around Auburn's fortunes, it was a change in the strength and conditioning program that has really helped the Tigers buckle down in the red zone. Ryan Russell, the team's strength and conditioning coach, came to Auburn from Arkansas State, and played a major role in the turnaround. The Tigers rank third in the conference in red-zone touchdown percentage (47.37 percent), and second in red-zone scoring percentage (73.68 percent).

"Maybe one of the most important things that Gus did was bring Ryan Russell in here," Jacobs said. "Your team is really built January through August, and the way these guys are conditioned and the condition that coach Russell has got them in, I'd say that's an easy area [of the turnaround] to overlook. But when you have a problem in that area, that's the first thing that pops out."

Of course, junior college transfer Nick Marshall's emergence as a legitimate dual-threat quarterback accelerated the transition process. Marshall leads SEC quarterbacks with 82.30 rushing yards per game, has tossed nine touchdown passes and is averaging 153.0 yards per game through the air. He was only on campus for five weeks before taking his first snap with the Tigers, and Malzahn has been impressed with his evolution within the system."

Warde, go get us the next Gus Malzahn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll take that blueprint if it comes with an invitation to the SEC, access to fertile recruiting grounds, an 87,000 seat stadium, a recent national title, former heisman winners, and some pretty hot cheerleaders.

He's done a nice job, but winning at Auburn and winning in Storrs (or E Hartford) don't have the same degree of difficulty.

Reaction Score
As much as people will hate hearing this Edsall provided the blueprint (recruiting/coaching up). Just needs to improved upon (personality/more aggressive QB/WR recruiting).

Reaction Score
I'll take that blueprint if it comes with an invitation to the SEC, access to fertile recruiting grounds, an 87,000 seat stadium, a recent national title, former heisman winners, and some pretty hot cheerleaders.

He's done a nice job, but winning at Auburn and winning in Storrs (or E Hartford) don't have the same degree of difficulty.

Don't forget the boosters willing to give out as much cash as necessary to secure the recruits

Reaction Score

They were 3-9 with the same players a year ago. Their 4 and 5 star recruits were 0-9 vs. everyone else's 4 and 5 star recruits.

You have totally missed the OP's very correct point. Coaching matters . . .

Reaction Score
Coaching does matter. But to suggest that comparing Auburn's fortunes to our own situation is a fair expectation is pretty off.

Reaction Score
They were 3-9 with the same ing players a year ago. Their 4 and 5 star recruits were 0-9 vs. everyone else's 4 and 5 star recruits.

This is exactly right.
UCONN doesn't need to go 12-0 in the SEC. We aren't in the SEC. We need to be very good in the AAC. Auburn won 3 games last year with almost the exact same team on the field. The only change was the coaching staff.

We need a coach like Malzahn, who will come in and implement a system that fits the players we have, and adapts when new players come in. We don't need 4-5 star players for that.

Reaction Score
Coaching does matter. But to suggest that comparing Auburn's fortunes to our own situation is a fair expectation is pretty off.

The OP didn't suggest this . . .

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They were 3-9 with the same ing players a year ago. Their 4 and 5 star recruits were 0-9 vs. everyone else's 4 and 5 star recruits.

I didn't miss it at all. Coaching matters at all levels. But coaching up 4-5 star kids at one of the top programs in the country leads to very different results than with the kids we have. If UConn hired Malzahn himself last year, we would still not be over .500 right now.

So while it matters a lot, it would not be the quick fix it was at Auburn.

Reaction Score
The Auburn situation is less of a quick fix than it may appear. Because of red shirts and the timing of his departure , and return, Malzahn is responsible for the evaluation and recruitment of most of his offensive starters. When Malzahn left AU there was almost an open revolt by the players and many large boosters. They recognized that most of their success was a result of him not Chizik. Chizik talked a good game but the people I know who are close to AU FB always felt he was a little lazy and very disorganized. Among other places this manifested itself in very poor player discipline both on and off the field. From the day Malzahn left AU for ASU Chizik's days were numbered and there was little doubt that Malzahn would return to AU as head coach.

Reaction Score
Would we be 0-9?

I do not debate that everything is relative to the competition you face.

Everyone needs to hire the right coach.

But hiring the right coach for Auburn may not be the right coach for UConn.

Auburn is hardly the blueprint we should be following.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you asked me six weeks ago, I'd have felt confident about a return to bowl eligibility. Not so sure now. It will depend heavily on the contribution of P's recruiting rSo and rFr classes and new staffs off seadon of development whomever is left.

Not a cinch by any stretch. I am banking on big linemen and a competent D don't need a lot of special skills.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to hire the right coach.

But hiring the right coach for Auburn may not be the right coach for UConn.

Auburn is hardly the blueprint we should be following.

Exactly. To me, a blueprint implies a complete plan. "Hire a good young coach" is not a complete plan. Auburn already had all the other pieces of the plan, they simply completed it.

UConn needs a complete plan, including more booster activity, wider recruiting networks, more exposure, better marketing, possible expansion of he Rent when needed, better academic support if needed, the list goes on and on. And yes, hiring a good young coach is a big piece of the puzzle, probably the only one we had in common with Auburn.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Brilliant use of resources by Auburn. Malzahn was a completely unknown commodity to them, other than the fact he was the OC for four years including the national championship year.

Doesn't this prove what a complete scam the search firms are? Malzahn was practically the coach in waiting under Chizik before he left for Ark St.

No way to know. It depends who else was in the running for the position, both privately and publicly.

In my opinion, it is 98.3919191(repeating)% probable that the next head coach for UConn is not currently, and has never been, on the UConn coaching staff.

Reaction Score

Auburn has 4 stars playing against 4 stars. We don't need 4 star players to win the AAC. Coaching absolutely matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom