OT: - A bit of good news USC set to open classes in the fall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: A bit of good news USC set to open classes in the fall

Reaction Score
Being tired of the whole "USC" thing, I always just type "SCar" on message boards and only use "USC" when talking to family and friends in the state that has an official abbreviation of "SC." Of course, my contrariness makes me use "Southern Cal" when referring to the Trojans at all times.

I think it is a trait of immaturity. People say, "when I saw the title, I thought.....". But if all you need to know about a topic can be put into a title, then there'd never be a reason to open the thread. So that means, most of the time you read a thread title, you don't know entirely what you'll read once you enter the thread. So why make such a big deal about the fact?

People from South Carolina have just as every right to call the University of South Carolina "USC", as people from California call the University of Southern California. People rarely make comments of confusion about threads regarding "UT" if it's about universities in Texas or Tennessee, or about "MSU" if it's universities in Mississippi or Michigan, or Missouri, or Montana, for that matter. Not sure why this one is so special.

In most all cases, the thread topic tells the readers very quickly which school the thread is talking about, and that's why you click on the threads to begin with.....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Living in California, USC is always University of Southern California. I guess they call it USC too, but to me it will always be SC or South Carolina.

HuskieinSC is absolutely correct in referring to the University of South Carolina as USC!!! I have no problem with its use in his comments. Sports fans understand and acknowledge that there is more than one “USC”, just like there are several schools that are referred to as “OSU”. In the southeast region of the country, a reference to USC would be assumed to mean South Carolina.

To the majority of the country and especially division one football fans, USC is assumed to reference So. Cal. If for no other reason than So Cal football has been a higher profile program over the last 60 years than South Carolina.

Blame the news media if you will. They‘ve used USC in reference to So Cal for over 80 years. I did some research, and found newspaper articles from the 40’s that used “USC“ in reference to So Cal. If you were to visit the campus of Texas, Norte Dame, Michigan, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Ohio State, Arizona, Oregon, and mention “USC”, chances are they‘d think you‘re referring to So Cal. For that reason, I never use USC in my comments, as I do not to use initials in reference to people so as not to confuse those who would read my narratives. I always spell out which program or person I’m referring to.

Here’s a reference that I think best describes how ”USC” is perceived by the majority news/sports media and fans across the country. Google “USC”, and see what comes up. Keep in mind that Google is a world wide search engine used by millions that is merely a reference tool, and has no dog in this race. I wrote this comment BEFORE I saw Kaizen’s post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is news.

From the standpoint of CDC guidelines, it may not be "a bit of good news".

A family member from Los Angeles tells me that USC stands for

University of Spoiled Children.

Let the jousts begin.
That's certainly true for celebrity kids that get into USC because of a picture taken on a rowing machine and falsified documents!

Reaction Score
In the football-centric world of college sports, USC is Southern Cal just as UT is Texas.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter. They both can be USC within context. I'm a Gamecock fan that's perfectly capable of understanding that USC isn't South Carolina to everybody. When I moved to NYC after college and people asked where I went to school I always said South Carolina, and they immediately knew the Gamecocks. Why complicate things by having to explain which USC. Not worth the extra breath.

Reaction Score
USC and UCLA have a great rivalry that goes back decades. It's the west coast version of the Duke-UNC rivalry. No love lost between those schools for sure!
I always suspected that USC didn’t field a softball team because they feared being humiliated by UCLA every year.

Reaction Score
USC is a long standing prestigious institution of higher learning. It’s a “private” university that does not receive any financial assistance from outside government sources. USC has plenty of money. There is no shortage of students wanting to enroll each year. There is an on going building program that has new buildings and facilities going up year round.

Graduates of USC (Troy) are a proud people. My brother happens to a proud USC graduate with a master’s degree. UCLA and USC graduates don’t have a problem finding gainful employment. People that refer to USC as “spoiled children“ is nothing more jealousy rearing its ugly head. The spoiled children dig has been around for decades (at least 60 years). It’s not a new observation.

Remember the recently exposed scandals of rich folks that paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to “buy” their children’s way in to USC? That alone should tell you how USC is perceived here on the west coast. Regardless of how some may perceive it, USC is doing just fine. I would have loved to have gone there, unfortunately it was well out of our price range. Even with financial aid (if you can qualify) it’s still very expensive to enroll there.
Minor correction. USC like Harvard and many other private institutions around the United States do receive significant federal assistance through the student guaranteed loan program. There is only one institution of higher learning in the United States that takes zero federal assistance and that's Hillsdale college.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Minor correction. USC like Harvard and many other private institutions around the United States do receive significant federal assistance through the student guaranteed loan program. There is only one institution of higher learning in the United States that takes zero federal assistance and that's Hillsdale college.

Actually two institutions ... if you include Hillman College... the real HU

30249c_37b7350d52834177a915f1e8500f32da_srz_967_412_85_22_0-50_1-20_0-00_png_srz.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom