OT: - A bit of good news USC set to open classes in the fall | The Boneyard

OT: A bit of good news USC set to open classes in the fall

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
It is news.

From the standpoint of CDC guidelines, it may not be "a bit of good news".

A family member from Los Angeles tells me that USC stands for

University of Spoiled Children.

Let the jousts begin.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It is news.

Let the jousts begin.
USC and UCLA have a great rivalry that goes back decades. It's the west coast version of the Duke-UNC rivalry. No love lost between those schools for sure!

Reaction Score
I wonder if a few of these announcements will start an avalanche of similar ones. Remember the shutdowns from the virus? Once a few states and locals started shutting down it was like everyone else was a copycat waiting for somebody else to make the move before they did. I suspect we will get many schools announcing now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Living in California, USC is always University of Southern California. I guess they call it USC too, but to me it will always be SC or South Carolina.

For some reason, when I first saw this title, I knew the OP was referring to South Carolina. Eric, that’s also how I refer to South Carolina (SC), or I will spell it out so as not to confuse my readers. If it had been our USC, I would have heard about it on one or more of our local news broadcasts long before it made its way to the boneyard.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It does appear that most states are planning/hoping to have colleges and universities open for business, in some fashion, by September. CT is planning to be open, although no final decisions have been made. One of the big questions for colleges and universities will obviously be whether or not to bring back sports, and how to do so.

As I sit in front of my tv this morning watching Korean Baseball you begin to realize the numerous challenges involved. No fans, umpires and coaches wearing masks, remote American announcers at their homes and frequent testing and temperature checks for coaches & players.

For the NCAA, which sports to bring back? Non-contact vs contact? Will sufficient testing be available? What happens if 1 or more players test positive? Are older coaches like Geno Auriemma, who’s dealt with a few health issues, at risk? How do you maintain safe practices in locker rooms, sidelines and for travel on planes and buses?

Finally, James Franklin, the HC for Penn State football has thrown out another issue. With each state charting there own path back to “normalcy”, what happens if, for instance, only 75% of teams decide to play? The Big spans a wide geographic expanse from NJ, across the upper Midwest and out to Nebraska. Many of the schools in the Big are in states that are in the middle of their battle against Covid-19. If we look at the NBE, its geographic expanse is similar, with one notable difference. Many of the NBE schools are located in hotspots like NYC, DC and Chicago.

I continue to be cautiously hopeful as I sit here watching Korean baseball. For those that care to tune in, it’s not half bad.....

Reaction Score
Being tired of the whole "USC" thing, I always just type "SCar" on message boards and only use "USC" when talking to family and friends in the state that has an official abbreviation of "SC." Of course, my contrariness makes me use "Southern Cal" when referring to the Trojans at all times.

Reaction Score
George Mason is currently planning on in person classes for the fall semester. My son just got the information yesterday at registration.

Reaction Score
Students are youthful and, for the most part, able to handle recovery. Those who have health problems should sit the year out or take online classes only.

Of course, the virus will spread like wildfire through many campuses because young people are going to - uhm- fail to distance socially.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
How do you maintain safe practices in locker rooms, sidelines and for travel on planes and buses?

Partial answer-

image.jpeg

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
It does appear that most states are planning/hoping to have colleges and universities open for business, in some fashion, by September. CT is planning to be open, although no final decisions have been made. One of the big questions for colleges and universities will obviously be whether or not to bring back sports, and how to do so.

As I sit in front of my tv this morning watching Korean Baseball you begin to realize the numerous challenges involved. No fans, umpires and coaches wearing masks, remote American announcers at their homes and frequent testing and temperature checks for coaches & players.

For the NCAA, which sports to bring back? Non-contact vs contact? Will sufficient testing be available? What happens if 1 or more players test positive? Are older coaches like Geno Auriemma, who’s dealt with a few health issues, at risk? How do you maintain safe practices in locker rooms, sidelines and for travel on planes and buses?

Finally, James Franklin, the HC for Penn State football has thrown out another issue. With each state charting there own path back to “normalcy”, what happens if, for instance, only 75% of teams decide to play? The Big spans a wide geographic expanse from NJ, across the upper Midwest and out to Nebraska. Many of the schools in the Big are in states that are in the middle of their battle against Covid-19. If we look at the NBE, its geographic expanse is similar, with one notable difference. Many of the NBE schools are located in hotspots like NYC, DC and Chicago.

I continue to be cautiously hopeful as I sit here watching Korean baseball. For those that care to tune in, it’s not half bad.....
It is just this type of careful and thoughtful analysis that offers confidence that as chairman of the Boneyard Education And Sports Task (BEAST) Force you will find a way to satisfy health, educational and recreational needs to provide a way for we unwashed masses to enjoy UConn women's basketball in autumn.

Gotta love the 'dude.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It is news.

Let the jousts begin.

USC is a long standing prestigious institution of higher learning. It’s a “private” university that does not receive any financial assistance from outside government sources. USC has plenty of money. There is no shortage of students wanting to enroll each year. There is an on going building program that has new buildings and facilities going up year round.

Graduates of USC (Troy) are a proud people. My brother happens to a proud USC graduate with a master’s degree. UCLA and USC graduates don’t have a problem finding gainful employment. People that refer to USC as “spoiled children“ is nothing more jealousy rearing its ugly head. The spoiled children dig has been around for decades (at least 60 years). It’s not a new observation.

Remember the recently exposed scandals of rich folks that paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to “buy” their children’s way in to USC? That alone should tell you how USC is perceived here on the west coast. Regardless of how some may perceive it, USC is doing just fine. I would have loved to have gone there, unfortunately it was well out of our price range. Even with financial aid (if you can qualify) it’s still very expensive to enroll there.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is just this type of careful and thoughtful analysis that offers confidence that as chairman of the Boneyard Education And Sports Task (BEAST) Force you will find a way to satisfy health, educational and recreational needs to provide a way for we unwashed masses to enjoy UConn women's basketball in autumn.

Gotta love the 'dude.
Thank you for the promotion.....I think. Does it include compensation? I will gladly work for a six pack of Yuengling and some nachos.....

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thank you for the promotion.....I think. Does it include compensation? I will gladly work for a six pack of Yuengling and some nachos.....
I know nachos, but what is Yuengling???

Reaction Score
Donald, Yuengling is a world famous lager brewed in Pottsville, PA, the oldest brewery in the country. Yuengling is the family name.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
USC is a long standing prestigious institution of higher learning. It’s a “private” university that does not receive any financial assistance from outside government sources. USC has plenty of money. There is no shortage of students wanting to enroll each year. There is an on going building program that has new buildings and facilities going up year round.

Graduates of USC (Troy) are a proud people. My brother happens to a proud USC graduate with a master’s degree. UCLA and USC graduates don’t have a problem finding gainful employment. People that refer to USC as “spoiled children“ is nothing more jealousy rearing its ugly head. The spoiled children dig has been around for decades. It’s not a new observation.

Remember the recently exposed scandals of rich folks that paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to “buy” their children’s way in to USC? That alone should tell you how USC is perceived here on the west coast. Regardless of how some may perceive it, USC is doing just fine. I would have loved to have gone there, unfortunately it was well out of our price range. Even with financial aid (if you can qualify) it’s still very expensive to enroll there.

Not to show teeth, but I can assure you no Stanford alums are "jealous" of USC, and we often refer to it as U$C or University of Spoiled Children. And while many great people go to USC, and many of them are not spoiled children, the ethos of the institution definitely has a "money talks" vibe. Indeed, your own description of the institution exhibits a money first attitude. And isn't the fact that a bunch of spoiled kids want to buy their way into USC, and often do, suggestive of the fact that the moniker is rather apt? One recent ignoble instance was the Dean of the Medical School, who was a known substance abuser caught in a hotel with a prostitute who had OD'd. For over a year, the incident was hushed, because he was a prolific fundraiser. I could share other stories, but LAist has compiled a nice list of them here...

ETA: And I should say I have several relatives who are U$C alums, so this definitely comes with the (quasi)friendly intra-family rivalry territory.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not to show teeth, but I can assure you no Stanford alums are "jealous" of USC, and we often refer to it as U$C or University of Spoiled Children. And while many great people go to USC, and many of them are not spoiled children, the ethos of the institution definitely has a "money talks" vibe. Indeed, your own description of the institution exhibits a money first attitude. And isn't the fact that a bunch of spoiled kids want to buy their way into USC, and often do, suggestive of the fact that the moniker is rather apt? One recent ignoble instance was the Dean of the Medical School, who was a known substance abuser caught in a hotel with a prostitute who had OD'd. For over a year, the incident was hushed, because he was a prolific fundraiser. I could share other stories, but LAist has compiled a nice list of them here...

ETA: And I should say I have several relatives who are U$C alums, so this definitely comes with the (quasi)friendly intra-family rivalry territory.

I did not mention Stanford in my narrative. I don't understand your need to defend Stanford here. I'm fully aware that no Stanford alums are jealous of USC or any other institution of high learning. They don't have to be. Stanford's reputation speaks for itself, and is highly respected in the world of academia. People are going to think whatever they want about Stanford, USC and any other school. I don't like Notre Dame or Tennessee because their fans despise Geno and UConn. Dec 2018 - Ogunbowale earned a technical foul for her exchange with Auriemma (she told him to shut the explitive up) and also tripped UConn’s Crystal Dangerfield to the ground. McGraw and Ogunbowale apologized to their fans — but not to UConn. A clear exhibition of their lack of class and character.

That’s my personal opinion and choice. I'm quite sure the alums of those two schools give less than a damn what I think about their school, and don’t feel the need to defend it. USC is the only college in America with spoiled children. No other college in America has students whose parents are rich and have a sense of entitlement.

With respect to the dean of the medical school getting caught in a compromising situation. I don't think it was necessary to mention that. What was the point? What does THAT have to do with the "spoiled children" thought? Interesting that you went out of your way to attack USC with that uncalled for and unprovoked cheap shot. THAT was a personal decision he made. It WAS NOT made on behalf of the school. I did not say one negative word (thing) about Stanford, yet you chose to drag USC through the mud. Why???

Most colleges and universities (including Stanford) have some dirty laundry somewhere that has been kept private. No one (or school is perfect because it is being operated by imperfect humans). I'm sure that in Stanford's long history, there is some things that have happened, decisions that were made, errors in judgement that were made that the administration preferred to keep in house. THAT incident did not effect the school's enrollment one bit. Nor did it lessen the millions of endowment dollars the school receives each year.

I and others here realize that not everyone likes or is a fan of USC. No one is asking them to. USC does not need Stanford or any other school's permission to exist going forward. Like whomever you like. As I said, USC is doing better than OK. They don't want or need the envy of others. They are comfortable in their own space and skin.

I'm not retracting one word of my narrative. Needless to say, I do not agree with your comment at all. You have a right to it, but I don't have to buy it. USC is a respected and well to do institution in spite of what you and others may think, and will no doubt remain so for the foreseeable future. FIGHT ON!!!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom