A-10 New Media Rights Deal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A-10 New Media Rights Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am not saying any football fans want to cancel basketball. I’m confirming that some football fans don’t understand that the move to the Big East was critical. If we’d stayed in the American we’d be in the same spot football wise but basketball would be nowhere near as good.

And I listened to an interview with Hurley and Jon Rothstein recently and they talked directly about what the Big East does for UConn.

Hurley actually said that while the Big East helped energize the fanbase he didn’t give the Big East much credit for improving the program because they were already doing the right things.

Reaction Score
And I listened to an interview with Hurley and Jon Rothstein recently and they talked directly about what the Big East does for UConn.

Hurley actually said that while the Big East helped energize the fanbase he didn’t give the Big East much credit for improving the program because they were already doing the right things.
Well, I disagree with Hurley. Kids want to play in the Big East. They play in the American in spite of it.

Reaction Score
He also said that without the big east, neither Ajax or Sanogo come to UConn.
Yup. Zoo is trolling at this point. I don’t expect Hurley to say he’d be failing in the AAC. He’d be doing “pretty good”. However, he wouldn’t be putting on the kind of show he is now. We have entered the territory Calhoun had us in around 2004. It’s rare air and no one in the American will ever sniff it.

Reaction Score
Yup. Zoo is trolling at this point. I don’t expect Hurley to say he’d be failing in the AAC. He’d be doing “pretty good”. However, he wouldn’t be putting on the kind of show he is now. We have entered the territory Calhoun had us in around 2004. It’s rare air and no one in the American will ever sniff it.

Not trolling. Just repeating what the head basketball coach said.

You and Waylon can go lobby Benedict to cancel the football program if that makes you feel better.

Reaction Score
Not trolling. Just repeating what the head basketball coach said.

You and Waylon can go lobby Benedict to cancel the football program if that makes you feel better.
You’re absolutely trolling because despite my handle, I’m about as big of a UConn football fan as there is on here. Moving to the Big East has kept the brand relevant. I shudder to think where it would be in the AAC. Football would be just as bad but with even worse attendance. Basketball attendance would be in a death spiral with that schedule.

Reaction Score
Well, if you’re talking national championships it’s a meaningless number because over 25 years no one in the best conferences can challenge us. But if you mean no one in the American could emerge where they’re usually in the Top Ten and compete for national championships year after year, you’re simply wrong. See, e.g., Houston, University of.

Now, presumably this discussion is about the old American. The new, post realignment American you are correct, it’s not good enough for a member to compete nationally year after year. And, if we hadn’t bailed on the American when we did, we would have had to bail when UH, Cincy and UCF left.

Reaction Score
You’re absolutely trolling because despite my handle, I’m about as big of a UConn football fan as there is on here. Moving to the Big East has kept the brand relevant. I shudder to think where it would be in the AAC. Football would be just as bad but with even worse attendance. Basketball attendance would be in a death spiral with that schedule.
Problem was they went insanely cheap on FB in the AAC. The schools that got elevated went all in on coaching hires. The Diaco and Ollie buyouts seemed to have hamstrung them during a crucial time. For the longest time UConn relied on facilities as their reason for belonging as the results on the field got worse and worse.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Problem was they went insanely cheap on FB in the AAC. The schools that got elevated went all in on coaching hires. The Diaco and Ollie buyouts seemed to have hamstrung them during a crucial time. For the longest time UConn relied on facilities as their reason for belonging as the results on the field got worse and worse.
I'm not sure that the motivation for bringing back HCRE was, entirely, done for cost savings reasons. I think the goal was to simply bring the program up to some reasonable level of competency after the disastrous 10 years of Pasqualoni and the lunatic Diaco. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.

Reaction Score

If you’re a football fan then start acting like one.

Only a moron can’t see that football would be better off staying in the AAC as a football only of course.

If you don’t think we get negatively recruited as an outcast indy then you need to touch grass.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that the motivation for bringing back HCRE was, entirely, done for cost savings reasons. I think the goal was to simply bring the program up to some reasonable level of competency after the disastrous 10 years of Pasqualoni and the lunatic Diaco. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.
Didn't workout, is an understatement. It was disastrously worse. And the contract given to him had no buyout and paid him laughable incentive bonuses and don't forget his staff outside of Lashley was hot garbage. Diaco was whack but at least you weren't giving up 50 a game with no chance to even force a punt.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score

Only a moron can’t see that football would be better off staying in the AAC as a football only of course.

If you don’t think we get negatively recruited as an outcast indy then you need to touch grass.
Football only wasn't on the table.

Reaction Score

Yeah but that was not a realistic option now is it? Only a moron can't see that the school did not have a choice but to go independent once the big east move was confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom