A-10 New Media Rights Deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A-10 New Media Rights Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What were A10 school's annual payouts before this?
They look to be pretty secretive about it. I think you'd have to Google UMass's financials to find it.

Reaction Score
Last year, Atlantic Ten reports $5.7M in television revenue. Divide by 15 that's about $380,000 per school. Bump it up by 40%, and you're around $532,000 per school. No breakdown available between ESPN, CBS, NBC, ESPN+

Reaction Score
Please stop. We all know that we need football money to compete in football, but acting like more basketball money isn't good because it doesn't change the fact that we still need football money is just being a schmuck.
The Big East will never fund this athletic department the way it needs to be funded, but yes the basketball bump will be nice.

Reaction Score
The Big East will never fund this athletic department the way it needs to be funded, but yes the basketball bump will be nice.
The Big East is more than adequately funding everything but football. Football is a problem that is only solved by accepting huge costs to the school going forward, not playing at the level we aspire to or finding a power conference. WE ALL KNOW THAT. That doesn't stop good news from being good news just because the good news doesn't solve an intractible problem.

Last edited:

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The Big East is more than adequately funding everything but football. Football is a problem that is only solved by accepting huge costs to the school going forward, not playing at the level we aspire to or finding a power conference. WE ALL KNOW THAT. That doesn't stop good news from being good news just because the good news doesn't solve an intractible problem.
I mean I don’t think you can say the Big East is “more than adequately funding everything but football” when Hurley makes more money alone than we do from our media deal. We thankfully have donor support covering a lot of costs related to staffing and whatnot but I don’t think you can say that with a straight face when one guy makes more money than we get from the league

Reaction Score
You’re comparing apples with oranges. Compare apples with apples. The average Big East school is spending as much on hoops as the average P-5 school. That’s the point. WTF does what percentage of the budget comes from gate receipts vs. TV vs. donor money have to do with it?

Drew

Reaction Score
You’re comparing apples with oranges. Compare apples with apples. The average Big East school is spending as much on hoops as the average P-5 school. That’s the point. WTF does what percentage of the budget comes from gate receipts vs. TV vs. donor money have to do with it?
You’re a lawyer so you should know that what you just said about “spending on basketball per average P5 school” doesn’t mean “adequately funding everything but football”

This is straight from the annual report this year which Benedict wrote:

“Many of the peer institutions UConn competes with on the national stage, such as those in the Power 5, enjoy significant revenues from conference-related television contracts," Benedict wrote. "Television-generated revenue represents a large annual financial inflow and generally allows university support to be more modest at those institutions. At this point UConn receives approximately $4 million from our media partners vs. the Power 5 media contracts that range from $30-$65 million. As such, the combination of self-generated revenues and university investment has been critical in allowing us to continue to compete for national championships in multiple programs, including men's and women's basketball, while also supporting our 19 other teams which contend for conference titles and compete on a regional or national championship stage."”

If your new point is “UConn and other Big East teams have money to spend on par with the average P5 school currently” then sure, we can have that discussion. But that’s not what your original point was (which was factually incorrect).

Reaction Score
UConn vs other BE schools is an apples vs oranges comparison.
None of them sponsor a $100M AD, and none of them sponsor an FBS FB

Drew

Reaction Score
UConn vs other BE schools is an apples vs oranges comparison.
None of them sponsor a $100M AD, and none of them sponsor an FBS FB
Exactly. People pick one small slice of AD spending they care about and pretend like everything across the entire AD is fine. And when you point out it’s not they just put their head in the sand and say they don’t care so it doesn’t matter

CL82

Reaction Score
Because the money has to come from somewhere. A big 10 school spending $3 million for a basketball coach is just a tiny fraction of the money that they receive from their conference for broadcast rights. Connecticut spending the same amount of money exhausts that source of revenue leaving unavailable for funding the rest of the athletic department costs.

It's reasonable to point that out.

Reaction Score
Because the money has to come from somewhere. A big 10 school spending $3 million for a basketball coach is just a tiny fraction of the money that they receive from their conference for broadcast rights. Connecticut spending the same amount of money exhausts that source of revenue leaving unavailable for funding the rest of the athletic department costs.

It's reasonable to point that out.
Fully disagree. For the vast majority of P-5 schools, the goal is to spend absolutely as much as they can use on football and fund the rest of the Athletic Dept on what is left. Comparing our total AD budget to Auburn’s doesn’t tell you anything about anything other than football. If you compare our total revenue less football expenses to their total revenue less football expenses, then you will learn about basketball and everything else.

CL82

Reaction Score
Fully disagree. For the vast majority of P-5 schools, the goal is to spend absolutely as much as they can use on football and fund the rest of the Athletic Dept on what is left. Comparing our total AD budget to Auburn’s doesn’t tell you anything about anything other than football. If you compare our total revenue less football expenses to their total revenue less football expenses, then you will learn about basketball and everything else.
Yeah, disagree. The basketball budget is essentially rounding error to schools in the P2. For the rest of us it's a material part of our budget. For many schools it is the most significant part. Let me guess you skipped Econ in college? For those with limited resources, the guns/butter choice material.

Reaction Score
There are several UConn football fans that just like to dump on basketball every chance they get. I wish they would find another school to root for because it is beyond tedious at this point.
WTF are you talking about? Are you serious? The FB board is full of folks who support ALL UConn sports. We want the best for all sports!! It’s the BB only fans that want to sacrifice FB at the altar. You are such a schmuck! Gaslighting to the best of your ability!

Reaction Score
WTF are you talking about? Are you serious? The FB board is full of folks who support ALL UConn sports. We want the best for all sports!! It’s the BB only fans that want to sacrifice FB at the altar. You are such a schmuck! Gaslighting to the best of your ability!
Yeah, I mean zero football fans are calling for cutting basketball, but there sure are a lot of basketball fans saying we should cut or demote football. I think the basketball fans simply don't understand yet that football drives the bus to money and to a better conference and ultimately to the ability of basketball to stay elite.

Reaction Score
The football fans all recognize that basketball is our biggest asset and needs to be enhanced at every turn.

However, Nelson is probably referring to the football fans that lament leaving the AAC. Those fans don’t understand that basketball was dying there. Dan Hurley would have gotten us back to being a Top 25 program in the AAC some of the time, but our current success would never have happened.

So, I think it’s that sometimes loud handful that miss the American that Nelson is referring to. I definitely don’t think that’s anything more than a small percentage of football fans, but that faction clearly exists.

Reaction Score
There are several UConn football fans that just like to dump on basketball every chance they get. I wish they would find another school to root for because it is beyond tedious at this point.
LOL

Reaction Score
The football fans all recognize that basketball is our biggest asset and needs to be enhanced at every turn.

However, Nelson is probably referring to the football fans that lament leaving the AAC. Those fans don’t understand that basketball was dying there. Dan Hurley would have gotten us back to being a Top 25 program in the AAC some of the time, but our current success would never have happened.

So, I think it’s that sometimes loud handful that miss the American that Nelson is referring to. I definitely don’t think that’s anything more than a small percentage of football fans, but that faction clearly exists.

No.

I think Nelson needs to stop talking.

You don’t see football fans calling for canceling the basketball program like you see bball fans calling to cancel football.

Nelson and yourself have no basis to say this.

We put football in a bad spot taking care of basketball. Which was necessary. But then these same hoop fans point to the team’s struggles. Well duh. That’s what happens when you pull a team out of a conference so that you can keep Women’s basketball on SNY. People stop taking your program seriously.

Football needs a bit more than some TLC.

CL82

Reaction Score
They spent all their money bringing on powerhouses UCF and Cincinnati
Or alternatively, once they got started shopping in the bargain aisle, they decided they liked it.

Reaction Score
No.

I think Nelson needs to stop talking.

You don’t see football fans calling for canceling the basketball program like you see bball fans calling to cancel football.

Nelson and yourself have no basis to say this.

We put football in a bad spot taking care of basketball. Which was necessary. But then these same hoop fans point to the team’s struggles. Well duh. That’s what happens when you pull a team out of a conference so that you can keep Women’s basketball on SNY. People stop taking your program seriously.

Football needs a bit more than some TLC.

I am not saying any football fans want to cancel basketball. I’m confirming that some football fans don’t understand that the move to the Big East was critical. If we’d stayed in the American we’d be in the same spot football wise but basketball would be nowhere near as good.

Reaction Score
I am not saying any football fans want to cancel basketball. I’m confirming that some football fans don’t understand that the move to the Big East was critical. If we’d stayed in the American we’d be in the same spot football wise but basketball would be nowhere near as good.

Show me the two people who are crying about this. Because they either changed their opinion ages ago or I have them on ignore.

There are large numbers of UConn Basketball “Fans” who want to cancel football merely out of spite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom