A “Rational” Argument Against the Edsall Hire | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A “Rational” Argument Against the Edsall Hire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Might it be because in a BCS conference a decade ago 8 wins a year were good enough but now that would not really get you much?

8 wins gets you:
  • A bowl game every year
  • An extra month of practice every year, because of the bowl game
  • Assume that you have to have a winning home record to get to 8, meaning you have better attendance
  • Respectability, which brings with it a whole bunch of benefits
I suppose if you don't want those things, great. And I know that you do. But assuming that's what HCRE brings us, let's not act like he is making us drink kerosene.

Reaction Score
You still haven't offered up a name and a reasonable contract for that name. I'm pretty sure I know why you are avoiding doing so. But it's hard to sit here watching you moan about prospective numbers of victories with Edsall and not offer up anow alternative. Moan away, I guess...

Lombardi, Belichick, Walsh or Landry.

Reaction Score
You still haven't offered up a name and a reasonable contract for that name. I'm pretty sure I know why you are avoiding doing so. But it's hard to sit here watching you moan about prospective numbers of victories with Edsall and not offer up anow alternative. Moan away, I guess...

Have you produced the list by which DB was working off of, making phone calls, e-mailing, etc...? I'm pretty sure why you're avoiding doing so, but you could always produce the list and shut people up. Or continue on the path of obtusness you're currently on.

Reaction Score
No. I think folks are tolerating rational critique fine. What people aren't tolerating is the kind of lunacy that talks about how he wasn't accomplishing anything good the first time around, or how f&&&ed we're going to be when instead of averaging 4 wins a year we get stuck on 8 win seasons.
Totally agree, IMO if we returned to being competitive, did not have horrible in game management, never again lost to SMU or Tulane at home, blew out FCS schools this thread disappears and the few lunatics that talk of National FBS championships can go back in hibernation or move to Ala freakin Bama. Being competitive, regularly being near or over .500 and not embarrassing ourselves as we did this past year
is all I ask for in the next 4 years. Given several candidates whose names have repeatedly surfaced here in the likes of Schiano, Golden and Coach Edsel, it was a sensible hire of someone who knows the terrain.
If we ever did get to the aforementioned 8 win season Biz law referred to in the current world of FBS athletics by year 5, we could be assured our coach would not be moving on. Getting 2.0 back, when we get to respectability, would place the program on a path to Coaching stability & consistency similar to Navy and Niamutolo. if THE SAME ON FIELD RESULTS WERE TO OCCUR, 2.0 CEMENTS HIS LEGACY.

The reality is that WE ranked LAST in offensive measurables in 2016. Our offensive line and OC turnover and decision making for 3 years, (make that 6, with the exception of TJ), were horrendous. This is going to be a hard climb but we have a good coach and better person than is being scorned by some but this is a rational hire & HCRE built us once. We all need to give him the support to make HCRE 2.0 memorable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. I think folks are tolerating rational critique fine. What people aren't tolerating is the kind of lunacy that talks about how he wasn't accomplishing anything good the first time around, or how f&&&ed we're going to be when instead of averaging 4 wins a year we get stuck on 8 win seasons.
And your rant is meant to represent rational discourse? How sad.
If you are worried that the anti Randy view is being repeated too often, you can go to a different thread. There are still a few of us who believe UCONN screwed up with this rehire. Time will tell who is right, but i think Our situation is so dire that we don't get a do over.

Reaction Score
If you are worried that the anti Randy view is being repeated too often, you can go to a different thread. There are still a few of us who believe UCONN screwed up with this rehire. Time will tell who is right, but i think Our situation is so dire that we don't get a do over.

Why would you even care to discuss this if it's so dire?

Maybe the women's BB board is more your speed. They never lose.

By the way you are not a representation of rational discourse. Just your comment of it being so dire has no rational backing.

Reaction Score
Why would you even care to discuss this if it's so dire?

Maybe the women's BB board is more your speed. They never lose.

By the way you are not a representation of rational discourse. Just your comment of it being so dire has no rational backing.

If there continue to be new threads saying how great it is that hiring Edsall will bring us back to mediocrity then I and others will continue to interject what a poor decision it was. By the way, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention Colin McEnroe's editorial in this mornings Courant.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If there continue to be new threads saying how great it is that hiring Edsall will bring us back to mediocrity then I and others will continue to interject what a poor decision it was. By the way, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention Colin McEnroe's editorial in this mornings Courant.

Do you honestly believe a straight shot between bottom-of-the-toilet-bowl Diaco and steamrolling the conference à la Tom Herman last year was feasible?

Reaction Score
Pdutch 5, I don't think Bizlaw is worried that the anti Randy view is being repeated too often. He is merely stating a rational position. you are entitled to your view and he is expressing his view and the view of many of us. There are some people on this BY who can dish it out hiding behind a screen but God forbid if someone expresses a different view, then you tell him to go to another thread.

HCRE 1.0 accomplished great strides for us and the lunacy that an 8 win season is not good enough for some of you. Many of us were in Chestnut Hill, or at ECU, Tulane at home and at Annapolis for the seventeen second fiasco, energy vamps and kumbaya by the campfire, .....my advice is to you Padutch is to sit back and enjoy the ride back up the next 5 years and enjoy. I will take being competitive again
fielding a respectable, hard playing team team any day of the week. Maybe you need to go over to the WBB for awhile.

Reaction Score

I don't consider 2 conference championships and a BCS Bowl game mediocre. Pretty sure BCU and Rutgers can't lay claim to that.

Serious question. Why are you here? If it's so bad go find another sport. I'd never follow something I had so much disdain for.

Reaction Score
Look I'm not a complete fan of the hire either...but it is what it is. This certainly isn't the job it was when he left and it isn't the job it was when Pasqualoni was fired. Has the hire grown on me: yes...I'm a UConn fan and all I want to see if the Rent filled again. And I complete sold on it..no I won't pass final judgement until he announces his complete staff S&C guy included. But at the end of the day it's who we have, and as my wife who is a rational person to my irrational person said to me it's about supporting the program and the kids because that's what we do as FANS. I trust Benedict...I can't put my finger on why...I just do. And he needed to right and stabilize the ship before he could sail it straight at full speed again. Edsall knows this program..this fan base and this school better than anyone.

Reaction Score

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Have you produced the list by which DB was working off of, making phone calls, e-mailing, etc...? I'm pretty sure why you're avoiding doing so, but you could always produce the list and shut people up. Or continue on the path of obtusness you're currently on.

I'm not the one claiming to have a "rational" argument against what has already happened. I'll take the refusal to mean that the argument he posed is otherwise irrational...

Reaction Score
I just read that piece by Colin McEnroe...I have one question for you @Padutch5 : Do you think Colin McEnroe has season tickets to UConn Football? I don't ...I also don't think Colin McEnroe is a college football fan or understands the game 1 bit. Because if he did he would understand that this job was toxic right now and that it wasn't desirable by a young up and coming head coach. I'm not all in on this hire...as I have posted around this board..I actually wanted to give up my tickets when it happened..tickets I have had for 13 straight seasons after having them for 6 seasons in the mid 1990's. But my wife was the one to look at this rationally and make the rational decision to stay on board...why you ask..because you support the program and the kids! I am with holding my final thumbs up or down until I see Edsall's staff but from what I have heard from him so far in his press conference and Q&A after with reporters he is NOT the man described by Colin McEnroe in his piece. But then again thats because he isn't a season ticket holder who loves the program..NOR is he a college football fan who understands the game, it's landscape or it's dynamics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom