99 Team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

99 Team

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Two guys from Newark picked UConn. I talked to Tate George, who was at the Channel 3 truck before the game and he picked UConn and a sportswriter for the Newark Star Ledger.
Chief got to Tropicana Field early (before it opened) and ran into Ricky’s Dad. A few hours later Ricky had the greatest half of his career. That enabled the other UConn guys to get their sea legs.
good karma story. as a 'positive energy' kinda dude, any chance u have time to visit with some of the dads for our current squad? im thinking around AAC tourney time would be good. heck, i'd even pay for the mojo grinders if that helps...
(uh, to be clear aboot the 'mojo grinders,' not this kind;
https://bestvaporizers.space/wp-con...howing-Logo-Best-Grinder-for-Kief-300x300.jpg
this kind;
http://i1./theantijunecleaver.com/w...make-a-grinder-sandwich-1b.jpg?resize=600,900

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jacobs' column was a good read and it really was a blast to see that team together again. One minor fact needs to be set straight, however. Khalid's "We shocked the world!" declaration in the moments after the final buzzer wasn't all that spontaneous. It was actually a follow-up to something he had said during a brief interview with CBS as he was entering the UConn locker room that night. The interviewer asked Khalid if he had any predictions for tonight's game and he came right out and declared, "We're going to shock the world." That's where it all started. And he'll always be a Husky hero for making good on that promise.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
To this day I have never watched the 99 title game. Maybe one of these days. I was a kid and I don't know if my parents didn't let me stay up or what but I listened on the radio. I ended up getting a cassette soon after and used to listen to it while I feeling sleep but the only parts of the game I have every seen are the repeated highlights like the Trajan stumble.
I think you'll like it.

To this day, I have never seen Donyell miss the free throws, or losing the footrace to UCLA.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Was a little surprised there wasn't even a mention of "Ricky" as not able to attend.
I'll prefer to regard all of this as limiting distraction and controversy, and appreciate the well-deserved love within this thread. May time heal...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We don't win without Ricky.
Literally. The team was so tight at the beginning of that game. It took a couple of Moore buckets to calm things down and right the ship. Then, IIRC he didn't score another FG that game.

Reaction Score
Best screener we've ever had and one of our best position defenders. Ricky gets all the accolades for his D as he should but Jake totally took Brand out of that championship game. He didn't need to block shots or score to have a huge effect on games, he did it all with smarts and brawn.
Calhoun's two bigs double team on Brand strategy helped a bit as well.

Reaction Score
Two guys from Newark picked UConn. I talked to Tate George, who was at the Channel 3 truck before the game and he picked UConn and a sportswriter for the Newark Star Ledger.
Chief got to Tropicana Field early (before it opened) and ran into Ricky’s Dad. A few hours later Ricky had the greatest half of his career. That enabled the other UConn guys to get their sea legs.

If memory serves me, I think Mike Wilbon predicted a UConn win as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I talked to Tate George, who was at the Channel 3 truck before the game

And who was his broadcasting partner there? Yup, it was MNF's Joe Tessitore. Who up close, had the same eyebrows as Groucho Marx.

Reaction Score
Literally. The team was so tight at the beginning of that game. It took a couple of Moore buckets to calm things down and right the ship. Then, IIRC he didn't score another FG that game.

His lock down defense in second half was legendary.

5ED53B3C-B046-46B5-ACA6-3B849CC4523D.jpeg

Just happened to find this in the back of my closet today.

Reaction Score
Jacobs' column was a good read and it really was a blast to see that team together again. One minor fact needs to be set straight, however. Khalid's "We shocked the world!" declaration in the moments after the final buzzer wasn't all that spontaneous. It was actually a follow-up to something he had said during a brief interview with CBS as he was entering the UConn locker room that night. The interviewer asked Khalid if he had any predictions for tonight's game and he came right out and declared, "We're going to shock the world." That's where it all started. And he'll always be a Husky hero for making good on that promise.
This! I’ve been thinking about that for the past couple days when everyone was talking about what Khalid said after the game. Was watching the game with a bunch of friends and when Khalid said matter of factly “ We plan to shock the world today” all of us got pumped!

Reaction Score

I think Tate picked the exact score, too. I'm not discounting Tate, but he was UConn alum and many thought he was picking UConn based on that. The cool thing is I remember someone asked him why not pick UConn by 1, and he said they would add 2 free throws after being fouled and he had it exactly right.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think Tate picked the exact score, too. I'm not discounting Tate, but he was UConn alum and many thought he was picking UConn based on that. The cool thing is I remember someone asked him why not pick UConn by 1, and he said they would add 2 free throws after being fouled and he had it exactly right.
Maybe he should have gone into book making and not Ponzi scheming.

Reaction Score
I think you'll like it.

To this day, I have never seen Donyell miss the free throws, or losing the footrace to UCLA.

Those were painful but the deepest cut was Christian Laettner’s shot in the 1990 final 8 that hurt the most.
But I believe it’s the memory of that shot that made 1999 so beautiful.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe he should have gone into book making and not Ponzi scheming.
Meh, I think Tate started off planning on doing legit real estate development. He just was over his head. When things started to go bad he tried moving cash around to keep it all a float until he could turn this around. That doesn't make it right, of course, but it's not like it was always a long con. The story/mindset is more common than you may realize. It's hard to be successful in business particularly if you look to start large like Tate did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom