99 Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

99 Team

C

Chief00

Best screener we've ever had and one of our best position defenders. Ricky gets all the accolades for his D as he should but Jake totally took Brand out of that championship game. He didn't need to block shots or score to have a huge effect on games, he did it all with smarts and brawn.
Agree, and a big thanks to the great one Tim Higgins, for allowing Jake to play like a man.

Reaction Score
Was Antric Klaiber there for the ceremony ?
True story, I root for all of the husky players every year but Klaiber was one guy I did not like seeing on the floor and I would let my TV set know that. I know JC had to give him minutes but he never did anything positive and it seemed like any lead we had always got chipped away when he was on the floor. I was so frustrated with him after a game that I actually emailed JC telling him not to play him because he didn’t help the team. Anybody else have a Klaiber type of player ?

Klaiber was in the doghouse most of the 99 season. I thought it was classy of Calhoun to get him in the stats for the game, even if it was only one play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I loved this team, too. I remember being nervous all day and talking with my boss at work. Nobody was giving UConn a shot and he just wanted to desperately hear someone say they had a chance. I told him if a 3rd scorer showed up (I though Jones was the best shot) UConn had a chance. Ricky had that big first half and it just seemed like destiny from there. I can remember so many plays from that game. I remember more from that game than any other single game. Freeman's one handed rebound and putback. Wane's rebound and hook. Jake blocking a shot and landing on Brand with no call. I could name a few dozen more at least.

Reaction Score
I loved this team, too. I remember being nervous all day and talking with my boss at work. Nobody was giving UConn a shot and he just wanted to desperately hear someone say they had a chance. I told him if a 3rd scorer showed up (I though Jones was the best shot) UConn had a chance. Ricky had that big first half and it just seemed like destiny from there. I can remember so many plays from that game. I remember more from that game than any other single game. Freeman's one handed rebound and putback. Wane's rebound and hook. Jake blocking a shot and landing on Brand with no call. I could name a few dozen more at least.

Time goes on, so I may be totally wrong on this, but I remember Souleyman stripping Brand of the ball and scoring under the hoop. Shortly after, Brand retaliated and did a coast to coast drive that left him totally gassed. He didn't score another point.

Reaction Score
Time goes on, so I may be totally wrong on this, but I remember Souleyman stripping Brand of the ball and scoring under the hoop. Shortly after, Brand retaliated and did a coast to coast drive that left him totally gassed. He didn't score another point.
Yes, I think it was Brand got the rebound, and was double teamed while everyone else broke to the other end of the floor. The ball was stripped and when up high. Wane snatched it and hit the hook shot.
I remember thinking specifically that "This (UConn winning) is going to happe

Still, the Freeman rebound is so clear to me. Like many of his rebounds, it was a 'man's' rebound. The Duke player had his left arm held and Freeman gathered it with his right hand, ripped his other arm free and layed it in.

Reaction Score
To this day I have never watched the 99 title game. Maybe one of these days. I was a kid and I don't know if my parents didn't let me stay up or what but I listened on the radio. I ended up getting a cassette soon after and used to listen to it while I feeling sleep but the only parts of the game I have every seen are the repeated highlights like the Trajan stumble.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
To this day I have never watched the 99 title game. Maybe one of these days. I was a kid and I don't know if my parents didn't let me stay up or what but I listened on the radio. I ended up getting a cassette soon after and used to listen to it while I feeling sleep but the only parts of the game I have every seen are the repeated highlights like the Trajan stumble.
You should watch it immediately.

Reaction Score

Generally I don't dwell on my age. Then something like this happens.

Reaction Score
I was fortunate to make it to the game today and support our team even with the (10th loss in the conf this season) and also relive a little bit history. It was great to see the 99' team today along with Calhoun. What I take from that team as I seen them today was their camaraderie. As a few of them spoke they called themselves “brothers” and I’ve noticed that we haven’t had that goin for us for sometime now. There were even a few ppl who were screaming for Calhoun to come back but those days are gone. We’re onto another chapter with Hurley. No need to mention the KO era.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm weirdly emotional about all the guys coming together...
Check out @UConnMBB’s Tweet:

Like Calhoun was saying during the game, the key is pieces. That team had all the right pieces. And like the announcer said during the intros, Khalid was the missing piece for us.

Hearing Hurley talk about Alterique in today’s presser made me happy to think we might have at least one piece.

Reaction Score

Try this:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was the only final four I didn't make in person. Funny since it was the closest final four to where I lived. I had just moved to the Atlanta and was in my late 20's and didn't have much extra money. I watched the whole game at my girlfriend's house and jumped for joy when we won. I didn't have a cell phone to text then so no way to keep up with my family and share the joy at that moment.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You should watch it immediately.

I rewatched It a few years ago and it was a little sloppier than I remember. The duke guy missing an uncontested fast break layup became 2 very big points.

Calhoun’s game plan that game was nothing short of brilliant.

He took away brand down low and Avery’s penetration and made everyone else beat them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Like Calhoun was saying during the game, the key is pieces. That team had all the right pieces. And like the announcer said during the intros, Khalid was the missing piece for us.

Those guys played team ball. It was a true joy to watch.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agree, and a big thanks to the great one Tim Higgins, for allowing Jake to play like a man.
Back then or so Higgins was doing an afternoon game at the XL. My buddy asked if he could take his kid so I watched it upstairs at Bradley teletheater. Shortly after the game was over, from the next table I hear, "Timmy! How's the hell you get here so fast, the games only been over for 5 minutes!" Sure enough it, it was Higgins ready to throw down.

Reaction Score
Proof of Watching the 1999 game should be a pre-requisite to obtaining permission to view and post in the boneyard imo.
I was living in Portugal at the time for work and my girlfriend brought me the game on VHS. For a long time, whenever i came home after a night out I would pop that tape in. I think I've watched that game over 50 times.

C

Chief00

Back then or so Higgins was doing an afternoon game at the XL. My buddy asked if he could take his kid so I watched it upstairs at Bradley teletheater. Shortly after the game was over, from the next table I hear, "Timmy! How's the hell you get here so fast, the games only been over for 5 minutes!" Sure enough it, it was Higgins ready to throw down.

Great story, great ref and great guy. He broke the seal of Duke getting all the preferential baby calls against UConn and I will always admire him for that alone.

C

Chief00

I'm weirdly emotional about all the guys coming together...
Check out @UConnMBB’s Tweet:

Me too, at one point or another this weekend it got emotional for anyone who had a connection to that Championship.

C

Chief00

Two guys from Newark picked UConn. I talked to Tate George, who was at the Channel 3 truck before the game and he picked UConn and a sportswriter for the Newark Star Ledger.
Chief got to Tropicana Field early (before it opened) and ran into Ricky’s Dad. A few hours later Ricky had the greatest half of his career. That enabled the other UConn guys to get their sea legs.

Reaction Score
We need to bring in Edmund to throw around our bigs and make them tougher.
Resized_Screenshot_20190224-195022001_431.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom