900 Names | Page 2 | The Boneyard

900 Names

Reaction Score
I was wondering how the Covid year was going to impact the record books. You'll have a wave of players with 5 years before it goes back to 4 year players.

Reaction Score
How so? Maybe the school they want won’t be available, but I’d guess kids good enough to be recruited will land somewhere with a full ride. I’m not necessarily a fan of the new landscape but I don’t see kids getting the short end of the stick with plenty of landing places. Even UConn usually has a few unused scholarships. Are there stats on the number of unfilled D1 scholarships? My grandson didn’t get into the Ivy he wanted but has several good choices anyway.
The point that old dude made is that players who commit, and do go to a school, may all of a sudden find a RAP coming in, and lose playing time. Of course , they can then become a RAP themselves. Love this new landscape!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How so? Maybe the school they want won’t be available, but I’d guess kids good enough to be recruited will land somewhere with a full ride. I’m not necessarily a fan of the new landscape but I don’t see kids getting the short end of the stick with plenty of landing places. Even UConn usually has a few unused scholarships. Are there stats on the number of unfilled D1 scholarships? My grandson didn’t get into the Ivy he wanted but has several good choices anyway.
It’s not just about scholarship availability. It’s also very much about having the opportunity to play. I am delighted that Dorka is coming back to complete a 5th year of eligibility at UConn. But if I’m Amari or Piath, that decision will likely limit my PT next season.

Amari in particular must be wondering when she’ll get to play meaningful minutes again. Her senior season in HS was cancelled due to the pandemic. This season Amari appeared in 15/34 games averaging 5.3 mpg.

I think Amari is capable of becoming a very good BIG for UConn. But the only way that’s going to happen is if she gets meaningful PT in games against top competition.

Reaction Score
It’s not just about scholarship availability. It’s also very much about having the opportunity to play. I am delighted that Dorka is coming back to complete a 5th year of eligibility at UConn. But if I’m Amari or Piath, that decision will likely limit my PT next season.

Amari in particular must be wondering when she’ll get to play meaningful minutes again. Her senior season in HS was cancelled due to the pandemic. This season Amari appeared in 15/34 games averaging 5.3 mpg.

I think Amari is capable of becoming a very good BIG for UConn. But the only way that’s going to happen is if she gets meaningful PT in games against top competition.
I can tell you when Amari will get to play meaningful minutes. When she does what Geno tells her to do. Like Geno said yesterday he's fair and if you do what he asks you'll play and if not you won't.

Reaction Score

Piath and Amari are perfect examples of the impact of this RAP thing. Some people will just say that they wouldn't have played much anyway, but we don't know that. Wonder what will happen with them going forward?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The point that old dude made is that players who commit, and do go to a school, may all of a sudden find a RAP coming in, and lose playing time. Of course , they can then become a RAP themselves. Love this new landscape!
Maybe we are approaching the day when schools can trade players, except those with a right to reject the trade, with a RAP to be named later. Absent COVID a lot of the pressure to allow one unpenalized transfer was because it seemed like it was unfair for a kid to be forced to sit a year after transfer when the coach who recruited them could leave with a rich contract. The rule, however, isn’t limited to cases where the coach leaves. Kind of the wild west.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can tell you when Amari will get to play meaningful minutes. When she does what Geno tells her to do. Like Geno said yesterday he's fair and if you do what he asks you'll play and if not you won't.
Geno has praised both Amari and Piath’s efforts in practice. They were behind Liv, Aaliyah, & Dorka all season. If you have only 80 minutes available for frontcourt players that doesn’t leave you with many minutes for the 4th & 5th F/C, and that doesn’t even take into account the times when UConn goes with a 4-guard lineup.

Reaction Score
Amari, in her mop minutes, showed a shooting stroke, as good or better than any of other bigs; even from threes. A great three point shooter at 6'5", would give everyone else so much more space to operate in.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Looking at that list there are several things that jump out. Many are grad transfers that are hoping to find someone where they can use another season to play (apparently they were not offered that year at their current school). Secondly it is obvious that a lot have already transferred at least once and will likely have trouble finding a home. Lastly I wish there was more info on the ones that were part of a mass exodus - was their a coaching change or is there a known problem. 11 players leaving points to some issue!
It isn't just that the school didn't offer an extra year. Most schools have limited graduate programs, and a lot of students are encouraged to choose a different school even if their school has the grad program they are looking for - working with the same professors in grad school you just had as an undergrad doesn't broaden your exposure.

On the issue with HS recruits ... If you assume 4000 D1scholarships, that works out as 1000 for freshman. But now with a fifth year available, maybe 500 college students are using half of those. Last year, the NCAA removed the 15 scholarship limit and a certain number of schools had rosters beyond 15, but that is not true this year or in future years. There is some slack in that not many schools carry 15 scholarships most years, but a lot of coaches also don't really want 15 scholarship players. And I think most players would prefer to be on a smaller team - more individual focus on them when a coach isn't split 15 ways.

And for recruits ... used to be you worried about the three classes recruited after you, but you at least had maturity and seniority and should a transfer appear, it was both rare, and they usually has to sit on the bench for a year. Now each year, you have the added worry about transfers immediately derailing your position in the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom