900 Names | The Boneyard

900 Names

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The portal will hit 1000+ again this year, just like last year. This will continue for at least another 2 years to coincide with the NCAA’s decision last year to give everyone a “Covid year” thereby giving athletes a 5th year of eligibility. Add in the one time transfer/immediate eligibility rule and WBB will be the Wild Wild West for several years at least.

I have mentioned previously that while it’s a great opportunity for many players to remain in college and play for a 5th season, it is also patently unfair to HS recruits from 2021-24, who get only 4 years of eligibility and, in many instances, are denied PT sitting behind 5th year players.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The portal will hit 1000+ again this year, just like last year. This will continue for at least another 2 years to coincide with the NCAA’s decision last year to give everyone a “Covid year” thereby giving athletes a 5th year of eligibility. Add in the one time transfer/immediate eligibility rule and WBB will be the Wild Wild West for several years at least.

I have mentioned previously that while it’s a great opportunity for many players to remain in college and play for a 5th season, it is also patently unfair to HS recruits from 2021-24, who get only 4 years of eligibility and, in many instances, are denied PT sitting behind 5th year players.
True. I read here in the yard just this week that a coach may opt to take a player with multiple years of eligibility left that has already proven she can play at this level, rather than a high school unknown. I saw a comment just yesterday that said over 200 wbb players in the portal DID NOT find another program to transfer to. :confused: Be careful what you wish for, and be careful where you step. You know some of those 900 players that are playing musical chairs will be standing when the music stops. :eek:

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There are probably about 300 of the transfers that are no longer undergraduates if it matches with last year. Most of those players will not have a meaningful professional (or they would be leaving for pro ball now) so they are simply hoping someone will give them free tuition in exchange for a year as a scholar athlete and so they are looking for their preferred grad program attached to a D1 basketball program that needs a body.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
How does Raoul know this? The portal is private and only accessible to few people.
Great question. I asked this in the thread on the general forum. The NCAA sought to prevent coaches from giving their login information to member of the media. Doesn't work if coaches are doing screenshots and sending it to media members and whatever one calls Raoul.

Reaction Score
Looking at that list there are several things that jump out. Many are grad transfers that are hoping to find someone where they can use another season to play (apparently they were not offered that year at their current school). Secondly it is obvious that a lot have already transferred at least once and will likely have trouble finding a home. Lastly I wish there was more info on the ones that were part of a mass exodus - was their a coaching change or is there a known problem. 11 players leaving points to some issue!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
USA Today op edpiece on ONO and CW never considering portal

Williams and ONO can laugh and "scoff" at the thought or notion of transferring. They have weathered the storms when the clouds were gray, as well as basked in the glory when it was 72 degrees and sunny. Classmates who were both 4 year starters. They have proven over and over that they do in fact have the "right stuff". They have forever cemented their place in UConn lore.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Williams and ONO can laugh and "scoff" at the thought or notion of transferring. They have weathered the storms when the clouds were gray, as well as basked in the glory when it was 72 degrees and sunny. Classmates who were both 4 year starters. They have proven over and over that they do in fact have the "right stuff". They have forever cemented their place in UConn lore.
hey, they didn't author the editorial, which has a certain tone; they've been picked as exemplars for the piece's point.

doubt they are laughing or scoffing at the concept of transfer. after all, evina & dorka became teammate because of it

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is why I call him Raoul, man of mystery. He has his ways.

I for one kinda like his whole cloak-and-dagger aura.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Could it be that Raoul may be a coach and is using an alias on Twitter?

Reaction Score
This is why I call him Raoul, man of mystery. He has his ways.

I for one kinda like his whole cloak-and-dagger aura.
Meh more like a trouble maker who goes around screenshotting people's tweets to use them to start drama.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Meh more like a trouble maker who goes around screenshotting people's tweets to use them to start drama.
Can't have cloak and dagger without a little trouble and drama :cool:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Could it be that Raoul may be a coach and is using an alias on Twitter?
I've thought of that but I don't think so. He used to post here under the Raoul handle. Stopped a few years ago, at least under that handle. Michigan fan.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I've thought of that but I don't think so. He used to post here under the Raoul handle. Stopped a few years ago, at least under that handle. Michigan fan.
The Boneyard wasn’t exactly warm and welcoming but neither did Raoul make an effort to befriend us. Macht nichts, we’ve got enough self-important know-it-alls.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Can't have cloak and dagger without a little trouble and drama :cool:
I'm not a fan of his selective editorializing. He does not like certain coaches and programs (UConn/Geno, Louisville/Walz) and takes every opportunity to criticize them.

He's thin-skinned and a bit of a baby. Doesn't like to be challenged on his opinion. He blocked me on twitter after I challenged his claim that UConn was hoarding players. This was after Azure and Touly decided to transfer to UConn and after fans here were saying that Geno's roster was too small! Truth was he wanted both Azure and Touly to pick Michigan and was a sore loser.

Also, the stuff he tweeted about Aubrey was awful and immature.

Reaction Score
Still posts on ND's board which would make his hatred of UConn and Louisville understandable.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Everything in life is unfair to someone.

Reaction Score
Great question. I asked this in the thread on the general forum. The NCAA sought to prevent coaches from giving their login information to member of the media. Doesn't work if coaches are doing screenshots and sending it to media members and whatever one calls Raoul.

Based on the time stamp of the Tweet, it seems like the authentication set up isn't working if Raoul is able to update at the pace he is. And he's not the only one "updating" people on the portal as there are the BallOut Worldwide Exposure Report sites selling access to this type of information.

Reaction Score

Good to read that I'm not the only one who thinks Rent-A-Player is unfair to high school recruits.

Reaction Score
Good to read that I'm not the only one who thinks Rent-A-Player is unfair to high school recruits.
There are many of us who think this. It's affecting a full generation of high school kids and families aren't cluing in.

I remember seeing a post on Twitter from someone who was concerned about some 2023 kids they know are sitting on good offers expecting something better to come. I thought it was a good point because there's no guarantee that offer will exist if that school finds someone in the portal who is a better fit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Everything in life is unfair to someone.
No, not really. You can redshirt transfer or qualify for an extra year because of injury, but before last year, college competition was limited to 4 seasons only. In its effort to be sensitive to athletes who dealt with all the postponements, cancellations and empty arenas due to the pandemic, the NCAA unintentionally created another problem for high school recruits by granting a 5th year of college eligibility to every single college athlete last year, and then they supercharged that decision by granting one free transfer with immediate eligibility.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How so? Maybe the school they want won’t be available, but I’d guess kids good enough to be recruited will land somewhere with a full ride. I’m not necessarily a fan of the new landscape but I don’t see kids getting the short end of the stick with plenty of landing places. Even UConn usually has a few unused scholarships. Are there stats on the number of unfilled D1 scholarships? My grandson didn’t get into the Ivy he wanted but has several good choices anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom