90 Minute Thread: White Wine? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

90 Minute Thread: White Wine?

Reaction Score
wine.JPG
I have one bottle of this left. One of the best whites I've had in a while if you can find it. I think I paid $30. Pinot Bianco from Alto Adige. Really excellent.

For US whites I tend toward Pinto Gris and Pinot Blanc from Oregon. Bethel Heights and Harper Voit are a couple of favorites.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The Snitch by the Prisoner Wine Co is a great $26 chard. +1 on the French Pouilly Fume above.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We must have created a run on Albariño. Went to Bistro Mediterranean in East Haven for lunch today and for the first time in the nine or so years that they’ve been open they were out of it and awaiting their delivery.

Oh well, gave me the chance to try a new-to-me Spanish white, Garnacha Blanco, from Navarra in northern Spain. Very quaffable. I like Albariño better, but this was a perfectly fine sipper for a summer day.

Apparently it is the light-skinned mutation of Granache Noir, the red grape commonly known simply as Granache.

Although it is native to northern Spain, Garnacha Blanco is reportedly best known for its role in Rhône blends—including most notably in the blend for the legendary Rhône red, Chateuneuf-du-Pape.

I love that there is always more to learn about this stuff.

Undaunted in my hunt for Albariño, I stopped at Coastal and did one better by grabbing a bottle of the only Alvarinho they had.

Also scored a liter bottle (yeah!) of Gruner Veltliner that I haven’t seen before, and a rosato from a renowned Montepulciano d’Abruzzo producer, made from the same grape.

Good head start on my vacation selections...

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Or Alvarinho from Portgual (same grape). My go-to for any firm white fish, although excellent on its own. Our state stores don't have a wide selection of them, so it's usually Martin Codax for about $14.

If you enjoy the Alvarinho from Portugal branch out and try some other Portuguese whites, or reds for that matter. Do not be thrown off by the usually low price tags. Portugal produces some very good wines and many are still relative steals due to them holding their native grapes close to the chest still. You probably will not recognize any of the grape varieties and most of the reds will be blends, but they are usually very good at a lower price point than that of the French, Italian, and Spanish varieties.

I do not drink many whites but in my experience they are not typically worth the higher price tag.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
White wine??

Barbara Steisand

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Had a Matthiasson Rose over the weekend, not usually a big fan of rose but it was crisp and bright, probably the best rose I've had ($30+/-). Recommendation from my daughter, a recent graduate of the CIA WIne Management master's program!

Anyone have any questions about wines, I can ask her, LMK. She introduced me to dessert wines which I thought I hated, but really like!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People who like sours or other funky beers should be on the look out for orange wines. They're fantastic and totally different than anything you normally expect from a wine. My wife and I tried them a few years ago in Slovenia (beautiful country) and since they've started to make their way into NY and Boston (and I'm sure many other places).

Had this a couple of days ago. Nice and crisp when cold, but as it warmed up it had a beautiful walnut flavor.

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 3.15.36 PM.jpg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
People who like sours or other funky beers should be on the look out for orange wines. They're fantastic and totally different than anything you normally expect from a wine. My wife and I tried them a few years ago in Slovenia (beautiful country) and since they've started to make their way into NY and Boston (and I'm sure many other places).

Had this a couple of days ago. Nice and crisp when cold, but as it warmed up it had a beautiful walnut flavor.

View attachment 56751

I like the artistic view of the tank top through the wine bottle.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

View attachment 56751
Asimov did a nice write up on them a couple months ago:

I received the Paolo Bea Aboreus (Italian) as a gift last Christmas and thought it was very interesting--like a white that tasted like a red in some ways--but I didn't love it and couldn't think of anything that would pair well with it food-wise.
arboreus-paolo-bea-2015-0-75-lt.png

I had a Pinot Noir from Slovenia two weeks ago and it was really nice. I have a Chardonnay from the same producer in my fridge now. Seems like a lot of promise in Slovenian wines.

Reaction Score
Lived in Napa & Sonoma for a few years, and this is the best white I've ever had: Chenin Blanc — Casa Nuestra

I like Chenin. Less cloying than Chardonnay makes it pleasant to me. I’ve made several trips to South Africa and they do a nice job with that grape (they call it Steen). Pine Ridge in Napa makes a very nice Chenin/Viognier blend that only runs around $15. I’m not familiar with Casa Nuestra but I’ll be on the lookout.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Alright adventurous Albarino fans, this sounds like a great one...from Uruguay!

I just bought six:

Garzon Albarino Reserve 2019
Well this one went faster than most have lately; now they have a Starmont rose made from Pinot Noir. Looks like a nice deal, and I have enjoyed the Starmont chardonnay, but I am stocked with roses at this point.

Reaction Score
Asimov did a nice write up on them a couple months ago:

I received the Paolo Bea Aboreus (Italian) as a gift last Christmas and thought it was very interesting--like a white that tasted like a red in some ways--but I didn't love it and couldn't think of anything that would pair well with it food-wise.
arboreus-paolo-bea-2015-0-75-lt.png

I had a Pinot Noir from Slovenia two weeks ago and it was really nice. I have a Chardonnay from the same producer in my fridge now. Seems like a lot of promise in Slovenian wines.
I really liked the wines I had there and from Istria.

Oranges don't pair particularly well with meals, but instead with snacks. I've had a lot (since Wine Bodega in Boston specializes in "natural wine"), and they vary in taste, which I love. There were a few wine bars in Boston (one near Fenway) that were growing their selection of "natural" wines. I had a natural rosé that is the best rosé I ever had, and I had a bunch in Provence.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Well this one went faster than most have lately; now they have a Starmont rose made from Pinot Noir. Looks like a nice deal, and I have enjoyed the Starmont chardonnay, but I am stocked with roses at this point.
I'm a big Starmont fan. Merryvale does a great job with their less expensive winery. We bought a bunch of the Starmont 2013 pinot noir up in NH for $19/bottle for a wedding last year - have a few bottles left and it's still drinking well - really a great wine for the price.

Had a Gitton Sancerre last night, "Les Belles Dammes" was great!

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
I like Chenin. Less cloying than Chardonnay makes it pleasant to me. I’ve made several trips to South Africa and they do a nice job with that grape (they call it Steen). Pine Ridge in Napa makes a very nice Chenin/Viognier blend that only runs around $15. I’m not familiar with Casa Nuestra but I’ll be on the lookout.
I’ve had the Pine Ridge blend, it’s nice. Casa Nuestra doesn’t distribute you can only buy directly from them. They are a hidden gem in Napa Valley. Their Chenin and Tinto Red (7-varietal blend) are just incredible for their price points. Worth taking a gamble on.

Reaction Score
Ballet of Angels (CT) is a pretty light, fun summer wine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you really want to spend $30 on a white wine, the answer is Sancerre.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yeah, $30 is a healthy budget for a nice bottle of white and you should be able score a nice white Burgundy or Chablis for that price.

You could also spend a good deal less and get a banging bottle of Sancerre (the best Sauvignon Blanc imo), or a nice Cortese di Gavi from Italy. Great summer wines.

Sancerre is my favorite white.

A banging bottle for a good deal less than $30? Usually when I say I want something like a Sancerre for $20 they point me to another mineraly SB. Any recs?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

A banging bottle for a good deal less than $30? Usually when I say I want something like a Sancerre for $20 they point me to another mineraly SB. Any recs?

I've have had some very good Loire whites that aren't Sancerre. But it's hit and miss. None will be bad, so I'd suggest grabbing a few of them and you will probably find a winner. We were in the Loire valley last June and I was blown away by the quality of the wines we had (especially the Cab Francs). This from Jancis Robinson gives good info on the whole region and some of her favorite producers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've have had some very good Loire whites that aren't Sancerre. But it's hit and miss. None will be bad, so I'd suggest grabbing a few of them and you will probably find a winner. We were in the Loire valley last June and I was blown away by the quality of the wines we had (especially the Cab Francs). This from Jancis Robinson gives good info on the whole region and some of her favorite producers.
You, sir, are a true hedonist. Respect!

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I'm probably a bit cheap in my estimate because, well, I'm usually a bit cheap when it comes to buying wine, in that there are significant discounts to be had on most wine varieties and I try to take advantage of them and strike when I find them. You may be more limited in that respect in NYC.

I do most of my wine buying from the weekly blast of closeouts from Mt. Carmel Wine & Spirits in Hamden. I know you are in NYC, but I'd still recommend signing up for their weekly e-mail because they will accept phone and e-mail orders and hold them for you, so if you know you will be passing through CT at some point in the coming weeks or months you can pick it up there. They haven't had a Sancerre in the list in a little while, but as an example here is last week's blast:

phone and email orders gladly accepted
WINE OF THE WEEKEND, HELD OVER
2019 Castello di Neive Langhe Arneis

This is a wonderfully refreshing and satisfying white from the Langhe region of Piedmont. Coming from a region best known for its Barolos and Barbarescos, Castello di Neive's Arneis is the perfect summer white. It has the texture of a really fine white Burgundy, with minerals and hints of almonds. It is as flawless as any Piedmontese white we've ever tasted. The flavors come at you from multiple directions. Far from a simple white you would just chill to death, this is a wine you want to savor over time, yet so delicious you might find your glass emptying in a hurry.
This sells around elsewhere for $24.99
Now only $18.99 this weekend only!

FANTASTIC NEW WINE ARRIVALS
L'Bella Sparkling Rose, Valencia Spain

Unbelievable sparkler for the price. Light, clean, and fresh, this is a delicious sparkling Rose from Valencia. With a bouquet of rose petals and varietal Monastrel character, it's the perfect aperitif yet can be enjoyed throughout a summer meal.
$7.99

2018 J Moreau & Fils Chablis

With Chablis prices spiraling upward we were happily fortunate to find one with all the characteristics you look for at a bargain price. You can taste the chalk soil influence and a citrus quality, with perfect balance.
$19.99

2019 Nicolas Rose of Pinot Noir

Nicolas is known in France for offering top value. for the money and this delivers. There's no mistaking the Pinot Noir fruit on both the nose and palate.
$9.99

2018 Raeburn Russian River Chardonnay

This has that classic cream caramel quality that you find in the better Russian River Chardonnays. Full-flavored with a hint of butterscotch in the finish, it's practically a meal in itself. Raeburn's Chardonnay finishes extremely long, the sign of a well-made wine.
$16.99 (was $24.99)

GREAT RED BURGUNDY ON THE CHEAP

We pride ourselves on having the best Burgundy collection in Connecticut, and take particular pride in coming upon outstanding red Burgundy values. In a category that requires rigorous selection, of the countless ones we've tasted we've found these to be the best buys.
2018 Frederic Esmonin Bourgogne Pinot Noir
Esmonin is a grower in Gevrey Chambertin.
$15.99
2018 Coteaux Bourguignons Les Sarments

A blend of Pinot Noir and Gamay. Light, tasty, and chillable.
$11.99
2016 Frederic Magnien Bourgogne Pinot Noir

Magnien wines are organically grown and biodynamically produced.
$19.99
2017 Camille Giroud Bourgogne Pinot Noir

A project from Becky Wasserman.
$27.99
2016 Domaine Vaudoisey Pommard

Classic Pommard, estate bottled.
$41.99
2017 Domaine Bart Marsannay La Montagne

A top Marsannay vineyard north of Gevrey Chambertin
$34.99
2016 Dufouleur Freres Nuits St. Georges

A perfect Nuits St. Georges example. Estate bottled in a great vintage.
$44.99

FANTASTIC NEW RED WINE CLOSEOUTS
2016 Brick & Mortar Vin Rubis, Napa Valley

Brick & Mortar Vin Rubis is the perfect chillable red. It's a blend of Pinot Noir from the Blockhouse vineyard in Yountville and Chardonnay from the Lincoln Creek vineyard in the Oakville AVA. The two grapes are fermented together and then aged in neutral oak barrels. The result is a light red. The Pinot Noir presence is obvious in the bouquet with the cherry-berry fruit on the palate. The Chardonnay adds body. Refreshing and totally satisfying. Serve cool but not overchilled.
$7.99 (was $30.99) only 4 bottles left

2011 Vergelegen Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, South Africa

Typical of better South African Bordeaux blends, this is a mouthful. There is no shortage of rich fruit in this wine and it has that signature South African smokiness. The long vinification process includes 15 months barrel aging. With its intense berry flavor, spice, and char on the finish, this is a serious wine.
$9.99 (was $21.99) only 10 bottles left

2018 Tavistock Monterey County Pinot Noir

Monterey County has garnered a solid reputation for quality Pinot Noirs. This is a rich yet elegant example, with ample black cherry fruit on both the nose and palate and notes of cocoa and cola.
$8.99 (was $21.99) only 3 bottles left

2008 Chateau Lanessan, Haut Medoc Bordeaux

Chateau Lanessan is advantageously located between St. Julien and Margaux. It has a classic blend of 60% Cabernet, 35% with Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc making up the balance. This is medium-bodied and elegant. While amazingly fresh it has the complexity that only an aged Bordeaux can achieve. It has solid structure, soft attractive tannins, and a perfect finish. Finding a sound mature Claret at an affordable price is no easy feat these days.
$24.99 (was $34.99)

Grab these closeouts before they're gone...
2017 Sidebar Sauvignon Blanc, Lake County California
David Ramey, famous for his Russian River Chardonnays, produces a Sauvignon Blanc from a cool-climate high-altitude vineyard in Lake County. This varietally correct Sauvignon Blanc has more acidity than your typical California example. If you admire well-made California Sauvignon Blancs don't miss this opportunity.
$14.99 (was $24.99) only 12 bottles left

two new fantastic French Rose steals
2018 Aime Roquesante Rose, Provence France
A classic example of Provence Rose in the attractive traditional Provence skittle bottle. It's made from all of the better Provence varietals: Grenache, Cinsault, Syrah, Carignan, and Mourvedre. There's strawberry and citrus on the nose with ample red fruit flavors. Crisp and satisfying - and actually in stock this week.
$7.99 (was $16.99)

2019 Les Lauzel Rose, Pays du Gard

From the Tavel producer Les Lauzeraies. What makes this exceptional for its price is its viscosity and flavor. Often the less expensive examples can taste like bubble gum - which we try to avoid - but this tastes pure. Dry, with even a bit of terroir, this is quite the summer bargain.
$9.99 (was $11.99)

2018 Angelini Pinot Noir

A light lively Pinot Noir from the Veneto region of Italy. It could even welcome a slight chill.
$7.99 (was $10.99)

2012 Gloria's "Old Vines" Cailin's Cuvee, North Coast Mendocino

A blend of Zinfandel, Carignan, and Petit Sirah from Mendocino. The old vines give it a creamy texture. It has extremely generous fruit and shows no sign of age. Tastes every bit of its original $25 price.
$6.99 (was $24.99) only 5 cases left

2016 Tavistock Reserve Collection Bacarre Red Blend, California

Surprisingly rich, generous, and flavorful. The winemakers have kept the varietals in the blend under wraps but it is remarkable harmonious with the richness and chocolate notes of Merlot up front with the kind of berry fruit and spiciness you would typically find in Zinfandel. This would be a perfect accompaniment with ribs, burgers, steaks, and most other grilled meats.
$7.99 (was $19.99) only 10 bottles left

2017 Alois Lageder Chardonnay, Sud-Tirol Alto Adige Italy

The family of Alois Lageder has been making wines in the Sud-Tirol for more than 150 years. His Chardonnay displays perfect varietal fruit which has gained further complexity from being aged on its lees. Typical of all of Lageder's wines, this is high-toned and clean with perfect balance and mouth-watering acidity. It's a solid value at $14.99 - some sell it for as much as $24.99. Now it's nothing short of a steal.
$7.99 (was $15.99) only 3 cases left

2018 Mastroberardino Falanghina

A terrific example of a volcanic soil white from the king of Campania, Mastroberardino. It's dry, full, and flavorful with generous minerality and perfect balance. The whites from the Campania region are ideal for summer yet serious as well. The volcanic soil influence adds a dimension not often found in a wine at this sale price.
$11.99 (was $17.99)

2018 Mastroberardino Mastro Aglianico

Mastroberardino can be credited with putting the wines of Campania on the international wine map. The family has been making wines there for 200 years. Their Mastro is 100% Aglianico, grown on chalky gray soils with an ideal south-east exposure. While many of the wines Mastroberardino produces benefit from many years of aging, this is one to be enjoyed in its youth. It has an abundance of red and black berry flavors both on the nose and the palate. This is a delicious red that, as the weather warms, would welcome a little chill.
$10.99 (was $15.99)

2014 Mastroberardino Redimore Irpinia Aglianico

A more serious Aglianico than the one above, Redimore's evident earthiness on the bouquet follows through on the palate. This character is beautifully complemented by the red raspberry fruit and spices. You really get a sense of this wine's traditional character, in part due to the year of aging in barrique, lending structure and length. Not an ounce of flab here - serious stuff.
$14.99 (was 27.99)

2016 Petit Clos (Clos Henri), New Zealand

The second wine of Clos Henri is lighter but with excellent grip and lovely subtle Pinot Noir fruit. It's pretty and very Burgundian. Drink now.
$11.99 (was $19.99) only a few cases left

WARM WEATHER WINE FAVORITES
Cote Mas Rose, liter bottle

Far and away our best selling Rose, and for good reason. Redolent with red berry fruit balanced with crisp acidity, it will go perfectly with the coming warm weather. It's also a full liter bottle to boot.
$9.99
Gazela Vinho Verde

Light in alcohol and refreshing, the zesty white of Portugal is perfect for the coming season. Available in white and rose.
$6.99
Fefinanes Albarino, Spain

Lively and refreshing, with a subtle briny character that keeps your interest.
$17.99
Domaine de la Madone Beaujolais Villages

One of our favorite values. Spicy fruit and earthiness - all you could hope for in a Beaujolais.
$12.99
Sartarelli Verdicchio

A remarkable white wine value from Italy's east coast. Dry and flavorful with surprising body.
$9.99
2017 Podere La Cappelle Chianti Classico

One of the most beautiful expressions of Sangiovese that we have ever tried. What you look for in a textbook Chianti Classico is ripe sour cherry, purity of fruit, and - of course - balance. One thing that you shouldn't look for is a Chianti that in any way tries to resemble a California Cabernet Sauvignon, which this does not. This is the kind of authentic Chianti Classico that's so delicious when you are in Tuscany. While irresistible on its own it's also the perfect food wine, so versatile that it goes with much more than pasta.
$21.99
2018 Domaine du Mont Verrier Beaujolais Villages

Domaine du Mont Verrier is a beautiful estate located right in the heart of Beaujolais. They employ sustainable viticulture to the point that they were awarded the H.E.V. (high environmental value) certification for their efforts. Their Beaujolais Villages is deep in color with serious Gamay fruit. It is rich yet elegant for a Beaujolais Villages. It has the presence of a very fine Cru Beaujolais, akin to a Fleurie or a Morgon that would sell for twice the price.
$16.99

2018 Vigneti del Sol Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

This gets our nomination for MVB (most valuable bottle), not only for the amazing value for the price but also for the way this tasty red holds up after opening. With its screw top enclosure it can last up to a week when refrigerated. This still remains not just our best value in Montepulciano d'Abruzzo but one of our very best under 10 bucks.
$8.99
GREAT BORDEAUX ON THE CHEAP
2019 Chateau Le Grand Branda

The luscious 2019 Bordeaux are starting to arrive. This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, and Merlot is an absolute bargain. You shouldn't be able to find an example with this much rich fruit and structure for such a modest price.
$8.99

2019 Chateau Fontaubert

This has an amazing texture, and is a great introduction to the lovely 2019 vintage.
Chateau Fontaubert is a silky flavorful blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Malbec. It drinks perfectly now and will continue to do so over the next couple of years.
$9.99

2016 Chateau Lestage, Listrac-Medoc

This Cru Bourgeois is from the southern part of the Haut Medoc, between Margaux and St. Julien. It's an attractive blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and just a touch of Petit Verdot. In this day and age where Grand Cru Bordeaux fetches over $100 to well over $1000 a bottle it is most welcome to find a solid and complete Cru Bourgeois that drinks perfectly right now for $20. Very appealing when first opened, it gets even better when allowed to breathe.
$19.99

The other place I get the balance of my wine is from www.lastbottlewines.com. Get the app and allow notifications and you will be notified of new deals as they are posted, usually around 50% discounts. I've had well over 95% satisfaction with purchases I've made from them, and their semi-annual marathons are especially great because there are no minimums.

The Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station usually has a pretty reasonable Sancerre by the glass, btw.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If this is still available, Chardonnay lovers should jump on this (click the picture for the link):

Curiouser
Reaction Score
purchase 6 bottles
Me too. I was hoping for only a four-bottle minimum for the free shipping because it's not something I drink a ton of these days, but after I read that he got the fruit from Carneros and Rutherford I wasn't bummed at having to get six.

I'm surprised they haven't sold out of it yet.

I was going to post the Gruner Veltliner deal from Mt. Carmel last Friday but they sold out shortly after I bought my case:

2018 Ecker Gruner Veltliner "Von Mitterstockstal" Austria

A perfectly delicious example of Gruner Veltliner, and a terrific summer white. It's clean and dry but shows good earthiness and minerality, with perfect balance. If you've never tried Gruner Veltliner, this is the perfect opportunity to try a textbook example. If you're already acquainted you'll appreciate just how exceptional a value this is.

$8.99 (was $16.99) only 5 cases

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom