9 months | Page 2 | The Boneyard

9 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's see if he claims to game plan for Villanova first (let alone Army).

That being said, what's the benefit of trying to separate the board yet again into pro and anti Diaco? Aren't there a whole mess of reasonable people in the middle who want him to succeed and if he doesn't, want him to move aside for the next guy? It seems like the only distinction you're making is between people that have already made their minds up based on the first year and those who are willing to see what happens next year.

The way we ended this season and knowing what we are losing, I'm certainly on the more pessimistic side but I haven't given up hope.

Is it possible to think he's not gonna work out here, and not think he should get fired yet all the while hoping I'm wrong?

Reaction Score
Not a goal Mr Met. An expectation.

Is it fair to expect a win 9 months from now against a team that today is better than UConn.

It's a simple yes or no question.

BTW I self edited my post before reading this, that was a typo. Nice catch.

Reaction Score
Didn't you all hear? Diaco says we are right in the middle of turning the corner. It just that the wins have not caught up yet. He also has the balls to argue that he could have won 4 or 5 games but that was not his objective this season. I wish I knew that before forking over $$ for season tickets. The thing about a great Bullsh!tter is the uncanny ability to keep folks believing in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. We either have a certified genius or pyscho on our hands. There is no in between. So far the scales point towards delusional flake.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Not sure if this makes me a Diacolyte or not but the one broad metric I wanted to see, which was a team improving over the course of 2014, we did not see in any area except possibly the OL. As of now, I kind of expect us to have a hard time with Nova to start 2015, but the same expectation will apply for the overall season, which is overall improvement so that the team looks better in November/December than they do in Sept/Oct. Which is a long winded way of saying I'm not going to put a lot of weight on whether we win or lose vs. Nova...

...unless we get outclassed like we did vs. Towson. Which would suck balls (and honestly would any of us be shocked at it) but would be forgiven if and only if we actually finally turn the corner in a tangible way in the next few games after that.

Reaction Score
am I wrong in stating that scuttling the team in year one is an Edsall like move? Not saying I am a fan of that, but Edsall seemed to do that both at UCONN and Maryland.

I hope that some of the cluster@#$# this year was some type of ritualistic self sabotage designed to make him look good in year 2 with his preferred type of QB at the helm.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edsall would talk about "execution" which is debatable. If the coaches design a game plan that should work, but player miss tackles, miss assignments, fumble the ball, commit penalties, and miss wide open receivers then "execution" was a factor. That doesn't excuse the coaches, who are responsible for the execution, but it's far different from repeatedly calling your team "bad" and "a mess".

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I think BlueDogs hit on the Crux of the Biscuit (to borrow from Frank Zappa). I totally get giving the players/teams individual metrics to focus on other than winning & losing because you're trying to get the stench of failure out of the locker room. The problem is that you're still selling tickets, vegas is still posting lines, conference partners are still expecting us to compete, etc.... What I HOPE (strong emphasis) is that Diaco is willingly taking the heat for all that. I prefer that hope to the despair of thinking we're just marking time until we can afford to try again with a new coach.

Reaction Score
Please tell me this is a joke. Your just needling with a post like this right. If in his second year, we are willing to cut him slack for a loss to Nova, WTF was the sense in firing P?

Not needling at all. We are the worst FBS team and Nova is a very good FCS team, much better than Stony Brook. I figure we will be starting a new QB in a new offensive system. Therefore I do not "expect" to win on opening day. I hope we win, I think we might be able to win, I just don't expect to win.

Reaction Score
What I HOPE (strong emphasis) is that Diaco is willingly taking the heat for all that. I prefer that hope to the despair of thinking we're just marking time until we can afford to try again with a new coach.

You think he's willingly taking the heat with all the comments he's made about the program and the players? To me it sounds like he's doing the opposite of taking the heat, and pointing the finger.

I understand he inherited a show, but even if it's not his fault, take accountability for the results and show some real leadership.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I have no idea why folks are upset at Whaler. Based on his premise, he believes UConn should be better than Nova. What is everyone arguing about?
fify

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My first kid will be here by then. If we win, he's good luck. If not he will be sacrificed. It's up to you, Diaco...

If Carl said this...well...I think the authorities would have to be alerted. Lol.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You think he's willingly taking the heat with all the comments he's made about the program and the players? To me it sounds like he's doing the opposite of taking the heat, and pointing the finger.

I understand he inherited a show, but even if it's not his fault, take accountability for the results and show some real leadership.

I think he's knowingly standing up in front of the media and tap dancing around a line of what he has to know is . I also observe that while he calls out the team with regularity he hasn't really thrown any players under a bus individually. Lastly, I'll let the players decide if they respond to his leadership; the only thing that will sway the boneyard is wins...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I just wanna know if any of us will actually get excited over anything leading up to next season or if this feeling we all have in our stomachs will remain leading right up until kickoff against 'Nova? I honestly can't think of ANYTHING that would make me have any optimism this off-season (minus a CR miracle but let's be real here!).

Reaction Score
Not needling at all. We are the worst FBS team and Nova is a very good FCS team, much better than Stony Brook. I figure we will be starting a new QB in a new offensive system. Therefore I do not "expect" to win on opening day. I hope we win, I think we might be able to win, I just don't expect to win.
Wow. I guess Diaco's first season was a success. He hammered home that we suck so bad, we got posters saying they "hope" to beat Nova. Mission accomplished Bob.

Reaction Score
I just wanna know if any of us will actually get excited over anything leading up to next season or if this feeling we all have in our stomachs will remain leading right up until kickoff against 'Nova? I honestly can't think of ANYTHING that would make me have any optimism this off-season (minus a CR miracle but let's be real here!).

If Shireffs can accurately throw a football I'll be a little more optimistic.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If Carl said this...well...I think the authorities would have to be alerted. Lol.
Ah I kid, I kid. I will say though that I was much more excited at the prospect of bringing mini CTMike to a game before this season unfolded. Now I just hope we aren't putrid before the kid can remember it.

Reaction Score
Wow. I guess Diaco's first season was a success. He hammered home that we suck so bad, we got posters saying they "hope" to beat Nova. Mission accomplished Bob.

Well if it was intentional I guess the good news is if we win 5-6 next year we're all of a sudden a 'team on the rise'. Maybe have a great 3rd (10-2) season and then CR pops up and boom maybe we finally get our ticket punched.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
9 months. A friggin' eternity. Hopefully, enough time for me to get back that 15-0 feeling.

Here's the scoop. There's talent on this team. There really is, and it's certainly talent enough to be successful in a league where no team is ranked in the top25. It's certainly talented enough to beat the likes of Villanova and Army. So the question is this: Can Diaco learn from the mistakes of his first ever year as head coach and grow into a real leader? Can he grow into the role that we need him to fill?

I'm hoping the answer is "yes". I'm hoping that the sacrifices of 2014 lead to the successes of 2015. There's not much else for me to say...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Give or take an AAC team being subbed in or out we should be facing:

Home: Nova, Army, USF, ECU, Houston (?) Memphis (?)

Away: Mizzou, BYU, UCF, Temple, Cincinnati, Tulsa (?)

I mean, off the bat take an L at Mizzou, BYU, UCF and Cincinnati.

As bad as we were (and I know I'm delusional) there's gotta be at least 4 wins out of the remaining 8 games.

To me it all comes down to Sherriffs and Davis or hopefully a Juco transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom