8th grader makes 17/24 3's in H.S. game. Guess where she wants to play in college? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

8th grader makes 17/24 3's in H.S. game. Guess where she wants to play in college?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That she has a stated goal of wanting the personal record of 18 will not impress a coach who does not want players who show concern for individual accomplishments.
Cmon. She’s 13 and having fun. And dreaming of being good enough for a program like UConn.

However, 5’1 at 13 is on the small side. Girls tend to grow earlier. Knowing her height genetics would be good.

Also, some of us senior citizens show a lot of optimism paying attention to potential recruits who are 5 years away from college

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Cmon. She’s 13 and having fun. And dreaming of being good enough for a program like UConn.

However, 5’1 at 13 is on the small side. Girls tend to grow earlier. Knowing her height genetics would be good.

Also, some of us senior citizens show a lot of optimism paying attention to potential recruits who are 5 years away from college

Ok, she has years to refine her priorities. Yup, give her that.

Reaction Score
Uconn is not a good choice for her. So she can make shots, so she is a big time scorer in high school. Geno could care less. He shows no respect for big time three point shoters, unless he has to.
Chong got no respect for her three point ability all we heard was how poor her D was.
KML is the only three point star that Geno did not get down on in recent years. He really needed her to score so the rest of her rather slow motion game got no mention. KLM would know defense if you showed her a video
This young kid better have great D and much more of a game to be successful at Uconn. KLS is one of the best from behind the arc and all we ever hear is "so she can score points" blah, blah blah, yada yada yada.
I know Geno is always trying to get more from his girls but his lack of respect for outside scorers is legend.
Have you ever heard Geno speak positively about any frosh's defense? :)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is the kid who beat Steph Curry in a three-point shooting contest a year or two ago - ESPN had an article about her on their ESPN W site.

I think the general take is that she’s really small, but still the real deal. She’s also not graduating high school until 2022, so a poke in the eye is due to anyone looking down their nose saying that UConn isn’t a good fit for the kid.

Miami offered her a scholarship when she was nine.

Reaction Score
I heard via unconfirmed sources that Muffet wants to know if she can be in South Bend by tonight. :rolleyes: :D

JAVA - CONFIRMED! She was off her tuffet, web in hand, as soon as she saw this thread.
(Just kidding - good one)

Reaction Score
“Kindly curmudgeon” has such a nice sound to it. What a wonderful philosophy for life!

MHS: Why, thank you yet again. Am all about versatility! And have always liked that " KC" label.... beats the hell out of "churlish SOB" which some might well find more fitting. (No need for the raising of hands as I know who you are; as De Niro would say, "I'm watching you!)

Reaction Score

COHEN: Good one. That Senior Citizen stuff is just a state of mind.. Hang onto that optimism you mention, as it's a good guide line for us all. Surely way better than the one my wife suggested should be my new motto: "A place for nothing and nothing in it's place." Mean spirited. ( :

Reaction Score
Her not getting the rest of the team involved with that big of a lead was very selfish. IMO that was more of a Jr. High talent than high school. That record should only count for the christain division.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
COHEN: Good one. That Senior Citizen stuff is just a state of mind.. Hang onto that optimism you mention, as it's a good guide line for us all. Surely way better than the one my wife suggested should be my new motto: "A place for nothing and nothing in it's place." Mean spirited. ( :
As an aside, I remember my grandmother, a European immigrant who lived with us, seeming so old by the time she was my age. I can’t imagine she could do the things I’m doing in my early 70s, lots of travel, outside activities. State of mind helps. Good health doesn’t hurt either.

As for young athletes, I spent last weekend amond others watching my 9 and 7 year old granddaughters play hoops. The older one is on two teams. She’s probably the best player on her team, a decent ball handler and shooter and a good, willing passer. But I can’t imagine her doing anything like that 13 year old when she hits that age, although a good all around athlete.

Little sister, on the other hand, is the dominant jock her age in town. Tough, strong and noticeably athletic and instinctive. Who knows what she’s capable of. At soccer and hoops she already makes some terrific passes. There is a girl on her team a year older than she who is already a terrific shooter and plays as well on one of my other granddaughter’s teams. Not very tall relatively speaking. Her mother is a D1 college varsity softball coach whose teams often win their league and qualify for the World Series and the kid has had solid coaching. But still, at such a young age who knows if any of these kids will stand out when they reach high school let alone play in college. I hope the 13 year old gets to live her dream, UConn or otherwise.

Reaction Score
As an aside, I remember my grandmother, a European immigrant who lived with us, seeming so old by the time she was my age. I can’t imagine she could do the things I’m doing in my early 70s, lots of travel, outside activities. State of mind helps. Good health doesn’t hurt either.

As for young athletes, I spent last weekend amond others watching my 9 and 7 year old granddaughters play hoops. The older one is on two teams. She’s probably the best player on her team, a decent ball handler and shooter and a good, willing passer. But I can’t imagine her doing anything like that 13 year old when she hits that age, although a good all around athlete.

COHEN: whole post QUITE interesting == glad you took the time to pass that along. For some reason, thoughts turn to Eddie Gottlieb. Are you old enuf to remember him?

Reaction Score
Well she does look superior to the kids she's facing, I would say small school or not that's a positive sign. Still time to be the #1 player in the class of 2022, but i think that honor will go to Ashlyn Wilkins from South Carolina. Following recruiting sure can age you.

She will,play aau and that will be a better indicator of her talents.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Interesting connection. I remember him but just looked at his bio. He came from where my 2 grandfathers came from, although he was a generation younger. During the first half or so of the 20th century, Jews were a big part of basketball. Unfortunately, jumping ability and being tall was not a common trait, so aside from a few notable exceptions, the role faded. Aside from Gottlieb, the leading names were Nat Holman, Abe Saperstein, the two “Reds”, Auerbach and Holtzman and Dolph Schayes whose son Danny played at Syracuse and in the NBA.

Reaction Score
That was horrible basketball. Never seen a group move slower on a basketball court in my life no matter what age. Newman looked light years faster two years ago. The rest were stunningly slow

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom